V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Here goes, I bought this 4-5 year carport neglected softail as my first Harley. Figured I'd modify and learn at the same time. I'm nearly done and I do have it rideable again. What da think so far?
Before:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And after, with help from the shop manual, internet, and friends.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this is my first. I plan to enjoy riding as much as the build. But, honestly it's going to be close. I really enjoyed building this one up.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Looks Good

Good job, she looks very good. A bike anyone would be very happy to ride.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ugly Ugly Ugly damn that thing is UGLY :D

j/k---- You said it sat for a few years, what if anything did you do to get it road worthy again? The cosmetic changes look great, I like those tombstone taillights. Is this your first Harley or first bike project?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nevermind on second look I don't think that is a tombstone tail light. Kinda hard to tell from the side. But it sure does look nice.
Jeff

·
Seasoned Rider
108 Posts
Wow...impressive. Are those all-chrome disk wheels? If so...where did you get 'em? They look sharp and i have been thinking about that for my Fatty.
Thanks,
Lubey

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments.
The wheels are polished Aluminum. I had a place in small shop in Atlanta do it that does the parts for the dealerships. They also did the rotors and the pulley for me. I like the aluminum because it doesn’t peel or rust. It will oxidize but it’s not bad at all to keep them up. Pretty reasonable in my opinion, only $60 per rim and they smoothed out the entire cast surface.
That is a tombstone on the back, I used an adapter plate from Custom Chrome so no additional bodywork was required. I like the laydown plates but couldn’t find anything to pit the tombstone. I took some Aluminum bar stock and made a 45 degree adapter. It looks a bit different and I like it.
The bike sat on a guys carport for about 4 years, He went through a divorce and basically just didn’t want her to have it. It hadn’t been started in most of that time. I put it on a trailer I borrowed from a friend and brought it home. I basically just changed all the fluids, tune up, fresh brakes and then fired her right up. Then I started collecting the parts. I’ve restored and modified cars since I was a kid so it only seemed natural to do the same. This is my first Harley but I’ve had other bikes from Honda’s to BMW’s. I still want to detail the engine but that’s a good winter project. For now, I’m trying to log a few miles. So far it’s been great.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Howdy,

Bravo. I am impressed. The before and after look like two totally different bikes. It truly is a transformation. I wish I had the ability to do such things. I have ten left thumbs. And thoses are broken. :)

Looks like you found a new hobby/busniess to me.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Looking at the pictures side by side, I would say that was two different bikes. You did a helleva job. Looks great!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
If you were smart about trolling Ebay you probably got a lot of the parts cheap too. I see take-off wheels, exhaust, fork lowers, lamps, seats....all for pennies on the retail dollar.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your exactly right, using Ebay to buy leftover parts from other bikes and selling my take offs. The finished cost is not that far from the purchased cost. Basically only time and fastener cost were needed. It was fun, I'd do it again. I really learned alot too. Definitely makes me feel more comfortable about riding around knowing how it works.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wow it does look like 2 different bikes. So the wheels are stock Fatboy wheels that you had polished? Is that correct? They look great.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes they were machine polished by a local shop. They do great work and very reasonable. Only $60 per wheel.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Sorry, you can't fool me. Those are definately two different bikes. You can fess up any time now. :rolleyes: Looks like a lot of work but, it was worth all the effort. I'm sure you are riding tall in that saddle.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
thats two different bikes!!!
damm that looks good.
what year is it?
it started life as a softail custom right?
biker

1 - 20 of 26 Posts