V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I'm commiting myself for the 95" budget build. Just bought a set of take off cylinders and heads off of eBay. I'm going to have the heads shipped to Big Boyz for the porting. After reading a bazzillion posts about 95" builds I find myself with a couple of questions. I'm going to use the SE flat top pistons which give a 9.4:1 compression as stated in the SE catalog. I haven't completely decided on the exact cam, looking at either the Andrews 37b or the TW44. I believe both of these cams like more compression and I would like to get about 9.8:1...will a .030 Cometic get me there or do I need the heads to be flycut? Will the stock pushrods be okay with both these cams and setup? My riding is about 90% solo, have a light bike (FXDI), some highway but mostly around town...and I like to ride the pi$$ out of it, which cam do you like and why? Will a TFI be able to tune this build? Any insight or thoughts will be appreciated!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey John,
When you send your heads up to Bean, ask him to measure them. Then you will know your chamber size and what piston you'll be able to use to get the CR you need for the cam you choose. I am sure you'll want to use the cometic .03 gasket to get a better squish than with a stock HG.
I would use the adjustable Push rods simply because if you need to go into the cam chest for any reason you won't have to remove the top stuff on the motor.
A far as cam i don't know much on the 44 but i would think the 37 would be a good choice.
If you keep a lower CR you might have to go with a difffernt cam like a 26 since i beleive the 37 likes a 9:8 to work the best.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
TW 44 cams

Hey if you decide to go with the TW44 let me know, I have a set of these for the chains if you want them. I bought them from my hd tech they have approx 500 mile on them. I decided to go a different route. I would take $140 shipped to your door. Let me know and good luck with the build.

Jim

[email protected]

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
You say "budget build".
Why wouldn't you just send your jugs and heads that you already own, to have worked on by the shop of your choice? It would seem that you have spent money unnecessarily on these takeoffs.

The 37 would be a good choice for the type of riding you do. Chain for budget, gears for reliability. Your choice. The stock pushrods should be fine. Save your money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
95" Budget build

I'm a street rider just like you (red light to red light). Bean is doing my heads right now. I talked to Ralph at andrews cams (847-759-0190 ) and he suggested the 26G cams for good low end torque (1800 - 5500 Rpm). He told me if I wanted to use 37g or higher, I really need to have higher compression (I have basicall same as you - 95" stage 2 w/flat top pistons). From all my research, I'm being told that high compression with more aggressive cams is great for horsepower at higher RPM, but if your cams don't really kick in until higher RPM, you may not be getting the effect you're looking for. My total upgrade from my stage 2 consists of Bean's street heads, andrews 26g cams and a V&H 2 into 1 pro pipe. You should talk to Bean if you haven't already.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The heads and jugs are on the way to Bean as we speak. I spoke to Bean today and clarified some things. The 37B or TW44 cam both need a little more compression. Bean's going to CC my heads and let me know where I stand...if they're large enough I will go with the SE High compression pistons, if they're too small I will have to have them decked and go with the flat tops. Since the flat tops and high compression pistons cost the same I'm hopeing that the heads will be large and save the cost of the decking. The Dyna is light and I like to let the engine rev and I tend to live on the right side of the tach...I think the 37B, TW44, or even the TW50 may suit my riding style. So, I'm waiting on the results of the CC'ing to determine what pistons to buy. Once installed, I can resale my take-offs and recoup my cash I layed out for the heads and jugs, there will be minimal downtime this way. Anyone have experience with the before mentioned cams?

·
Registered
2 Posts
John,
I had TW50's in my bagger. I live in Denver Alt 5200 Ft. Even with milled heads I couldn't make enough compression to run them. I replaced them with 203's. Now she runs Sweeeeet!

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Colorabee said:
John,
I had TW50's in my bagger. I live in Denver Alt 5200 Ft. Even with milled heads I couldn't make enough compression to run them. I replaced them with 203's. Now she runs Sweeeeet!
The more I read the farther away I'm getting from the TW50's...I think it's a little to much cam for me. It's between the 37B's and the TW44.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
As an option.......why not let one of the many machinists custom grind you some cams on Andrews blanks while you wait. That way after you talk with them you can get exactly or close to it the cam that meets your needs. It usually much cheaper too. Mine cost me around $150 to get done. I mean your waiting for head work right now....your custom cams would probably be back before your heads.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chopper blue de said:
Hey if you decide to go with the TW44 let me know, I have a set of these for the chains if you want them. I bought them from my hd tech they have approx 500 mile on them. I decided to go a different route. I would take $140 shipped to your door. Let me know and good luck with the build.

Jim

[email protected]
Jim, I sent you an email...thanks!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
A few years back I did a 95" "budget build" on my Dyna. I used S/E cyc. & flat tops, Cometic .030 head gasket and used the Harley cam change gasket set for the rest of the gaskets I needed. I got a set of new Cranes Cams (.505 lift) on sell for 125 bucks shipped! All Harley parts @ 20% off. I did my own head work, carb mods and used cheep (but good) slip-ons. 86HP and 95 Ftlbs TQ was great for my 1st shot at "budget build" on my 01 Dyna.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sounds like a good reliable mild build, 37's guaranteed to put a big grin on your face everytime you decide to get it on. I don't think the TFI is going to cut it tho. While it can add fuel, it cannot do anything for your timing, and I know your bike will ping real bad with out a ECM tuning device. With your build I would suggest at the minimum a PC111usb. You will be able to break it in with one of the canned maps made for the stage 1 ecm, 203 cams and exhaust of your choice, and if you cannot find a map in the dyna files they got some for the t-header in the touring files that will work. It will run pretty good with the canned map, Then when the motor is broke in, get a custom built map, then it will run great thru the whole power band
If you do most of your riding around town save your pennies for 3.37 primary gearing, after the other mods that will make your bike feel like a stoplight to stoplight dragbike.
AP

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Andrews TW44's

Okay, the cams have been bought...ended up with a good deal from a fellow forum member on some Andrews TW44's. I've searched the forum high and low and can't find a lot of info on the 44's. Andrews says 9.5:1 to 10.2:1 compression, whats the advantages/disadvantages to being in the upper/lower end of that range? Can I reuse the stock sprockets off of my low mileage OEM's? How would the +4 degree sprocket effect this cam and would it be recommended? The only thing left to buy is gaskets and pistons. I'm waiting for the heads to arrive at Bean's so he can CC the heads and I can figure out which pistons to buy. Can anyone recommend a good gasket set?

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is Woods cams the only maker of the +4 degree sprocket?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Crane Cams recently discontinued their 4 deg sprocket. I think Wood's is the only game in town now.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Gulfstream said:
Okay, the cams have been bought...ended up with a good deal from a fellow forum member on some Andrews TW44's. I've searched the forum high and low and can't find a lot of info on the 44's. Andrews says 9.5:1 to 10.2:1 compression, whats the advantages/disadvantages to being in the upper/lower end of that range?
Closing for the TW 44 is at 41 deg which gives you around 9.8 static and a ccp of 185 psi with flat top pistons with 0 deck and a .030 Cometic and 80 cc head volume. Advancing this cam by 4 deg would get you to about 190 psi ccp, don't know about any benefits of that.

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I just bought one and its a Woods. Before you go get one why not see how the bike runs with the regular cam sprocket once you get it timed properly. But if you need one I bought mine off of ebay for $72....should be able to find one on there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts