V-Twin Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are your rear isolators in place? If they are and they’re pointed the wrong way you will be missing about what you’re missing.

·
FOAD
410 Posts
The motor piovts left and right to get alignment with the transmission correct and sometimes you might even need to shim between the transmission and engine for up and down. I usually leave the inner primary seal out so I can slide the inner of and on until it just slides into place with very little effort.
The bolts that hold the motor and transmission together need to be done up tight as well when checking fit with the inner primary.
It's not hard but a little patience and this point will save you from a bigger headache later.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I have the original style mount. I may return it to OE style. I have this mount because I wheelie the bike and it prevents hammering on the stock style mount.
I’ll try it with the stock mount and see what happens. It is just WAY off as it sits.
I removed the from mount completely and I see no way that this primary will line with the case. The case is ultima early evo bottom breather. At a loss for the moment

here is a pic with the primary on mainshaft and no front mount installed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe you will find that once the original style lower-front-motor-mount w/isolator is mounted loose........and the two mounting-bolts between the transmission/engine interface are snugged-up semi-loose.....that you may just be able to twist the engine into a more rear location (and possible the alignment that you are looking for on the inner-primary.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Removed front mount completely backed trans bolts way out installed inner reinstalled everything and I’m lined up nicely without stress

APPRECIATE YOU GUYS

·
Registered
517 Posts
That front motor mount has nothing to do with the issue you are experiencing. Loosen the two engine to trans mounting bolts and slowly bring the inner primary in. Be careful not to bust the lip on the engine case. Tighten the engine/trans mounting bolts. Check your work by removing the inner primary. It should slip off with just a slight nudge. This process may have to be performed a few times before it is as good as it can be. Use an old or extra o-ring on the case the help align everything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Thanks turbo this is the process I performed and everything is stress free and happy, so am I. Next in line is the oil tank and oil cooler, tins are getting painted by a lady here in NorCal who does great work and I’m very excited to see.
I’ll be reaching out to the guys I’ve seen on the forum who have ran the MotoGadget blue. I think I will be going that route for wiring

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks turbo this is the process I performed and everything is stress free and happy, so am I. Next in line is the oil tank and oil cooler, tins are getting painted by a lady here in NorCal who does great work and I’m very excited to see.
I’ll be reaching out to the guys I’ve seen on the forum who have ran the MotoGadget blue. I think I will be going that route for wiring

Arnel Pio is the grand master/gold standard when it come to wiring an FXR with the M-Unit. He is easily found in the various FXR pages. Good dude.

·
FOAD
410 Posts
Thanks turbo
Thanks forum
I will give you one tip on the motogadget blue and that is do not run their wiring kit.
It's wiring sizes are way to big and just unnecessary for a FXR.
18 gauge works fine and even 20 gauge for the speed/dash lights etc and the hand controls which have no power through them and just become grounding switches.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Real quick fellas want to verify the oil lines at the tank.....???please reference photo

1-feed
2-vent
3-return

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Cool project...'tanks' for sharing(y)

·
Registered
17,643 Posts
Real quick fellas want to verify the oil lines at the tank.....???please reference photo View attachment 269185

1-feed
2-vent
3-return
It's been a while, but I seem to remember mine being vent, return, and feed (from inside out). I made a drawing as I pulled the lines, but I haven't seen it since I completed the new lines.

Sent from my captainhook455 clone device

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
191 Posts
My 82 tank looks like yours, but the vent is the outside one, then return, then feed closest to the middle.

·
Registered
1991 FLHTP
229 Posts
I was just thinking about this and my first thoughts are that if you looked inside the tank with a small flashlight, the tubes should extend different lengths inside the tank. I would think the feed would not extend into the tank hardly at all. The vent would probably be the longest tube inside the tank. The middle length tube would be the return. Is my thinking correct?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Those rims look 1000% better like that than stock (IMO).
I have a 9-spoke on the rear of my FXR powder-coated black. I’ll take it over most custom rims…

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Looks satin because my painter hasn’t cleared over it yet.
On the oil bag I know which is vent from using a flashlight and seeing the hole. The vent/return aren’t visible on the inside.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts