V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
In disguise
2,898 Posts
Those rims look 1000% better like that than stock (IMO).

Reactions: HOKA Hey Rider

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Nice, I love gold rims. Looking forward to following the project.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been riding my '85 FXRS since I bought her new in '85. I'm looking forward to any progress reports you have time to share. If it's not too much to ask...adding links or other contact information to the suppliers you're using would be appreciated.
As to the gold rims...well...Looks like a really top quality job. I know how "funky" my OEM rims are after 36 yrs and 305,000 miles. They could use some help appearance wise, that's for sure.
Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Did Baisley weld those chambers?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were already bathtubbed but a valve floated and exploded the guide everywhere and the piston pounded valve guide pieces into the head

Baisley took it on and cleaned up everything tigged the divots and really made them new again. He also set them up for the cam,coil bind and seat pressure stuff

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the updates. I've considered a frame-up restoration of my 1985 FXRS that I bought new in '85 for several years now....but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it.
(can I say that these days, or is "pull the trigger" hate speech..???)
Do I understand you...the steering lock hardware interferes with the 39mm forks..?? I've also considered converting my 35's to 39, but everytime I do...my mind starts down that old Rabbit hole that goes something like: "Well, if you're going to do that...you might as well go ahead and do...___(fill in the blank)...THEN...since you alread did all that...why not go ahead and do ___(fill in the blank). You get the idea. I eventually get to: "Guido...just pull EVERYTHING down and start with the frame." and that gets me back to the Trigger..! :rolleyes:
And I decide to just take a ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 39mm trees contact the OE steering lock loop so some of it needs to be cut out

it was recommended to me by a person who builds bikes to just concentrate on making it a roller. So I’ve come up with my suspension desires(within reason) and holding myself at bay. It’s so easy nowadays to one click purchasewithout monitoring your bank account.
I think once it’s a roller I’ll have a better understanding of the build

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve been wanting to rewire the bike with the motogadget m-unit blue

does anyone out there have any experience with it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the engine out of my bike, now. I've been walking past it in the garage for a few days - staring at it from time to time trying to convince myself its not worth rewiring just for an m unit blue. Everything I've seen about those has been good. If I had an electronic speedo signal, I'd have put one in a long time ago.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
39mm off a 99fxr and I want to say all 39mm contact the steering lock weldment is b frame

here’s the clearance and piece I cut off

·
Registered
97 Posts
Following information taken from an "Elvis" ad over on E-Bay.....but thought the information might be usable here:

"35mm front end frame lock tab from my 1986 FXRD. Removed so we could add a 39mm front end."

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unless you already have made the decision about the rear shocks I recommend you have a conversation with the folks at Pro-Action. I had them put a set on my '85 FXRS a couple of years back while at Bikeweek-Daytona, replacing the one year old Progressives. MAJOR improvement and well worth the cost difference.
btw: Is that 18,017 the price in US$ Elvis is asking for that part..??

·
Registered
83 FXR......93 FLHTP
25 Posts
Unless you already have made the decision about the rear shocks I recommend you have a conversation with the folks at Pro-Action. I had them put a set on my '85 FXRS a couple of years back while at Bikeweek-Daytona, replacing the one year old Progressives. MAJOR improvement and well worth the cost difference.
btw: Is that 18,017 the price in US$ Elvis is asking for that part..??
I haven’t heard of those rear shocks before. When I was in the market for rear shocks to replace the Progressive 418s on my 83 FXR I went with Race Tech 14s I always hear people talking about Ohlins and rightfully so or Progressive...FOX...Legend etc and I’d only heard about Race Tech when people talked about front end suspension but I couldn’t be happier with em on the rear.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts