V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm definitely a FNG when it comes to Sturgis. I tried to book hotel and the whole town (state?) is already booked up. Guess I'll be camping! I can deal with that, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Also, any other advice for my first Sturgis trip? I'm planning on being in town probably from August 1st to the 6th (planning on a 4 day ride each way fro L.A.)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Enjoy the Trip

Some quick hints:

1. enjoy your ride to and from (it can be great);
2. be prepared for ALL kinds of weather;
3. be careful in the desert (and drink a lot of water);
4. you can wash clothes (laundrymats or hotels--carry your own soap) on the way so you'll only need clothes for a few days;
5. carry a cell phone and motorcycle towing service card (or the tools
to handle your own repairs);
6. if you are travel with a group, make arrangements as to where you'll meet (or communicate) if you get separated; and
6. take lots of pics to share on the H/D Forum!!!!:D

I'm sure you'll get a lot of other very good ideas.

Oh, FifthGear and KrazyGG and many other Forum members will be getting together in the Sturgis area in 2003. There's a thread on that already. But stay tuned.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

Thanks! Even some of your tips that may seem common sense, I think I would've overlooked (Laundry! Towing Service!!!)

Please let me know if you think of anything else, and thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
If you want a hotel next time, you need to book at least a year in advance. We like to get Kamping Kabins and even those we book for the next year as we are checking out.

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
i, being local, like to promote the elk view campground. try visiting there web site.

www.elkviewcampground.com

it will provide you with the information that you need and give you pics to look at to see if that is the place for you

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Hotel in Keystone

OK, I already have tentative reservations for Rally 2003, near Deadwood. 'thought I'd do a fast check tonight and see what I could find within 100 miles of Sturgis for Rally.

Found (as of 10/18/02) that the Super 8 in Keystone/Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota (about 75 miles from Sturgis) has rooms available for $200/night. I made a "backup" reservation, just in case!!!!

So all you "I want to go but don't have a room" riders out there, there are rooms at the Super 8 in Keystone for $200/night. Make your reservations now. Or plan on paying really big bucks or camping.

And since I found my room in 5 minutes, if you do some searching you should be able to find rooms at other properties.

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
alot of people rent there houses out too, or rooms, usually, the century 21 will come out with listings as to who all does this, and the rates that the people charge. might want to check out there site. might be helpful

1 - 7 of 7 Posts