V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum as well as to Harleys and will have to learn all the differences over what I have always owned. I have had just about every brand of oriental bike as well as a old Trident back in the mid 70's but this '03RoadGlide is my 1st HD. I have not got to ride it much since the weather has been poor here in Virginia and I just got the bike the day after thanksgiving. I rode the other day and when I apply my front brakes I hear a hissing sound. A guy that owns a HD told me it was the drilled rotors. The brakes work great but it sounds weird. Probably is amplified due to the fairing. Thanks for any info. The bike is awesome though, wished I had bought one years ago!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
FULLDRAWMIKE said:
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum as well as to Harleys and will have to learn all the differences over what I have always owned. I have had just about every brand of oriental bike as well as a old Trident back in the mid 70's but this '03RoadGlide is my 1st HD. I have not got to ride it much since the weather has been poor here in Virginia and I just got the bike the day after thanksgiving. I rode the other day and when I apply my front brakes I hear a hissing sound. A guy that owns a HD told me it was the drilled rotors. The brakes work great but it sounds weird. Probably is amplified due to the fairing. Thanks for any info. The bike is awesome though, wished I had bought one years ago!
Hissing sound - that would be the sound of the brake pad rubbing against the rotor - it's normal. Congrats on the new RG - enjoy!

·
Registered
2020 Ultra Limited
176 Posts
A muted hissing is fine......... Squeaking or squealing is a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hissing is normal. You're in the perfect location to enjoy your new bike (when the weather breaks!).

·
TL
500 Posts
Welcome to the Board.

Standard equipment on that new Hog includes:

hissing brakes
fuel gauges that do not work
condensation in gauges
engine noise
slight pull to the left

Enjoy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Welcome to the board Mike,my RK hisses a little,turn the radio up u wont here it,(joke people),we need to get together and ride,i am in alexandria and my mom lives in stanley

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You gotta be a bowhunter with a user name like that?
I enjoy the sport also.
Ride the hell out that new ride, your gonna to love it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome & Enjoy!

The first ride I took on my '05 RK I noticed the hiss! The hiss is the pads. I'm going to change mine out to a different brand. I might have to experiment to find some that are quiet and will stop 1/2 ton. :blink: The OEM pads sound like the econo EBC pads I've fooled with in the past.

P:S
If you want your new scoot tested before the spring, send it down my way. I'll be glad to put a few thousand miles on it for you this winter. I will also give you a ride report when you pick it up! ;-)

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
FLHTDan said:
You gotta be a bowhunter with a user name like that?
I enjoy the sport also.
Ride the hell out that new ride, your gonna to love it!
Aww - I thought he was a beer drinker. :whisper:

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
tlewis said:
Welcome to the Board.

Standard equipment on that new Hog includes:

hissing brakes
fuel gauges that do not work
condensation in gauges
engine noise
slight pull to the left

Enjoy.
Mine pulls to whatever side of the road the bar is on....
Of course this is not my fault, I didn't train it, I bought it used.....:cheers:
it's my bike that has the drinking problem, I swear, I just go along with her to avoid confrontation...

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Welcome to one of the greatest V-Twin bulletin boards on the internet. You will gain a wealth of info here. It is addicting. You can read for hours...or days for that matter.

Try switching your brake pads to Lyndall Z pads. The hissing should go away. Do a search on this board and you will fing lots of info about these brake pads and where to get them.
The hissing is very common with HD stock pads.

Good luck,

YB

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to say WELCOME!! to the board and the Road Glide club, You definately did it right, you got the best harley by far!! And the Z-pads are great, M&M are the best price I could find, just over a hundred for all three sets with S&H. No more hissing! Oh yeah, the first thing you're gonna want is new speakers, I used rockford Fosgates but most here use hog tunes, rockfords a little cheaper but not much($20) plus hog tunes has outstanding customer service!

·
ALK
321 Posts
FULLDRAWLMIKE,

Enjoy your Road Glide...what many here consider one of the motor company's best kept secrets.

The brakes on my '04 squeel like a stuck hog, but stll hauls down the mass within very acceptable distances.

Now if they just hissed instead of squeeled.

Btw, many happy miles.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
RedDogFl said:
P:S
If you want your new scoot tested before the spring, send it down my way. I'll be glad to put a few thousand miles on it for you this winter. I will also give you a ride report when you pick it up! ;-)
Someone always has to be a smartass! :whistle:

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by adlerx
Mine pulls to whatever side of the road the bar is on....
Damn! That explains so much. I was gonna ask Harris about it, but now I know.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Hey congrats on the new bike. Great choice in your first HD. I am impressed. Post up some pics. There is a RG owners thread going in the touring section of this forum. Post up some pics on that thread when you can.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Your brakes need a few hundred miles to break in. After that, go out and get a decent set of pads. A few were mentioned here already. And congrats on your new ride!!!

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone!

You guys are great on responding and welcoming me! I was hoping this forum would be like this. I guess I will need to join as a premium member to post pics and will when I get home. At work right now. As for my screenname, someone suggested bowhunter, you were right on! Love it! Some pretty good hunting here in Virginia, took a 167" 11 pointer last year with my Mathews bow. Matter of fact it won the state championship as the largest taken with a bow in 04. Probably never happen again to me but it sure was an experience I will never forget. Someone else mentioned their mother lives in Stanley Virginia, my wife is from there! I am from Bristol Tennessee but have been here in the Valley about 11 years. It is great riding up here. As for my brakes, everyone thanks again. I will get the pads that someone mentioned when these get down a little more. I will try and figure out how to post a pic this weekend. Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts