V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I installed a Mustang Wide Solo on my FXD. The fit and finish are perfect. Two things surprised me, however. The back rest slips in and out rather easily. It would be so easy to steal. Do those who have them take them off and carry them into the hotel each night?

The second surprise is how loose the adjusting screw on the backrest is. I added a locking nut and will go to the harware store an get a nylock nut. Anyone have another solution to keeping the screw from backing out entirely?

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Yep on my Mustang Touring same thing. No worries on either though.

Yes I take it off when I am out of town or in large bike groups and lock it in the bag or pizza box. At night in the room. And although it slips in the channel very easily, it has never dropped any notches on me riding. It has a small ball bearing in it to latch.

On the adjuster screw, if you notice it takes only a few turns to bottom it one way or the other it still amazes me the difference in such a short throw. Mine really does not move around on me, nor come out, as it is preened on the end.

Been the same way for 2 years now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Mine's not preened. It screws right out. The lock nut is working fine.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Your adjusting screw shouldn't be loose.....at least mine isn't. I'd call Mustang....Good people.
As far as the backrest, I've got the same on my '05 XL and folded down you can't tell it's there unless you walk right up to it. The backrest won't do any one any good unless they too have a Mustang seat with the 'built in' backrest mounts.......Mine doesn't pull out easily either. I bought it in the fall of 2004 straight from the Mustang site.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mustang Seat with backrest

:beer: I recently got the solo Mustang seat for my Road King and so far really like it. The backrest does move easily but doesn't move around unless I push up or down on it. My set screw does not unscrew all the way since it has the stop built in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts