V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man, I have been using Mustang seats for years but I figured I would try out as many different seats as I could this time around on the new RK and finally, after 4 different seats including 2 different HD Sundowners, and a Mustang Sport Touring seat, I have to say that the full-on Mustang Touring Seat is THE mack daddy of seats in my book. This is the third one I have ownd on as many bikes and has got to be the most comfortable seat known to man. You think I would have know but I had to give the others a shot. Some were close, the Sport touring is real nice, but the full-on Mustang Touring wins hands down no contest. Lesson learned....again. :)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I rode home an hour from work on my stock HD Road King seat. When I got home, I put on my just delivered Mustang Touring solo seat and gave it a try. What a difference. At first it felt too hard and strangely awkward in the front because my legs had too much room. Kind of hard to explain unless you have the stock seat to compare to. Long story short... after a week or so, I can't imagine riding on the stock seat, and I thought the stock seat was comfortable. The back support is great. I don't have a backrest, but the way the seat is built, it really gives great back support. With the passenger pillion on, it's like sitting in a chair with the extra back padding it provides.

The only "problem" is that I need to get some new handlebars. I feel like I'm reaching too much. I have read a few accounts where Mustang seats move you forward, but mine really dropped me down and back. I already adjusted my bars, but either I need to do it again, or I just need to put on the Heritage Classic bars hanging in the garage. Maybe I'll get the Road King Touring bars instead...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mustang touring for sure. I bought an aftermarket HD seat and back rest for my 04 Fat Boy and ended up taking it back. It shoves you way forward on the tank, quality is lousy for the money and, the seat is not even that comfortable.
I just slapped on my new Mustang touring with a back rest. No comparison in quality, comfort, and looks!:woohoo:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
czar said:
I rode home an hour from work on my stock HD Road King seat. When I got home, I put on my just delivered Mustang Touring solo seat and gave it a try. What a difference. At first it felt too hard and strangely awkward in the front because my legs had too much room. Kind of hard to explain unless you have the stock seat to compare to. Long story short... after a week or so, I can't imagine riding on the stock seat, and I thought the stock seat was comfortable. The back support is great. I don't have a backrest, but the way the seat is built, it really gives great back support. With the passenger pillion on, it's like sitting in a chair with the extra back padding it provides.

The only "problem" is that I need to get some new handlebars. I feel like I'm reaching too much. I have read a few accounts where Mustang seats move you forward, but mine really dropped me down and back. I already adjusted my bars, but either I need to do it again, or I just need to put on the Heritage Classic bars hanging in the garage. Maybe I'll get the Road King Touring bars instead...
I am thinking about one of these with a passenger pillion. I am looking for a seat to move me back a little. This is good news reading that the seat moved you back and down. I will have to order one now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
04GLIDE said:
I am thinking about one of these with a passenger pillion. I am looking for a seat to move me back a little. This is good news reading that the seat moved you back and down. I will have to order one now.
I put a Wide Studded Super Touring Seat on my 05 Dyna WG around the first of November. Best money I ever spent on that bike. Lower back support is super. Seat is comfortable for multi-hour stretches. Never gota sore butt (us old guys don't have any ass at all). It set me up about an inch and a half and maybe back a half inch. One of the other posters to this thread said it put him more in touch with the bike, and that is absolutely true. I feel like I am nailed into the seat (I have to raise up just to pass gas! :banana: It just is a really comfortable seat that looks great on the bike. I has chrome studs all around. The front bucket has a full skirt with braided edge trim and leather tied conchos.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I put the Mustang Wide Touring on my 04 Lowrider after about 9000 miles on the stock seat which seemed to just start breaking down. Seemed like my butt was sitting on the frame. I really was impressed with the Mustang! Quite firm, but supported in the right places and the backrest was great. It moved me just a bit up and a bit back, but it was not a problem for me. I really liked it. However, I was still not satisfied with the overall comfort of the bike, so I just traded for an 06 Ultra. Now, I think I want the Mustang for it. I don't want to move back any, maybe up a little would be OK. Anybody had any experience with the Mustang Touring on an Ultra? The web site has a comment regarding accepting the factory backrest. Does that mean the H-D backrest, which I have?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received my Mustang Ultra Touring seat for 05 FLHTCUI a few weeks ago. So far, I'd have to say WOW! Big improvement over the stock seat. Even though the seat and stock backrests are made of different materials, they match up pretty well. My stock drivers backrest fits great with the Mustang Ultra Touring (75449). No regrets with the Mustang, can't wait to log more miles.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Finally the Best!

Not to be misunderstood, I have tried most and I am a convert.
The over the counter custom seats are like going from a Sears suit to a S&K menswear suit. Its all what you are used to. But if your budget can hadle it there is nothing like a custom made suit or in this case a Russell Day Long.
Just so you know I have never had a custom made suit but I am on my first Russell. I do not think I could ever go back.
Not to Hijack this thread but of the folks that love the others I would be curious to know who ever had a Russell and switched because of comfort (not looks) went to something else? Ultra04
P.S No ties to Russell other than a new customer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ultra04, post a photo of your bike so we can see your Russell seat. After all of my researching, I am down to these seats, Russell and Mustang. Nice thing about both is they offer a money back guarantee if the customer is not satisfied. Although, I have yet to see a negative post anywhere about a Russell seat.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Picture

Look at the thread called "New Seat". There is a picture there. Here is a link to their web site. Great warranty and excellant Service! http://www.day-long.com/
I had a friend in the car business that is fond of saying :There's an ass for every seat".... I guess that can be true for motorcycles also. :D Ultra04

·
Premium Member
132 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ultra04 I found the post, but since I am not a "member" I cant open those style attachments. I have seen some of Russells seats on their website though, they look nice. Heliman, your seat looks nice and is more in my price range I think. Thanks for the info, guys. Merry Christmas.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
No surprise the Mustang IS comfortable.

I'm 6'1" with a 35 inseam. Stock seat on the 02 Electra is ok heightwise, but I'd like to move back a little.
Will the Mustang 1 piece Ultra Touring move me back?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I decided to go with another Mustang for my Ultra. My reasoning is based on how well I liked the previous one, about half the cost, immediate availability, and if I decide later on to move on to a Russell, I think I could readily sell the Mustang...plus I would have a seat to use while the Russell is being built from my stock seat (which goes in the attic for a while :D )

Also, Russell says I would probably not be able to comfortably reach the ground with their's and would need to get used to sliding forward and almost standing when stopping. That concerned me quite a bit. I have plenty of leg length (30" inseam) with the stock seat and expect about the same with the Mustang. Russells rep. says this is easy to get used to doing, but I don't know... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Flyer...the Mustang moved me back a little bit on my Lowrider and raised me up just a bit. Neither was enough to bother, but I did have to reach a little further for the bars.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put a Vintage with backrest plus passenger seat on my DWG and feel like I am stretched out too far. I am 5-11 and am really uncomfortable! I have cranked the backrest forward and still find myself riding with one hand for comfort. A friend gave me some 2" up and 2" back risers to try and maybe coupled with moving the angle of the bars back some I can get comfortable again. I love the seat and backrest but am too far from the bars. I have been looking for an excuse to put on braided cables.......

·
Registered
146 Posts
dusty67 said:
A friend gave me some 2" up and 2" back risers to try and maybe coupled with moving the angle of the bars back some I can get comfortable again. I love the seat and backrest but am too far from the bars. I have been looking for an excuse to put on braided cables.......
I know where you are at. I put a mustang wide touring on my 05 WG and loved it, but it didn't feel just right. No backrest with mine, but a friend gave me some pullback risers, and they are still in the toolbox drawer. In the intervening time (2-3 weeks) I probably put a thousand miles on the current setup and inaverdantly changed my posture. Now I have plenty of reach for my short arms and it feels great AND natural. My posture was my problem all the time I believe. Good luck with yours....I figured out mine, and you will figure out yours. There is still nothing better than a mustang for riding all day (and it looks cool too).:chopper:

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Hey Frank:

Got a pic of your bike with it's final seat?

I 'll probably find it after this post LOL.

My police bike looks very much like your bike. I am ready to forget how the seat looks in order to relieve the monkey butt syndrome.

I need relief. Thanks

1 - 20 of 52 Posts