V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new Ultra Classic and love it, but am looking to upgrade to a Mustang seat based on prior great experiences with Mustangs. My questions are around which seat to get. Should it be a one-piece ultra touring smooth seat, a one-piece sport touring seat, or the Solo with a passenger pad?

I like the idea of the built-in backrest on the solos, but wonder if the backrest kits for the one-piece seats are just as good. I will never have a need for simply a Solo seat on the bike, so that's not an issue, but if styling or comfort of the solos exceed that of the one-pieces, I'd spend the extra $$ and get one.

Anybody have any experience, thoughts or insights into this dilema, I'd appreciate a response. As a final note, it's just as important that my passenger be as comfortable on long rides as me if that influences your feedback.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Just put the Mustang Spt. Touring seat on my RdGlde. It has almost the same appearance as the factory seat but it all stops there. Had the backrest with the fac. seat but it did not support my lower back at all. Cut the rods an inch to bring it down; added padding to the lower half; changed the angle of the mounting bracket, etc. Better but still lacking. Had the same questions as you about which Mustang to get. This one looks stock but is so much better it piss'es me off. I personally do not care for the extra-wide look some of the Mustangs have. However, any Mustang I've sat on (my wife's had 3) all seem a bit taller than stock. Still an excellent trade IMHO.

RR

·
Registered
15 Posts
Road Rocket (or anyone who knows), does the Mustang saddle offer the rider a butt position that is REARWARD compared to the usual Road King Touring seat?
I mean, do you sit farther back a little instead of more forward near the tank?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
It's really hard for me to say about forward / rearward position as that was not a problem for me with the stock seat. I do however notice that I am now able shift forward and rearward as needed to put my feet on the pegs, lean forward or backward, etc while riding for extended periods of time. One thing I learned I'll pass along. Buy from a dealer and it's yours, like it or not. Buy directly from Mustang and you have 10 days to return it for another seat or a refund. That was the route I took.

RR

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Good advice, bought mine direct also. I bought the solo with the fourteen inch pad. Love the built in back rest, really gives another option, just like having highway pegs.

Wife rides, and have had no complaints about the passenger pad. It's built really well, and had held up. The standard solo has enough of a dish that it supports some, but if you have any lower back problems, the built in rest is the way to go.

I'm not really sure how much difference there is between the two and the single piece. They look a lot the same, and it would be easier to get to the battery with the single, then removing both sections.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Can anyone advise as to how much higher (if any) the passenger sits. My girlfriend is very petite (4'11") and i have already added the adjustable rear passenger floor mounts to raise them up. If Connie were to sit much higher, hoever, it would be a backwards step, so to speak. We have a road king classic with the one peice classic seat. I like the idea of hte mustang solo due to the added back support.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
greg,

I have the mustang regal touring seat. I'd say the rear pillion is about three inches tall, which would lift your SO up a couple of inches.

Let me know if you want a pic.

wyo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts