V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still trying to find the perfect seat for my Fatboy. I have the HD one piece two up seat. It's very sleak, and comfortable, but it moves me too close to the tank with it's fairly radical back support. I bought a Corbin Classic Solo with pillion. Absolutely gorgeous and comfortable seat, but it also moves me forward too much. The only seat I've had that feels perfect in terms of "feet to controls" is the stock Fatboy seat. I don't even find it uncomfortable until I'm on it for a 100 mile + trip. I'm looking for something with studs, similar to the stock Fatboy seat with a rear pillion that doesn't hang over the sides of the rear fender and that doesn't move me forward or change my feet position too much. I like the wide classic touring seat from Mustange by looks, but I've heard it definitely lifts you up and in. True? I don't want to move any closer.
Any other "classic" Fatboy style seat that fit's what I'm looking for? Lepera Sanora? Saddleman Renegade?

Thanks!

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Options

I've had two mustang wide touring seats with backrest on both a Dyna and my Road Glide. The standard backrest does move you closer but they also offer an "Offset Driver Backrest Post"

Mustang's Offset Driver Backrest Post, part #75099, is available for riders looking to move back away from their handlebars and gas tank. This post replaces the standard driver backrest post in all Mustang solo seats that have the built-in driver backrest unit.

Offset post can be used with any Mustang solo with the driver backrest slot. It can also be used with most of Mustang's recessed passenger seats, but might interfere slightly with the front end of other Mustang rear seats. Mustang's recessed passenger seats come with a leather patch to help protect the seat from the driver backrest adjustment knob.

Price for part #75099 is $25.00
Good luck on your hunt for comfort.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I put the Mustang one piece touring seat on my Road King Custom about a month before we went to Sturgis 3450 miles. It would of been hell on my ass with the stock seat. For me it moved me up some(got used to that fast) but I did not notice it moving me any closer. I took the seat off when I traded it in on a FLHTCI so I guess I need to put it up for sell. It was very comfortable for me.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I always wish there was somewhere you could try
various seats before buying.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
My favorite on the FLST frame (and I've tried multiple stock, Mustang and Corbins) was the Corbin Gunfighter. It has a "and Lady" option for 2-up. I was back 2" and down 1.5" from stock. Lots of support, long haul comfort with the back rest on. Good quality, sleek look.

·
ezpass
37 Posts
JagmanR said:
I am still trying to find the perfect seat for my Fatboy. I have the HD one piece two up seat. It's very sleak, and comfortable, but it moves me too close to the tank with it's fairly radical back support. I bought a Corbin Classic Solo with pillion. Absolutely gorgeous and comfortable seat, but it also moves me forward too much. The only seat I've had that feels perfect in terms of "feet to controls" is the stock Fatboy seat. I don't even find it uncomfortable until I'm on it for a 100 mile + trip. I'm looking for something with studs, similar to the stock Fatboy seat with a rear pillion that doesn't hang over the sides of the rear fender and that doesn't move me forward or change my feet position too much. I like the wide classic touring seat from Mustange by looks, but I've heard it definitely lifts you up and in. True? I don't want to move any closer.
Any other "classic" Fatboy style seat that fit's what I'm looking for? Lepera Sanora? Saddleman Renegade?

Thanks!
Have you considered the Heritage stock seat? It's a bit more comfortable then the stock FB seat without compromizing your riding position (may be just slightly) and it has the look you're looking for. I put in on my FB a few weeks ago. Feels just right.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pcma said:
Have you considered the Heritage stock seat? It's a bit more comfortable then the stock FB seat without compromizing your riding position (may be just slightly) and it has the look you're looking for. I put in on my FB a few weeks ago. Feels just right.
PC...I actually have and maybe should just do that. What rear pillion, if any, did you go with? Any chance for a pic?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HD-LUX said:
My favorite on the FLST frame (and I've tried multiple stock, Mustang and Corbins) was the Corbin Gunfighter. It has a "and Lady" option for 2-up. I was back 2" and down 1.5" from stock. Lots of support, long haul comfort with the back rest on. Good quality, sleek look.
Lux...I've admired that seat for a while now and if it doesn't move you forward, (not sure about 2" back though, that's quite a bit), I may have to go that route. What do you ride? Can you post any pics?

·
Registered
96 Posts
JagmanR said:

Thanks!
I have the Mustang wide classic touring seat on my heritage, when it was new I noticed that I sat up higher but after breakin it has settled in and feels good. I do not have a rider backrest but noticed that the back of the rider seat has more support support for the lower back than the stock ever did. I also have the fatboy tank panel and the braids on the seat match. One thing I did not like was the huge rider pilion that came with the touring seat so I exchanged it for the smaller pillion (12"?).

·
ezpass
37 Posts
JagmanR said:
PC...I actually have and maybe should just do that. What rear pillion, if any, did you go with? Any chance for a pic?
I'm using the stock Heritage pillion. IMO it looks better then the stock FB one. It's a bit taller (better back support) but a bit more narrow, although the listed measurements are the same. I posted a few pics of my bike in the Member Galleries forum (look under PCMA). Let me know if you can't find them and I'll post a few in this discussion.
-Alex

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Mustang Wide touring moved me up a smidgen but not forward on the wide glide......

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,607 Posts
I put a Mustang wide touring, no back rest, on my FXRT. It moved me up a bit and back 2 bits. Very comfortable on trips up to four hours ( the farthest I've gone since installing the seat), no ache or numbness at all. I wouldn't call it sleek but that's a non-issue to me.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
My Mustang solo for my Road King moved me back and lower in the seat. I read that it puts you closer and up on the bike. I don't know if I just got lucky or if its just the way the individual sits on their bike.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
if I'm not too late..

I put the Mustang on my 05 Fattie. Love the seat. I sit a bit lower and it gave better back support. Also, it really makes me feel more connected to the bike. Good luck

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies!

I have narrowed my next seat selection down to these seats:

-Lepera Sonora Custom with matching pillion

-Lepera Maverick studded

-Lepera Sorrento studded

I believe I'll go with the "foam" program where they send you the actual seat less the exterior cover. You can install on the bike and determine an exact fit, make notations of the adjustments and send it back for finishing.

Kevin

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
JagmanR said:
Lux...What do you ride? Can you post any pics?
I use the Gunfighter on a 2005 Softail Deluxe. I have the Corbin Classic Solo on now. Love it, same position just a little less back support. Gunfighter is still the most comfortable. Gonna sell my Gunfighter. Maybe 3K miles on it, garaged, no wear, no marks, lots of TLC and leather protector (note the sales job).

Here is an older picture with the Gunfighter on.

(click the picture for a larger image)

Here's a recent picture with the solo on.

(click the picture for a larger image)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Having never tried any other seat maker except HD prior to my new Mustang Solo for my Road King...

I can say that this Mustang seat is awesome. It fits perfect. I feel like I am actually further back and lower than stock too. The back support is better than leaning on a sleeping bag strapped to the passenger pillion on those long trips. With the Mustang pillion seat (I got the 13.5), the extra back support is like having a backrest.

Simply put, I am amazed at the difference the new seat made in comfort. I am sure that many other brands are equally comfortable and I'm not saying Mustang is the best, etc., etc.... my stock HD seat was good for 1000 mile days, so it's all what you can deal with.

...but if I knew how comfortable Mustang seats were, I would of bought one a long time ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
put a mustang solo on my FXST and didn't like it.....too low and too far back for me. But I like the stock seat, so :wacko:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mustang Seats

I like the wide classic touring seat from Mustange by looks said:
I put a Wide Studded Super Touring Seat on my 05 Dyna WG around the first of November. Best money I ever spent on that bike. Lower back support is super. Seat is comfortable for multi-hour stretches. Never gota sore butt (us old guys don't have any ass at all). It set me up about an inch and a half and maybe back a half inch. One of the other posters to this thread said it put him more in touch with the bike, and that is absolutely true. I feel like I am nailed into the seat (I have to raise up just to pass gas!:duh?: It just is a really comfortable seat that looks great on the bike. I has chrome studs all around. The front bucket has a full skirt with braided edge trim and leather tied conchos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts