V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Mustang studded seat for my wife's Dyna. She is as high as she can be with the stock seat. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the stock Dyna 05 seat with the Mustang studded with back rest one. If so, how did it move you. I'm hoping for forward and down a bit. If it's up and back, that might not be the best fit for her.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
jkane said:
I am considering the Mustang studded seat for my wife's Dyna. She is as high as she can be with the stock seat. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the stock Dyna 05 seat with the Mustang studded with back rest one. If so, how did it move you. I'm hoping for forward and down a bit. If it's up and back, that might not be the best fit for her.
Not sure which seat you are refering to but... I got a non-studded wide vintage solo w/backrest for my 05 FXD and it put me 1" to 1 1/2" forward, way too much for me. I don't know about the up or down, seat wasn't on the bike long enough to tell. I returned it.

Hope this helps.

For me at least, the stock 2-up seat is about right front to back- could be a bit higher for leg position on midpegs, but the handle bars needed to come up 3" and pull back 2" to get right hand position and keep me from leaning over tank (and hurting my back). No one makes a set of risers to do this. I used 4 1/2" high pullbacks (which I may wind up cutting down to 3"-3 1/2" later) and turned the bars down slightly. Not the best hand position but not too bad. I couldn't move seating position forward cause this cramped my feet on the stock-location midpegs. However, "stock", the HD type highway pegs are too far forward. I used Kurikan 'X' Tensions on the stock chrome plates and wide Iso-pegs to move location back some and help my rt knee to clear the aircleaner. Went 625 miles one weekend, no cramps and no lingering stiffness (I'm 62-good test of fit!).

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Captain Bligh said:
On a Road King, the Mustang moves you higher about an inch.
Yea, what he said.^rolleyez^

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
It depends on which seat you put on. Not all Mustang seats are the same. I bought a wide solo for my EG and it moved me back 1 1/2" and down 1". I know the touring seat is higher and moves you forward a little.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
04GLIDE said:
It depends on which seat you put on. Not all Mustang seats are the same...I know the touring seat is higher and moves you forward a little.
Yeppers, that's what I was talking about. I have the two-up wide touring seat on my RK. Moved me up an inch and forward about an inch.

·
Just Sayin'
2,529 Posts
On my 05 Lowrider, my Mustang Wide Vintage Solo, moved me back about an inch or so and up a little. Just what I wanted for me. :woohoo: The stock seat seemed to shove me forward way too much. I'd take your wife to a shop that lets you try some of the seats. I've seen them in some of the dealers. Also you might ask some of your riding pards if she could sit on their Dyna's and see about the fit if the don't have a stock seat. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
62 Posts
here's a copy of Mustang's support desk i got regarding the street bob:

Questions:

Hi there.
I wanted to know from you how will replacing the stock solo seat on my '06
FXDBi street-bob with your new wide vintage solo seat effect my riding
position?
will it move me backwards? forward? up? down?
thank you
Ezra
Tel-Aviv, Israel

Answear:

Ezra,

Mustang's solo seats for the Dyna models will move the driver one inch
forward and will raise the driver's seating height by one inch over stock.
Thanks for choosing Mustang, and let us know if we can help you further.

Customer Service

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thanks for the great answers. Too bad each one is different. Haven't been able to find a dealer that has them in stock to try out. Going to a motorcycle show in Chicago in a couple weeks. Hoping to see some there.

We're looking at the Wide Studded Solo with Built-in Removable Backrest and then getting the mathcin recessed passenger seat too. Mustang part 79338.

·
Registered
22 Posts
jkane....

take the tip from bobbrider and e-mail Mustang (on their website) with the details of your scooter, the particular seat your interested in and question them on the position changes for that seat. They were very prompt in their response to all of my queries.

daddio

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like all their seats do the same thing. Up and forward an inch. They were pretty quick to respond. I guess since she's on a trike, the up an inch isn't a big deal. Her feet don't need to reach the ground! She said that she thought an inch up would put her closer to the right place for the handlebars anyhow. It's pretty likely we'll get the Mustang seat before spring.

Thanks again for all you guys (and maybe gals) help and suggestions.

From Mustang:
Jeff,
If the stock HD seat fits on the trike, then the Mustang seats will also fit
without any modifications. But, due to the thickness and firmness of our
seat foam, both seats will raise the driver's seating height by at least one
inch over stock, besides moving the driver about one inch forward. We do not
offer any seats that are equal to or lower than stock.
Thanks for your interest in Mustang, and let us know if we can help you
further.
Customer Service

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
jkane:

I've got the wide vintage solo w/backrest and passenger pad on my '04 FXDL. The biggest change I noticed is that the sides of the seat hit my inner thighs. It's noticeable to the point where I *might* get it trimmed at a show, however that notwithstanding I can ride all day (biggest impact is at a light). The stock seat was good for 50 miles. I'm kind of small (5'8" with a 31" waist) and need to pull the handlebars back a little, but other than that it's a great seat. The backrest is a lifesaver. I didn't notice much change front to back over stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts