V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ha e had this bike about a year. It's time to put some money towards maki g it the bike I want. I have asked this before and was told to dump it In a lake. Meh. The bike is a 2009 HD superglide FXD. The seat is okay, a bit wide, I plan on switching that. I'm looking for any issues common to this year bike. Nothing is wrong, I'm just trying to get ahead of any issues. I am also looking at take kits. I'll get a link to what I'm looking at. I was also interested in an open primary to. What are the benifets of an open primary as well as the cons. Sorry I'm so vague with the questions. That's why I'm the gray man. I'm not typically a question asker.

·
Registered
912 Posts
There's nothing besides normal maintenance and keeping an eye on things that would improve the reliability of the bike, which is what I think you're asking. All I can think of is to flush the brake fluid and put in new. Should be done every 2 years.
You've been riding it for a year, and figured out you need a new seat. That shows you've been pretty happy with it.
I had a bigger list for mine after a year, but mostly just wanted a little more power. Changing the intake by itself is more of a cosmetic thing and the bike runs lean enough from the factory. Now, add an exhaust and a tuner and you can pick up about 10% more power, it will run cooler and have better response.
I don't know anything about open primaries except from what I've read and seen. Just not my cup of tea. I kind of like my primary without exposed moving parts, and the clutch running in oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's nothing besides normal maintenance and keeping an eye on things that would improve the reliability of the bike, which is what I think you're asking. All I can think of is to flush the brake fluid and put in new. Should be done every 2 years.
You've been riding it for a year, and figured out you need a new seat. That shows you've been pretty happy with it.
I had a bigger list for mine after a year, but mostly just wanted a little more power. Changing the intake by itself is more of a cosmetic thing and the bike runs lean enough from the factory. Now, add an exhaust and a tuner and you can pick up about 10% more power, it will run cooler and have better response.
I don't know anything about open primaries except from what I've read and seen. Just not my cup of tea. I kind of like my primary without exposed moving parts, and the clutch running in oil.
Yeah, and you know, I refused this bike for almost 2 years because I diddnt want a Harley, lol. I do really like the bike though.

This is it. I was thinking about getting one of those FP3 things from Vance and Hines. And I must have new slip on pipes. These ones have been punched. So I did new tires, oils and all fluids.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke wheels are a pain to keep clean plus tubes run about $16 and up. Mags are easier and a hole can be plugged. I have thought about the 3 blade mag that has a flame cut.2¢

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Thank you. I was trying to figure a way out to ask that very question.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Thank you. I was trying to figure a way out to ask that very question.
Research Southern Machine Company. They have some nice mags for $1,000 each. My granddaughter and her husband own my heritage he bought one for the rear and is saving for the other.

·
Registered
2001 Road King 95” and 2007 Dyna Lowrider
11 Posts
Will you be carrying a passenger much? If so, a Sundowner seat from Harley is an option your riding partner will appreciate. LED headlight and tail light make a huge improvement if you plan to ride after dark. Even if you don’t, they are much more visible to cagers. Exhaust, intake and a tune (or tuner) are worth the money if you plan to keep the bike.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
A Badlands stop/go/run module with the red lens puts more light on the rear. You are a speck of light at night to a cager best to wear a led suit like the Midnight Cowboy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will you be carrying a passenger much? If so, a Sundowner seat from Harley is an option your riding partner will appreciate. LED headlight and tail light make a huge improvement if you plan to ride after dark. Even if you don’t, they are much more visible to cagers. Exhaust, intake and a tune (or tuner) are worth the money if you plan to keep the bike.

yup, im reading up on exaust and intake now. that along with wheels have to wait. my brother borrowed my bike, he said tbe clitch needs doing so when the shop manuel comes ill be going front to back on the bike. i need a ew headlight housing, the one i have now is rattling lose. Then im waiting for the left indicater that got bent in my wreck. so i habe my work cut out for me there. that and i eed to take as much stiff off as i can and just clean it. this time next year my dyna will be like that lady we al know that can roll out of bed, do up a pony tail and be gorgeous. so im thinking after the basic used bime stuff ill stick with the OEM wheels., but the seat has to go.

·
Registered
2008 FXDB
55 Posts
I have a 2008 FXDB with about 30k miles. Oils, break fluid, break pads, tires, gas is all you need.
You might want a touring seat, especially if you have a passenger you want to keep happy. Mine also likes drop foot pegs, back rest, windshield, tour bag. 😒🙄
Best upgrade was suspension. Drag adjustable in rear and progressive up front. Power is always a money pit, I've done stuff in that department, but feels like a waste of money, because the pig is never fast enough. But is, really.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
I have a 2008 FXDB with about 30k miles. Oils, break fluid, break pads, tires, gas is all you need.
You might want a touring seat, especially if you have a passenger you want to keep happy. Mine also likes drop foot pegs, back rest, windshield, tour bag.
Best upgrade was suspension. Drag adjustable in rear and progressive up front. Power is always a money pit, I've done stuff in that department, but feels like a waste of money, because the pig is never fast enough. But is, really.
I always wanted to ask this question of someone who rides a dyna a lot, because if I ask on the fxr forum they would have a cow. So do you think a dyna is a modern version of a fxr and does it ride better? Idk about the latter part of the question seems no one leaves the suspension unmolested for long.

·
Registered
2008 FXDB
55 Posts
Better is subjective.

I don't have an FXR , so the bike i have rides better than the bike I don't have. 🧘🏼‍♂️;)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I always wanted to ask this question of someone who rides a dyna a lot, because if I ask on the fxr forum they would have a cow. So do you think a dyna is a modern version of a fxr and does it ride better?...

WTF is wrong with you, cap?!! Are you fvcking insane?!!
How the FVCK could you even...?!!
Moooo!! MOOOO!!

HaHa!

·
Registered
13 Posts
is dyna a modern fxr and handle better? no and no. my 97 fxd handles like a chopper and is not a motorcyclist's motorcycle. it is good for a back up motorcycle while you fix your main rider which is what i use it for. only rode an evo fxr once when they came out. sweet ride but i wasnt ready for its look and rice looking motor. wish i had gotten a carbureted sportster 1200r instead of the fxd. things i like about my fxd; carburetor, no antilock brakes, no radiator, no computer except for ig module, only 1 camshaft, only 2 valves/cyl, no need to go to dealer ever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts