V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Seasoned and Baked
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a gas station with my 70 Cuda (below) when two Harley Riders pulled in for fuel. Within 60 seconds they were over to the car and BS'ing with me about cars and the good old days. It got me to thinking about how many Harley owners used to, or still do own muscle cars. Comments?

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Nice Cuda! I used to own a 79 Camaro with a 305 V8 and a four-speed stick. I loved that funky old car.

·
" WFFW "
729 Posts
I think it goes hand in hand , I'm researching now about dropping a V8 into a jeep cherokee or building a hearse.

nice cuda !! I had a 69 and a 70 ....and a road runner......wish the hell I would have kept the 70 cuda

·
Registered
844 Posts
When you think about it, Harley's still look very similar to the way they looked back when your Cuda was made. There are of course exceptions like the V-Rod, but Softails and some of the others still hold true to the classic styling they were born with. I think the muscle car guys dig this. I really wish I could have an old classic car, in addition to the modern cars I've got. It'd be lots of fun.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
A regular guy with a $300 tool set could work on these muscle cars and did all of the time. When cars got more complicated, the tools got more expensive and you needed some training.
Most of the bikes today are like that, the HD is a refreshing change. WE can do all of the work with pretty much basic tools, except for EFI and the new brake systems.

I think that this is why a lot of HD owners like muscle cars.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Street rods I have owned :
57 Chevy p/u 327 turbo 350
65 El Camino LT1 350 4 spd posi
66 Mustang Fastback built 289
82 Camaro built 350

BTW very nice Cuda you have there.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
WideOne said:
I was at a gas station with my 70 Cuda (below) when two Harley Riders pulled in for fuel. Within 60 seconds they were over to the car and BS'ing with me about cars and the good old days. It got me to thinking about how many Harley owners used to, or still do own muscle cars. Comments?

Both go hand in hand. Use to have a 69 SS Chevelle. Does the muscle cars of the future count, like the 2009 SS Camaro? Just check'n to see if I'm still in the loop. :D

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I've spent time in both arenas, and generally speaking I like the Harley crowd better. Car guys tend to be more competitive, where the Harley guys are more about the ride and camaraderie.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Gas prices being what they are, my Harley has kept my 72 El Camino in the garage for most of the summer cruise nights.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
69 Superbee here...would crawl through busted glass to have that car now. It's amazing that when you owned a car in 1971 you just didn't think about that far future. Geez..what a car. Automatic on the column...and if you didn't have me by at least 2 car-lengths when it caught second gear you were just gonna watch my tail lights get smaller....

My high school days were '68 - '72. The parking lot looked like a muscle car sales lot...(lots of farmers with money). The only Harley owners who REALLY "feel" the pull and "meaning" of the muscle cars are the ones who were either driving them or wanted to...but just couldn't afford it. It's just not the same if you didn't drvie around the main drag back then. Small towns, A&W, Dairy Queen, local joints....all were spots to drive around. Dang I miss it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like the years '66 - 72 were the REAL muscle car days. Mopar, Big Block Chevys, Olds/Buick 455, Cobrajet......

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yup,had quite a few cars over the years but I mostly wish I still had my '69 Camaro.
I put in an L71 Corvette 427 in place of the 327 it had and backed it up with a Super T10 4 speed,oh what fun! :)
I still like big engines,my '78 GMC 4X4 has a mild built 454 BB Chevy and my '76 Tahiti jetboat has BB ford 460.~!Awesome!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
steveusmc said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like the years '66 - 72 were the REAL muscle car days. Mopar, Big Block Chevys, Olds/Buick 455, Cobrajet......
Sure they were and cruising the main gut was the thing to do.
The cruising days are pretty much gone now but there are still some real muscle cars,the difference is that most of us can't afford one.
Back in the day many of the hot cars were affordable,not so much now.
If I had the cash for a fast toy I'd look at a Shelby Mustang .
If you really have bucks you can get the Supersnake with 725hp!
You can't say that's not a muscle car.
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2007/news0136supersnake.php

Even the somewhat affordable Mustang GT is a pretty damn fast car.
Shoot,my wifes '05 V-6 Stang is actually faster than a lot of the V-8 cars from back then,it really scoots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been a muscle car guy all my life, have owned probably all of them at one time or another. I kept my first car, a 70 nova ss, which my grandad gave to me at 16. Been painted so many times i've lost count, and motors,well lets just say i'm glad i get them cheap. But the one thing i always wanted was a harley and unfortunetly i had to wait a long time to get one and only having my '08 883L for only three weeks I'm considering getting another in the near future. IMO I think harley and muscle cars go hand in hand, most my friends have them and love harleys just as well. My nova has kind of got shoved over to make room for the new girl, but I dont think it minds lol.

·
Seasoned and Baked
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
steveusmc said:
Very close. The first muscle car was considered to be the first GTO (1964). The last good year was 1971. May big block engines were gone, lowered compression castrated many others and HP dropped noticeably in 1972. :(

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
WideOne said:

I think the two 'types' of guys have a whole lot in common. If you ask most riders over the age of 40 or so, they would say they had some type of
custom/performance car at one time or another.
Mine were:
40 Ford coupe w/ 500 c.u.i. 2-4bbl Caddy engine
66 Vette (roadster) 350 LT1
66 Vette (coupe) 427/435 (raced SCCA with it on weekends in S. Cal)
68 Mustang (convertible) 302 GT
69 Chevelle 396 4 speed
64 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 421 w/2 4bbl
71 Datsun 240Z w/ 350 chevy and 400 Turbo Automatic
1997 Grand Prix GTP w/ trans kit/cold air intake/super charger tweaks/headers
Race Cars were:
C-Gas 41 Ford pickup
C-Altered Opel wagon

As someone else said in reply "I would crawl thru glass" to have just about any of them again. lol

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
I've spent time in both arenas, and generally speaking I like the Harley crowd better. Car guys tend to be more competitive, where the Harley guys are more about the ride and camaraderie.
Just got back from Street Vibrations in Reno. While there I just happened to strike up a conversation with the people doing security many of whom were from the Marine Mountian Warfare traing camp down the road near Bridgeport.

There are two big events every year. Street Vibrations is a bike event and Hot August Nights is a car event. The local law enforcement volunteers for SV but will not for HAN and they have to be assigned to duty according to what the local security guys told me. Who knows but it makes one wonder.

I still like mucle cars.................nice Cuda

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The most celebrated muscle cars are expensive now, but were expensive then, also. The 429 cobrajet mustang, the superbee, the Datona special, anything by Carrol Shelby. The road runners with the 383 that were affordable then can be had now, but just try to find a 72 hurst 442, a charger or challenger with a 440. Those are hard to find and expensive, too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
Yeah, and they like to spend WAY too much time sitting on lawn chairs 5 feet away from their car at shows every chance they get, while people walk past and shrug their shoulders at those lame dolls that lean up against the car and look in...

BTW, what IS it with those dolls they use?

Here's an example:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Misterb said:
Yeah, and they like to spend WAY too much time sitting on lawn chairs 5 feet away from their car at shows every chance they get, while people walk past and shrug their shoulders at those lame dolls that lean up against the car and look in...

BTW, what IS it with those dolls they use?

Here's an example:

I believe that might be me as a kid looking for the keys:woohoo:

·
Registered
18 Posts
My first car in 1987 was a 1967 SS/RS camaro (4 speed). My day and I semi-restored it. It was sweet. I think the rumble of a nice lopey V8 and Harley are music to my ears. I wish I kept the car and lost the girl I sold it for.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts