V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
I guess I need this forum more than it needs me but here goes.....
I Live in Leicester UK, on my third Buell (second Harley, first was Sportster) - current Buell is 2010 Ulysses, 10k miles, with luggage, waiting for virus to stop before touring/camping.
Recently I have acquired two more v twins and my garage is now full but only the Buell is roadworthy, hence my need for the forum - help.

Firstly, a mad (foolish) purchase - a 1999 Confederate Hellcat, Merch Motors 120Ci motor, with less than 4k miles on it - should never have gone to look at it because once I saw it I had to have it - jeez. It runs but needs some love, can't get the thing to go into neutral - no matter how many times I adjust the clutch. Conclusion is that the belt primary is too tight, problem is I don't yet know how to move the transmission to adjust the tension. So I'll be onto the Confederate forum and hope to get advice....

Yesterday, again I shouldn't have gone to look. but I went to an auction to see a 1993 FXRS-SP with 2.5k miles on it. It was in incredible condition and as I've been looking for one for years, I had to have it!
It doesn't run. There was an old alarm on it that I've now taken off and it turns over but no spark. Think it's the coil so more help needed there - maybe a new ignition system - one of them fancy adjustable ones but don't know where to get one or which to choose.

So that's me, garage full, one bike works - all air cooled v twins!

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
you coulď use the one in the confederate,,, to test it... most of the engine and electrical components,,, up to and including the entire engines are a near direct bolt in for the fxr and the confederate... the rest of the drive line,,, not so much,,, there are differences between the softail style trans and primary drive and fxr drive..

i dont believe you will be able to utilize the 120 engine in the confederate anywhere near its potential,,, except in a straight line,, conversely the fxr just needs more power and brakes to make serious fun factor

·
Registered
16,954 Posts
This is a job for Superman.....I mean Racepress.
It's a job for anybody that can wrench a little. Only reason I used my human crane (son) was for muscle pulling out old moter and setting the S&S in. Did all the rest myself.

Reactions: captainhook455

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
absolutely... there is so much fun in store with a big inch performance engine in an FXR.. and are incredibly reliable... you will not be able to utilize the performance of that 120 in the bike its in,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts