I have a 2002 harley fxst and want to change
the mufflers.Can I install a slip on and keep
my stock jets and breather?Any suggestions on
brands of mufflers?Thanks
Big Time

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Possible but not likely, as even a totallly stock bike can gain from rejetting.
You can leave the stock airbox on there, but you will in effect minimize any gain from the slip ons, other then noise.

Much better to buy a inexpensive set of slip ons like Cycle Shacks, and use the money you save on the pipes to buy an intake kit. The jets are only a couple of bucks either way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just installed the Screamin Eagle ll's on my 02 Fatboy! Man, the sound is superb and I definately got more on the ball on take off!!! I have the fuel injected model... Hope this helps... took an 1.5 hours to do the job and I put the heat shields from the shotgun pipes onto the Eagles too! Bueno, Dan NM

·
Registered
159 Posts
It'll work...

I put a set of V&H straight shots on my 2000 Fat Boy with in a week of buying it. Made a big difference in performance anf the bike ran just great. After several more months, I was waiting for summer, I installed a Thunderslide kit and Hypercharger. Again, big difference in performance. What you really need to be concerned with is engine temp when running lean, which it will be with the mufflers and not re-jetting. I bought an HD oil dipstick with the temperature measurement on top. Bike was fine till the weather turned hot. As I said above I was waiting for summer, the reason is that you should jet your bike for the weather you ride in the most. Living here in the deep south that's 90 degree heat and very high humidity. The bike is a little lean in winter because of the summer setup but the oil temperature and spark plugs indicate that it is running just great, albeit a little lean. I hope this helps.

Budman

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't see much info about different slip-ons with the EFI bikes. I have an '02 EFI Deuce and want a little more rumble but don't want to change anything else out at this time.

poziovahim's Fat Boy is encouraging, tell me more!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Big Al,

From what I've read, changing your pipes results in a change in backpressure, thus necessitating adjustment. For caburated Harleys, the solution is rejetting, for fuel injected bikes the ECM (electronic control module) needs to be recalibrated.

wyodude

·
Registered
159 Posts
EFI adjusts slightly

I thought I remember reading that the "new" EFI on the 01 and later softails will adjust itself slightly to minor changes, like slip-on's or pipes. The technical breakdown of what I read was the system was supposed to be "smart" and would adjust to a limited number of modifications. Does anyone else remember reading about this ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
slipons

I didn't have any adjustments done after installing the SE ll's (fuel injection) The bike runs smoothly and the sound is just what I was looking for! Low rumble and not real loud... I love em and a breeze to instal too! I put the original heat shields on the new pipes too! buena suerte, DAn NM

·
Registered
53 Posts
slipons

Eh Wyo!
Just met a guy here in Espanola with an 01 Heritage with the Screamin Eagle 1's. He owns a little grocery store here in town that I stop at. He loved the sound of my SE II's and is going to change his now too! They sound better and better by the mile! bueno, Dan NM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts