V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of take offs for my 2004 Heritage. I got sick of listening to Screaming Eagles and they are now nesting in the local landfill. Much nicer ride. After the install I noticed that the distance from the baffle to the end of the muffler is not the same in both mufflers. See photo- the blue tape signifies where the baffles are. I don't remember them being marked "front" and "rear" but they are definitely different. I think the reason is to make each pipe have the same distance from the head to the end of the baffle. In that case, these are on wrong and need to be reversed. Right now the back pressures are unequal. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information and that's a very good possibility. They look exactly the same on the outside. I'm still curious if they were made that way to make the distance from the head to the end of the baffles the same for both cylinders. It runs fine and the plugs read pretty good.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
951 Posts
By "nicer ride" I can only assume you mean quieter. On that Fuel Injected bike going back to stock pipes and not seeing or feeling a difference in power means to me it's never been tuned properly. Stock they all run really lean so your plugs probably look light in color giving you the impression they're okay. Do you have a Stage One and/or a tuner on it? I like your idea the back pressure is different but with that being said if they're the same P/N something is wrong. I have the same year/color paint scheme btw. Wish I'd saved mine so I could look at them now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I were to (IMHO) GUESS ... I would say they are on the wrong cylinders ( Front to Rear) ...
I would use a TAPE MEASURE from the HEAD to your Blue TAPE on BOTH Mufflers ...
SINCE they appear identical EXTERNALLY
& attempt to make both as "EQUAL" length as possible from what you have according to the INTERNAL length
which would / should make the back-pressure better ... with what you actually have

[email protected]@D LUCK

I picked up a set of take offs for my 2004 Heritage. I got sick of listening to Screaming Eagles and they are now nesting in the local landfill. Much nicer ride. After the install I noticed that the distance from the baffle to the end of the muffler is not the same in both mufflers. See photo- the blue tape signifies where the baffles are. I don't remember them being marked "front" and "rear" but they are definitely different. I think the reason is to make each pipe have the same distance from the head to the end of the baffle. In that case, these are on wrong and need to be reversed. Right now the back pressures are unequal. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1947 FL 1972 XLCH 1989 FLST
56 Posts
From what I have read the balance-pipe between the head pipes adds volume to the system, and helps with scavenging and creating more fill in the cylinder. When you look at the dresser systems the muffler cans are huge and consequently make a little more power than a Softail, per the handbook. The theory is the muffler(s) should be 4X the size of the cylinders

·
Retired
1,836 Posts
I went back to the original stock mufflers from the Screamin Eagles in 2006. When I took a test ride found that the upper rev range was severely choked up. That's with the Stage1 canned map and AC. I kept opening the baffle wall up in the mufflers until I got the upper rev range back. I put my SE mufflers back on about 3 years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts