V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 FLHTCI. I have a squeaky, rattle like noise coming from the left side. It is comming from the rubber mount of the left muffler. I checked both sides and the left one has alot of movement back there. The right side is very tight. I checked several new 06 bikes setting there and they are quite loose also. Does anyone else have this problem? If so what is the fix? I don't think a new rubber mount will help.

"there being no charges filed---I stand mute"

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've had it. Lift on the pipe and see if it stops. Push down. I adjusted my pipe up.

Spray some silicone in there see if it goes away for little while.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I lift it up it stops. How did you adjust it up? It is bolted to that support under there.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Can adjust the support bar, loosen those two bolts in the back and pull up, might be enough. retighten;)

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
berserker said:
Spray some silicone in there see if it goes away for little while.

I used some motor oil once when I was changing the oil. I just poured a little on the rubber, wiped off what came out. After a while more came out and I wiped that too. The motor oil seems to stay around in there a lot longer than silicone(which I've tried also). It's been about 15,ooo+ miles since I put oil in it and the squeek hasn't come back.

P.S. Does anyone think 15,ooo is to many mile between exhaust rubber mounting oil changes?:roflback:

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
berserker said:
Can adjust the support bar, loosen those two bolts in the back and pull up, might be enough. retighten;)
Yes you can loosen the front and rear of each bag support bar and move them either way, use another person and check you are center on your bag tab holes or you will have an issue. Make sure it is seated on the rubber stops of the bottom of the bag.

Was that synthetic oil on that exhaust rubber support oil change?:clap:

I did use anti seize under mine and not a squeak, at least that I can hear:rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 05 Electraglide did that same thing,,,was driving me crazy while on a trip to Gettysburg, Pa. Stopped at Battlefield Harley and the rubber thingy was like 2 bucks. The old one had shrunk and was loose in the bracket. Two minutes later, popped new one in,,,squeak gone.

Tom

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
TURN YOUR RADIO UP LOUDER!!!!! :roflback:

White Lithium grease, thin coat will last and last. It holds up to the heat too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
MADDOG,

It's a very common problem. Well, not really a problem, just an irritation. Changing the rubber bushing will definately stop it for a while, but as the rubber gets hard from being heated it will start again.

I keep a can of brake fluid in an oil squirt can just for this. Oil will deteroirate the rubber, but brake fluid is made to be used with rubber and it will help rjuvienate it as well as lubricating. Unless you get in a lot of rain, one application will usually last between oil changes.

Regards,

Bill

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I checked both sides and the left one has alot of movement back there. The right side is very tight.
Strange. My 05 RK Classic has been the same way since the day I brought it home. No squeeks or rattles, just doesn't hang as tight on the left.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
MADDOG said:
I have an 04 FLHTCI. I have a squeaky, rattle like noise coming from the left side. It is comming from the rubber mount of the left muffler. "
Get a ProPipe, no left pipe=no left pipe squeek!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used a small wooden wedge.(like one that holds a tool head on a wooden handle. Only I made one) Pushed it in, can't see it, no squeak. Been there for over 20,000 mi.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Not trying to get off topic but adlerx, I've been meaning to tell you, that is one sweet pic in your avatar. Your misses, I hope?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts