V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I successfully passed the Ohio beginner training course two weeks ago. I'd never ridden before. And since I'd already bought an 883 (a little backwards, I admit...but I couldn't resist this sweet machine), I chose the biggest bike they had available for the course. A Koren twin, 250cc. The instructor told me on the 2nd day that he would never have allowed a woman my size to use that bike...except he knew I'd purchased the Sportster and figured I'd better see if I could handle it. I'm 5'3". (you may recognize me from a posting the other night about difficult clutch pull. Dean offered a solution in the EZClutch from AMP that I've already ordered.)

Anyway, it was a great course. My only criticism was they spent most of the time on critical manuevers...swerves, panic stops, stopping on a curve, going over a small obstacle...etc. What they didn't cover was everyday stuff. Like making a right hand turn from a deadstop at a traffic light when I'm first in line. Slow, 90 degree turns, from stopped position would have been appreciated. Also, downshifting to first at a light or stop sign...while applying hand and foot brakes. RIGHT!!! Those of you more experienced than I can probably add 20 such items to the list. I don't know enough yet.

But I know enough to say I'm hooked. 6 years as passenger on my husband's Soft tail Springer made me passionate about HD. Now, I'm excited about this whole new adventure. :D

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I successfully passed the Ohio beginner training course two weeks ago. I'd never ridden before. And since I'd already bought an 883 (a little backwards, I admit...but I couldn't resist this sweet machine),

When I took the Virginia rider training course a couple weeks ago there were two ladies that owned Sporties (one had hers for over a year but was afraid to ride, the other was expecting hers anyday).

wyodude

·
Registered
684 Posts
TORQUED, welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking and passing the course!

A lot of what you are interested in learning, or knowing more about, will come with experience. The emergency stops, turns, etc. are things you need to know how to do - before you need them.

Making a right turn from a stop . . . take your time! Don't worry about the idiots behind you. In no time at all, you'll be making turns without even a hesititation at all.

A word of caution! In just a few months of riding, you will FEEL like you have gained enough experience to play around. Don't do it!

Tip - search the web for "Motorcycle Safety" and read every article you can find.

Have fun, but be safe!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to both wyodude & Straydog...

I've never participated in anything close to a "chat" before...and I'm really enjoying the responses and encouragement I've gotten in this Forum. For the past 4 nights now, I've not missed checking in. Much fun.

I have always had a great sense of adventure...but I've never been wild or careless. So I'll heed your suggestions, Straydog. And thanks for the web search key words. By the way, what's a Road Captain?

Congrats, to you wyodude, for passing your course. It wasn't easy, was it? In part, that's what makes it worthwhile to have finished it successfully.

Night all.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Straydog...good one LOL

Torqued: Road Captains on the HD Forum are forum moderators. Very helpful/informative individuals chosen to moderate discussions.

Congrats on passing your MSF course!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Torqued,

Congratulations on taking and passing the course. Many from our class did not pass, but where happy with the experience.

Here in SC, all the items on you listed were covered thoroughly and were part of the final skills assessment. I thought the course was standardized across all states, but I must be mistaken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Torqued,

I too put the Hog before the class. I picked up an '02 1200 XLH Sporty a few weeks ago, and am eagerly waiting to hear word if I got enrolled in a course. Enrollment application had to be postmarked no earlier than 4/26 and the class that I registered for starts June 3rd.

Where'd you take your class through? I registered through an Adult Ed program here in Cincy call "Great Oaks".

Love the sportster so far. Took the afternoon off of work today and drove up to Germanstown Metro Park (Just SW of Dayton). Absolutely gorgeous day for a ride...

Congrats on passing the course and ride safe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BJLABBY...I could never have ridden mine without the course...at least not as well as I did this morning. But that story in a minute.

I took it through the State of Ohio, Dept of Public Safety. They provide the bikes. Here's the website:

http://www.state.oh.us/odps/mo/brc2.html

It's 4 hours of classroom including two excellent instructors (mine certainly were), 4 or 5 well done videos, and well written course book. Then 2 days, (8 to 3 both days) of parking lots instruction. They give a test at the end of the 2nd day and if you pass, you don't have to take the State test. They give you your endorsement. Tough class. Extremely well designed. I cannot say enough good things about it...and I think it's worth repeating that I had never ridden before.

The course is very popular, & over subscribed. The first date available for me to get in was this coming September. I thought I'd die waiting that long. So I went to class as a "walk in" hoping someone who was registered wouldn't show up. First time I did that, there were 24 other walk ins...and no slots open. The next week, there were 15 walk ins, 2 slots open. They held a lottery...AND I WON! :eek: I've never won anything of significance before. What a great way to start! So I stayed for classroom that night and took the road (parking lot) training that weekend. Had my endorsement by 3:00 on Sunday.

Then I couldn't ride my Sportster cause the clutch was too tight and span too great. Then I found this Forum, posted my sad tale, and 15 minutes later Dean solved my problem with a link to AMP and EZ Clutch. We installed it today...

:D NOW COMES THE BEST PART....I rode MY Harley today for the first time. In my back "yard" which is an fairly smooth pasture, rich with soft grass. I rode pretty well after the first 10 minutes. Even managed two figure 8s. I grinned for hours afterward. Rode again this afternoon...didn't do as well. But that's o.k. I'll ride again tomorrow and eventually graduate to the parking lot of a local elementary school.

So, I'm a happy lady tonight. Very aware that I've got a VERY powerful machine that I need to respect...and I want to do it justice.

Long answer to your question...but I like this place. I like telling my story where I know you all will grin and nod and silently cheer me on. That's what my husband did today. He stood in the middle of the pasture watching. Looked like he was exercising a horse on a lung-line. He's very proud...Hog man to the core!

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Well sounds like you are having a good time learning! Continue to practice and graduate to the "open road" soon! Do not feel like you have to be rushed. Take your time and move on when YOU are ready.

You will eventually get the hang of it. Thanks for sharing your tale with us, enjoyed reading it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts