V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After attending the basic MSF course here in Ogden Utah I now have a reasonably confident attitude that my riding skills haven't completely gone to he!!. I have to admit though that I relearned a lot of the skills that went dormant with disuse. Now I realize that a lot of you riders have years of riding skills behind you, therefore this thread may not attract your interest, but I was surprised with the fact that most of the riders in the class had over 5yrs experience. They had a lot to share, and everybody gained. After I take delivery of my RKC in Nov., I plan to ride as much as possible till the roads freeze over. After I put a couple of thousand miles on it I will enlist in the experienced rider course(ERC). From what I was told, this is the course that will test your abilities on your own bike!! Has anyone been through the advanced course? And most importantly, what did it teach you?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Even after all these years I like to do the ERC every couple of years or so.

We all pick up little bad habits over time, and need someone to point them out objectively in order to decide if they in effect are bad habits or not.
The only objection might be that they are a bit rigid in preaching the party line and higher level schools are more openminded, but they also are much more expensive, so it isn't a bad deal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What are the chances of "setting it down" in the ERC? I've always wanted to take it, but an obstacle course on my less than nimble $20K scoot makes me nervous. I consider myself a very good rider (who doesn't?, right?) and I've never been down (knock..knock) but I don't know what the ERC consists of. Any help?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Slim to none. The different maneuvers are separated from each other and performed at extremely low speed. The obstacles are cones and there is all sorts of escape room.

This is the only downside of it as it really doesn't give people the feel of finding a rhytm. Only something like the Keith Code school can do that, but the MSF people readily admit that.

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
Take the ERC with confidence. No matter what your level of riding experience you will learn something new, and undo a few bad habits. Even if you don't come away with the "proper" skills, at least you were exposed to them and maybe, just maybe in an emergency it will come back. Speeds never reach more than 15 miles and hour (with the exception of the straight on braking exercise) and the advantage of using your own bike will allow you to get a fell for and explore your handeling limits in a controlled environment with a competent instructor to point out what you are doing wrong and HOW TO IMPROVE. This last part is the best of the course. Identification of bad habits, and steps to correct them, as well as some emergency maneuvers are what make this course great. You will truely come away with a better sense of how YOUR bike handles in certain situations and what corrective measures to take that may save your life. That is much better that the risk of laying you bike down at higher speeds. Take the class, and take it again about 3-5 years from now. If you're in the military many posts require attendance to ride on post and some pay for, or provide free instuction.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
cromagnum: I took that same course last summer, was it held behind the Sears there in Riverdale? Great course. There was a lady instructor, Mary I think, that liked to yell at everyone. Was she teaching your class. Had a blast with the class, learned a ton and had a lot of fun. My wife and sister-in-law are planning on taking the course.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I took the course a couple of years ago, it is held at the local Tech College on the Police training course, it was a very informative course, especially the section on defensive driving, I took it on an 1100 Honda than and that bike had a drum rear brake , my FLHT has a disc, on the Honda you could bascially slam both brakes for a panic stop and it would come to a straight stop, the Harley does not have as balanced a brake system. I also get a discount on insurance . ride safe rickpoco

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
veerodder- I was wondering about the same thing, setting my million $$$ machine down. I figure I'll wait about a year and take the erc. By then I'll have a good feel for my bike. 03FLSTCI- Yea it was right behind sears. Mary wasn't there, the instructor was Randy, no yelling,Cool instructor. I'll take delivery of my RKC on Nov. 9. When do you get yours? If you already did, let's ride!! I live in Morgan.

·
Registered
135 Posts
cromagnum-->I will be getting mine sometime in January. Don't have a date on it yet. You can be thankful Mary wasn't there she really liked to yell at ya, kinda took the fun out of it. There was another guy teacher there when I took it, can't remember his name now but he drove a creme color BMW. He was way cool.

I live in Clinton, would love to ride with you sometime.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I took the Reg Pridmore class at Willow Springs raceway last year (beginners sessions), and there was less chance of dumping it there than on the highway when some clown pulls out in front and i swerve to miss (make up yout own situation). I sort of felt I would rather learn "at school" than on the highway. Waiting until you ride better to take a safety class seemed counter intuitive somehow.

Even though the class i took was at a racetrack, we all rode at our own speeds, I rode no harder than I would going up a familiar mountain road. My pace, not someone's else. It's much safer since there are no oncoming cars, no curbs, lightpoles, etc. to hit. Plus, full leather & full face helmet (they will rent you both if needed).

I have significant experience on the track in a car, and was shocked at how much i picked up, stuff that I feel helps me be a safer, not neccesarily a faster rider. As Hippo said, its more expensive, but not when compated to what I've spent on the bike, and certainly not compared to my own body parts.

I couldn't reccomend it too highly.

greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts