V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I am just wondering what the diffrence is between the two. I have limited money due to having 2 kids and being the only one working.. So I am wieghing my options. The price tag on the bob is a bit high for me but I really like the look of it. But I could but the 1200L and ride it for 3yrs or so then hand it down to my wife and buy a bit bigger ride once we are in a position for us both to work.

Any advice is welcome but am really just wondering the diffrence in MPG for now. Thanks.

kyle

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Your heart is set on the bob. If you buy a sportie you will be disappointed. Save your pennies and wait a little for the bob. IMHO

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by yomomma22
Hey I am just wondering what the diffrence is between the two.
Well, there are lots of differences. The Sportster Low has a 74-inch Evo engine, carb only and has a five-speed tranny. The Street Bob runs on an 88-inch Twin Cam engine, it's fuel injected, has a six-speed gearbox, and features mini apes. As for mpg (you are talking miles per gallon?), they're almost identical. XL1200L = 52mpg highway/45 city; Street Bob = 50 highway/44 city. These stats are straight off the H-D Web site. I love my Sporty, but I would also love to have a Street Bob in my stable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow than the gas milage is no reason to not go with the bob. Now if july would hurry the hell up and get here I could really start planning. Get a 10k a year raise in june and turn 25 in july. Big diffrence in insurance between 24 and 25.. 1600 vs 350 or so a year so i continue to wait.. The weather isnt helping me pass the time either.. 75-80 all week and nothing to ride :badmood:

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Go demo ride them both. If you are on a budget the 1200c might get you riding. I would rather wax the 1200c, then worry about if I have to sell the bike I just bought. I think it builds character when you think of your family first, and do what's right for you. You can have just as much fun on a Sporty, and with a set of cool pipes, they look good too. Good luck, and ride safe.

Thorns

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Save up..buy the Bob

BOB!!

I Bought a 2005 XL Custom and was generally happy with it but WANTED the Bob so I traded in January. I'm so much happier with it.

One, The biggest difference is the BOB is its MUCH easier to ride. I'm a little short, and the sportster seemed top heavy and more unstable at lower speeds than the bob. The Bob is so much more bottom heavy than the sportster. The difference in stability is just unbelievable over the sporty.

Two, while the seat heights are similar, the Bob is easier for me to mount and dismount. It's also easier for me to put both feets on the ground. While at a stop, the bob doesn't want to tip like the sporty. Guess it's CG is much lower than the sporty

Three, the ape hangers can be moved to fit your comfort. My arms are a little short, so I move the apes back towards me a little. Much more comfortable. Speaking of comfort, the ride.....Sporty = 4x4 truck Bob/Dyna = Buick (i'm saving Caddy for the touring bikes :)

Four, Six Speed !! Does make a difference, the bob is just about idleing at 65mph.

Five, denim black. Easy to care for...VERY cool. I get at least one comment/compliment a week asking if that's a factory paint job etc... Wash it with a de-greasing dish soap (dawn or something), or wipe down with windex. No $15.00 dollar bottles of Harley Wash to buy.

thats my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts