V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Seasoned Rider
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a kit made to move the king tour pack back 2" with the detachable docking system on a ultra ? thank you, roadking43

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
George Anderson makes a tour Pak relocation kit. He makes an Excellent product. A lot of people on the board use his kit. Do a search on him and you will find out that everyone likes his product

You can contact him by phone Home:309-762-6291

George Anderson
2925 12th Ave.
Moline, IL 61265

·
Registered
3 Posts
tim,have u personally used his stuff, i have a quick detatch kit on my 04 ultra which im not too happy with. has about a 1/4 inch play from the front docking parts which have the rubber fitting in it, and it also changed the pitch of the truck, brought it up and tilted forward a bit which the wife hates, either i take it all off or maybe try this guys stuff out. thanks for your input. also if you have opinion on radio upgrades would luv to hear it.

·
Seasoned Rider
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
relocation kit

do you know if it works with the detachable docking system??? i want to move pak back and have it detachable. want just a backrest on when not on trips. thanks

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
tater tot said:
tim,have u personally used his stuff, i have a quick detatch kit on my 04 ultra which im not too happy with. has about a 1/4 inch play from the front docking parts which have the rubber fitting in it, and it also changed the pitch of the truck, brought it up and tilted forward a bit which the wife hates, either i take it all off or maybe try this guys stuff out. thanks for your input. also if you have opinion on radio upgrades would luv to hear it.
Yes I have it on my 06 street glide with quick detach kit. I am very happy with it. It does raise the tour pak up a little bit but it doesn't tilt it forward at all.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
roadking43 said:
do you know if it works with the detachable docking system??? i want to move pak back and have it detachable. want just a backrest on when not on trips. thanks
Yes, it will work fine with the detachable stuff.

I've had George's kit on my bike for over 2 years and 26000 miles with no problems at all. George makes great quality stuff that is made to last.

Steve

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
If I remember right, doesn't the kit just move the tour pak back on the mount and not the mount itself?

The mount still has to fit into the docking hardware, but by moving the tour pak back on the mount itself, that is where you get the extra room. {salute(

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Moving it back would put more stress on the frame mounting points if you passenger likes to lean back hard. You might want to check out how much stress those detachable docking points could take.
George's unit looks very strong, I would worry about the moco's unit when the pack was back farther than they do.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
FWIW, jeepwatchman is correct that its the tourpak and not the stock bracket/mount that gets moved back. This is what allows the kit to work with either fixed or detach mounting brackets... since those attach in the same pattern to the tourpak. route66paul is also correct that it likely adds more stress to the points where the stock bracket hook onto the bike. Seems tho enough folks have used George's kit tho that this hasn't proven to be a real issue in practice...

I actually just made my own bracket... drilled a few holes into a $20 (or less) piece of plate aluminum. Some day when I'm not so lazy I'll get it powder coated too...

Partly I made my own because I'm a cheap bastard... but mostly I made my own because I use the solo tourpak mount, not the two up mount. And interestingly (or not) mounting a tourpak to the solo rack uses a completely different bolting configuration than the two up rack... so George's kit wouldn't have worked for me anyway...

The main difference (besides the powder coating) btwn what I did and George's kit is that George also seems to use additional tubular support on top of the plate. This is likely good in the two up scenario where the tourpack cantalever's more when pushed back. In the solo setup tho, my plate only sticks past the stock bracket maybe an inch and a half... so not too worried about bending or snapping the 1/4" plate with that setup..

Anyway... sorry for the sidetrack since the thread is really about two up options... but felt like typing a little... :)

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I read some posts last year where a couple had given way, now it was probably due to someone mis-using it, stand in the pegs and pushing back to readjust thier position - but someone one the hefty side with a passenger also afflicted could cause the problem - fisrt, it gets moved back 4-5 in and then the passenger pushes against it and breaks it. I have seen a number of small cars with broken seats for the same reason.

Be careful, if you modify something like this, treat it nicely, check regularly, and don't trust it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts