V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to change the oil tank and battery location on an '89 FLT using stock parts? I'd like to move the battery and oil tank under the seat so I can get a bigger right side saddle bag.

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have an 89 FLHT. There are no stock parts that will bolt right in. You'll need to fabricate and weld.

To get the Battery in under the seat is doable and pretty easy. You'll need to weld up a battery tray.

The oil tank is the tough part. You'll need to build one from scratch and fit it inbetween the frame rails under the battery tray. If you read "The Horse" they cover a lot of fabrication projects and have a lot of folks in the back of the mag that can fab it up.

Then you could use the saddlebag and the side cover from a mid 90's FLHT to finish it all off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fxrflh said:
I have an 89 FLHT. There are no stock parts that will bolt right in. You'll need to fabricate and weld.

To get the Battery in under the seat is doable and pretty easy. You'll need to weld up a battery tray.

The oil tank is the tough part. You'll need to build one from scratch and fit it inbetween the frame rails under the battery tray. If you read "The Horse" they cover a lot of fabrication projects and have a lot of folks in the back of the mag that can fab it up.

Then you could use the saddlebag and the side cover from a mid 90's FLHT to finish it all off.
I was afraid of that. I guess I get to make an oil tank. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
89 flt

I have a 1990 flht, I have been told that you can put the oil tank below the tranny like it is in the 03.
If this would work we would be happy, right??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
td17056 said:
I have a 1990 flht, I have been told that you can put the oil tank below the tranny like it is in the 03.
If this would work we would be happy, right??
That would be great indeed. I haven't found a resource for what fits what in the HD world. Except to talk to someone with experience. But I've found you've got to be a little carefull about that. Ever go to a swap meet and ask 'will this fit my bike?' The answer is always yes. ;) It's different in the old ford world. There's books with part numbers and every thing that tells you what parts from a '64 comet will fit a '67 F100. I wish there was something like that for the HD's. Trial and error can get pretty expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts