V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had some pull-back bars put on my 02 Classic. I went to the shop to set them in what I think will be the right position, but , of course, can't be sure til I ride it. Judging by the service manual, it's a genuine pain in the arse to get to the area to loosen/tighten the bars. Are there any short cuts or is it just something that you have to dive in all the way if you want to change the position? Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You can just yank at them, but if the bars aren't torqued down tight enough that this will work, imo ain't safe.
The procedure for removing the clamp cover's explain in detail in here. Do a search. Takes half an hour when you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Removing the Nacelle is no big deal, you should'nt have to remove it completly just enough to remove the handle bar shroud. The service manual has an explanation in detail.
B

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Take the headlight trim ring off, remove the screws from the rubber grommets around the headlight housing that attach it to your nacelle.
The headlight will drop out, cover your 'mudguard', we call em, with a rag and let the headlight rest on it. (or pull the connectors and remove it)

NOW, the strip that goes along the top of the nacelle, the bit that covers the join between the two halves, remove the SMALL speed nut at the FRONT inside the nacelle. lift that strip up and off.
Get a star screwdriver and LOOSEN the screw that holds the handlebar clampcover, DO NOT REMOVE! You should be able to twist the handlebar clamp cover up and around the handlebar clamp bracket.
Watch you don't tighten the Speed nut on that top strip too tight when you redo it, it can snap the small pin it screws onto easily.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
thats is cause we can spoke england bitter in Ireland then whoever writ the servi manwell! :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Harleyhog, just got done moving my bars, as per your instructions-piece of cake!! Thanks for the heads up on the little speed nut at the front of the trim piece, I can tell that thing is fragile! Thanks again for the help!

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
:D ain't happy endings great:cool:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Black Classic said:
Thanks again for the help!
Anytime! Thats what this sites all about innit? ;)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
What do you see in that Blond Bimb..:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts