V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
GP
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody with any experience mounting their tour pack on a FL, with the hockey puck bags? I'm getting ready to install mine, as soon as I finish painting it. It needs to be raised up a bit to clear the bags when they open. If you have done this, what have you used for spacers? I'm mounting it on the standard platform, but may go to the removable later.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Do you have a king tour-pak, a chopped tour-pak, or a radio box? Any one of them should fit on a RK, RKC, E Glide, or R Glide without too many problems. The factory sells a detachable mount that allows you to mount it in a solo or 2 up configuration depending on the configuration yuo want.

If the pucks get in the way, you can get buttons that replace the pucks for a low profile fit.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
It's not the pucks that get in the way, it's the lids themselves because of the way they open. gpowell is right, the tour pak, regardless of which model, has to be raised up to let the bag lid swing open from the inside to the outside.

No, I don't know of anyone who has done this although I'm sure it's possible. Anything is given enough time and money.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hmmm..

Isn't the detachable rack a bit higher than the standard mount? Seems to me that may be. Has the local dealer offered a solution?

·
GP
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark1 said:
Isn't the detachable rack a bit higher than the standard mount? Seems to me that may be. Has the local dealer offered a solution?
I wish I knew if the detachable was higher, I think I need about 3/4"-1". As far as the dealer, he said " You're right, due to the way they hinge, they do need to be lifted a bit"

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been through this with my FLHTPI. The detachable rack isn't significantly higher and won't allow the lids to clear when it's on. I've seen others stack washers or "jury-rig" some other type of spacer to raise the tour-pak (an additional set of the 5 rectangular aluminum blocks that are under the original "radio rack" can be mounted on the top but that only gets you about 1/2". Nothing I found was as stable as I wanted so I went to the "police tour-pak" without the holes for the strobe lights. It's about 2/3's the width of the king tour-pak and the lids clear just fine. It's made to mount on the original "radio rack" without any other mods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a Harley part. My dealer ordered it from the police parts. It comes in black or white and you want to make sure you specify "without holes" as it's generally sold pre-drilled for strobe lights.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Thanks, I get the fleet sales magazine, and Harley has really gone into the emergency equipment market in the past year or so. Just wanted to check what pack you were talking about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an option

my freind recently bought a tourpack kit for his 2007 road king, but found that it wont work with the saddle bags, cause his is the police edition. he faces the same issue that most all do. i am currently in the procces of making a new alluminum kit in my machine shop that replaces the ones that attach the tourpack to the bracket, it will raise the tourpack slightly, just enough for the saddle bags to function properly. i am kinda testing waters here to see if i can get enough people interested in buying my kit. it will be made with high quality polished alluminum and it will come with the longer bolts. i am selling each kit for $50 USD. please let me know if you are interested. THANKS: DHWCUSTOMS. [email protected]

patent pending!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
That is a very easy fix, just run some blocks under it. If the police box is the one you wrote about, I think it is too small to be any good for travelling. You really want to carry more than a ticket book and your lunch or coffee.

·
Registered
29 Posts
spacers

3/8 aluminum spacers. I made mine out of 3/8 x 1 1/4 clear anodized barstock. I matched them up with the blocks on the removable bracket and stacked them.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
same experiences with clearance issues on tour pack

I tried mounting a tour pack on my 03 Police Glide and ran into the same clearance problems everyone else has had. Fortunately the tour pack was from a friends bike so I had not bought a pig in a poke.

We tried a few variation on spacer blocks and when there was finally enough clearance the tour pack was just to high on the rack. It just looked funky at best.

My solution was to buy a GIVI detachable bag and mount it on the older flat style detachable luggage rack. With the Givi when you take the bag off the bike you only have the bag in hand and not the bag with a detachable rack. Who wants to run into a hotel with a tour pack and the mounting system? At least the GIVI bag was designed to be a detachable bag for touring.

The GIVI bag and mounting bracket cost me $ 408 with freight. The Harley detachable luggage rack cost $ 137. Together they cost considerable less than a Harley tour pack and detachable mount system. In either case you need the detachable mounts for the bike frame so there was no additional cost or savings by using the tour pack or the GIVI bag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used 1 1/4 inch chrome tubing on mine. and it works great! I have a mounting bracket listed on ebay. It fits the electra glide standard 2005. Hope this helps and SAFE RIDING!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I used automotive hard rubber bushings with stainless washer on each side--about 3/4" or so to raise the bottom of the King TP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
mounting a tour pak to a police model

I found for less than $20 you can mount the tour pak. I used 1/2" conduit and cut it down to 1.25". used steel wool and polished them to look like brushed aluminum. A couple of longer bolts, cut the black radio mounting pad so that the hole for the light is gone and you can use that for a base under the pak. I have better instructions if anyone needs email me at [email protected] . As far as how well does it hold up? I flipped my 98 FLHTPI 3 times in the air it came down on the top of the pak and then the side of the pak, it was still there, straight as ever, can't say much for the actual looks of the tour pak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
tour pak on flh

Easy. Using the removable tour pak mount I put a king pak on my 05 flhpi. Used a couple blocks of plexi-glass. About one inch thick.Cut it to the right height and length. Drilled it for the bolts. (get longer bolts). Use the concave spacers to go on the tubes and a piece of plastic in the bottom of the tour pak for reinforcement to bolt to. Works great and looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put the detachable tour pak on my 08 FLHTP ran into the trouble everyone else is. What I did is cut some wood spacers the length of the tube on my table saw , just to get the right thickness . I started out with 1 1/8 " and it is still to low but the lids on the bags will at least open with a little help. I have to go to 1 3/8" to get the clearence I want, but for now as long as I can get in them open I'm leaving the spacer in for a trip to Ohio this month. When I get back I will cut some more spacers to get the right thickness. I love that detach though...........

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I had a corbin solo on my bike when I had the police bags. Since the lid has the hinges on the outside of the bike, it would rub on the seat when opening. i had to put 3/8" spacers between the fram and the bag brackets. The bags were a little crooked, but no one ever said anything. There is nothing wrong with making things work, what difference does it make if the tourpak is a little taller than another?

·
Faithful to the bottle
487 Posts
X2 on the tubing and longer bolts. I raied mine up about 2" to clear the lids with 3/8 aluminum tubimg from home store, then polished em with mothers, then waxed. They look like chrome and look like its supposeed to be there between the box and the rail.
-S

1 - 20 of 43 Posts