V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted the Roady XT XM radio to their Ultra Classic. I would appreciate any good ideas and photo's if possible. The XT does not have the mounting cradle like the Roady and I have not be able to find any sites that sell a mounting set up specifically for the XT. Please send your photo's to [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
107 Posts
No experience yet, but I found www.xmfan.com site loaded with info. There are few other XM Radio forum type sites out there with informaton specific to mounting Sat. Radios to a Harley.

Additionally there are great discussion on eliminating noise interference, proper Power/Ground connections, wiring through the fairing and out to the bars, and mounting options.

I'm planning on hooking up one this spring. Bikes in storage currently (Not sure why with the crazy New England Weather)!

On the XMfan site check the Topic group: "XM Installations & Pictures"

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I have one on my Ultra.
It is mounted on the left upper fairing behind the windshield. I just used the pedestal mount thing that came with the Roady XT. The 2 sided tape is strong enough that I did not use screws through my inner fairing. I have it playing through my FM.

In order to power the XM up, I wired in a 3 outlet power bar thing and plugged the XM into it. The power bar is stuck to the top of my radio.

*NOTE*
I tried the Ground Loop Isolator from Cycle Gadgets to allow me to play the XM through the AUX. port on the radio. Even with the GLI, there was too much static etc.

Brad

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an Audiovox, but my mount set-up will work with any XM:

Wired XM modulator under the fairing hooked to the stock radio through the antenna jack with the wires for the XM running out the right inner-fairing hole. Advantage is that it detects the XM radio when powered up and the modulator switches to XM signal. Includes power cable for the XM radio (make sure it is the same size plug -- they were all the same last year) so it can be hard-wired and not use the cig lighter. $50 available at most big-box stores as well as Two Wheel Radio.

Radio mounted to a Cycle Solutions Harley mount (inappropriately called a Roady mount). Bolts on to either the brake or hydraulic clutch reservoir and provides a nice place to put the magnetic mount antenna. $32 black, $54 chrome.

Did a lot of researching and looking before I put this set-up on my '05 Ultra. PM me if you'd like more info or picture of the mount.

Darrell 'Ghost' Kasper
2005 Ultra Classic
Mahomet, IL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts