V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya all,
I live in France and own a Street Rod which I enjoy riding on a daily basis.
I'm however concerned about the safety issues that come with the lack of ABS on this very bike.
I've asked mechanical guys if a handmade mount of an ABS system was possible on my bike but, where I live at least, the answer was always that this piece of work would likely cost more than buying a new bike as a whole.
Do you guys happen to know if this kind of improvement has ever been made post factory on the braking system of the Street Rod, by, say, some local workshop?
If so, do you know of a place in Europe or even in the US where this job could be done within a decent price range?

Thank you very much, and see ya around.

Freud.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Freud

I guess you've read and seen all the hype about ABS and how you can't do any better. My own experience with ABS in a car is that it is great until you accidentally tap the brakes more than once quickly. That happened to me in a snow and ice storm in a Ford Focus I was driving. Not knowing it had ABS I pumped the brakes slightly (as you should without ABS) as we were sliding down an icy hill. The brakes made that tell tale ratcheting noise ABS makes and then the brakes were gone. Nothing. Luckily I found a nice soft pile of snow to drift into instead of the $50,000 tricked out Ford pickup we were heading toward. Had I known the car had ABS I wouldn't have pumped the brakes since I had read that is a huge no-no. Still, what if a female deer jumps out from the bushes and you slam on the brakes. She escapes but when the bambi pops up you have no brakes left because you "pumped" them.

Just saying, you rarely hear the other side of the pro ABS hype. I'm guessing it's that the videos and such you see showing the up side to ABS are made by ABS makers and sellers. They seem to say, "You can't not get ABS." or you won't be safe.

One final thing here. How many race bikes do you see with ABS? Almost none. Maybe a few of the adventure dirt bikes but road racers....no. So much for the, "You can't do any better." theory. If you learn to use those Brembos correctly they'll serve you well and, 99% of the time, you won't even need ABS. I think the negative issues I see with ABS may eventually get worked out by engineers but, for now anyway, I'm staying away from them.

By the way Freud, I ride an FXR but i think the Street Rod is the best all around street bike Harley ever made. Too bad the Harley faithful never embraced them.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Harley moved a bunch of stuff around to make room for the abs module and distribution block. Adding it to an older bike would invlolve relocating the battery, voltage regulator, ecm and tssm I think, as well as replacing all the brake lines and fabricating mounts for the all the components. And you can bet that module and distribution block is not cheap. The ecm may be different on abs bikes as well. So unless spending several thousand bucks is reasonable to you, I doubt anyone would want to attempt it..JMHO.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I'm with unca mike, learn to ride, drive, use the brake correctly and forget ABS. I have 4 piston PM's all the way around stopping in an emergency is exquisite. ABS has caused me nothing but problems once it caused me to be unable to stop the car, without abs there would not have been an issue. But i know how ro ride, drive and use the brakes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a mill guys.
You may have hit the nail there. I reckon I'll just have to live with the fact I won't get to know ABS on my bike.
Then again I'm quite the old timer now and I wished I had more room for safety on my bike. See, I'm not as quick and fit as I used to.

Anyways, I have a great deal of daily fun riding my bike and I'm not anywhere near to quit.

Bye all,

Freud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts