V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year while at Mrytle Beach, I met a vendor that was selling kits to motorize the lids on the hard bags. At the time I was still riding a Fatboy so I was not too interested. Well now that I have my 06 FLHX, I wish I could find this information. I'm not 100% positive that I would do this but it is a thought. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I've seen them, but can't remember where. They are real trick, but the mechanisim takes up too much space in the saddlebag. Great for a show bike or trailer queen, but not for a touring bike. I'd rather have the bag space. JMO

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I've seen that same bike at Myrtle and in different shows in the Carolinas. The lid kit is about 1800 bucks and the motor and other gizmos take up over 1/3 of the space in the bag. I'll pass...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Maybe a reverse gear too?:corn:
Buddy of mine says his dads HD had reverse, he would get drunk and go the wrong way.

I need a bag opener like I need a remote starter.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
berserker said:
I need a bag opener like I need a remote starter.
I actually saw a "chopper" with remote start.

I saw it when I was hanging around the front of a custom shop waiting for some friends to show up so we could ride. The owner just had the bike serviced and the remote installed. He tried to show it off by starting it from inside the shop, hoping to startle us. Well we heard the FI pump kick on, and saw the turn signals flash. Then the bike started up, and oil started pouring out of it. They over filled the primary during the service, and it all came out of the vent. When the owner came out, he was grinning ear to ear... until we pointed out the large and growing puddle of oil under his bike. Then we busted out laughing.

Remote start, not for me. All it takes is one A$$hole to kick it in gear while it's running, or a malfunctioning neutral light and switch, and you are screwed.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Motorized lids? Do they have the idiot light for the jiffy stand too? How about that new air bag? Maybe a reverse gear too?:corn:
Helloooooo........ Captain Obvious........ Been there, done that. Called a Lead Wing...... or sumpin like dat!! :roflback:

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
1. Something else to break and rattle
2. Heavy
3. Takes up valuable space
4. Way too much money

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
deucedog said:
1. Something else to break and rattle
2. Heavy
3. Takes up valuable space
4. Way too much money
Don't forget..

5. fukken stupid :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
OTOH, I think it would be VERY cool if you made your own vacuum-assist lid openers that you could run off the idling engine. Not useful mind you, but a very cool project. Spending 1800 for someone else's creation though - not.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
95 FXST said:
How lazy would a guy have to be.....
Good point.

Guess this would rank right up there with that new car ad where they mention that it takes 1/5 of a second to turn on your windshield wipers. They have now designed the car to detect rain and turn wipers on automatically.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Now come on guys, when you are building a trailer queen, motorized lids make sence. You do not have to get up on the trailer to open them, just push a button. Nothing in the bags anyway, so why not fill them half full with the electric motor and crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts