V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
MSRP--depends on the competition in the area. There is word on the Internet that the number of dealers selling at msrp is increasing across the country. Keep an eye open for dealers in your area. And start readin' the posts here and other places. There are dealers in other states that will sell to you at msrp, regardless of where you reside. And there are dealers with SEVERAL bikes for sale still on the floor. Don't give up!!!!

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
In the SF bay area there are a couple of dealer selling at msrp and not charging setup. An example 2002 fatboy, efi, two-tone paint, ca emissions $ 18600 out the day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
MSRP is coming soon to a dealer near you, fingers crossed, salt over the shoulder, three x's with a chicken foot and what ever other crap I can come up with to make the peckerheads do the right thing. The market can only handle so many 3 year old 1,000 mile bikes.

Ape

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
MSRP

HD is company of the year per fortune 500. The article in that mag states the each dealership sell bikes $2000-4000 above the MSRP.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If dealers drop their prices it would probably drop the bottom out of the used market. Hope they wait till I sell my Sportster!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here is a strange news flash.......

Went to my dealer (Graves Harley-Davidson in Lubbock, Texas) today and was shocked to find a whole lineup of brand new 2002 HD's on the showroom floor, including an Ultra, 2 fatboys, 2 Deuces, several FX models and several 883 sportys.

Then I heard an interesting explanation........

On the day the dealer opened from his Christmas and New Year holiday, freight trucks delivered 19 new Harleys!! Of all 19, only a few were expected, and all those expected were pre-sold, but were not supposed to be delivered until sometime in Feb. Included in the rest of the shipment were 5 red and silver Fatboys, all identical, and all not ordered by the dealer!!!

Guess production is finally meeting demand? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
There is a widely read Harley monthly magazine, primarily on the West Coast but now with a wider circulation, called Thunder Press. In the January 2002 issue of Thunder Press, there are literally dozens of ads from H/D dealerships shouting about how they are now selling at msrp. At least during the winter months.

Yes, there is a Santa Claus.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I just bought a new 2002 Wideglide from Chicago Harley Davidson last weekend. They sell for less than msrp-even for out of state people like me. They discounted 500 off of list, but then added 400 for freight and prep which made the total 100 less than list. They also have all H-D parts and accessories at 20% off with free shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome aboard, mrgrinch!

That's good news for buyers. I'd heard that Chicago H/D sold parts via the Internet for 20% off and no sales tax for out of state residents. Hadn't heard they were actually selling bikes for less than msrp. Very good news, indeed.

thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
No, it was snowing in Chicago when I picked it up Saturday, so I loaded it in my pickup. I'm surprised the motor company doesn't sell gold plated tire chains with little "H-D"s stamped on them for just such an occasion. ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
If prices drop to MSRP at all dealers, you will see wait times jump back up to the 2-3 year mark like they used to be. The economic reality is that prices will rise or fall to achieve market equilibrium.

As long as demand exceeds supply, bikes will continue to be sold at a premium. These dealers are not bad people, they are doing exactly what they should be doing - attempting to maximize profits, which is the hallmark of a capitalist society. It is the goal of every business to maximize the wealth of the owner(s). That is the sole reason businesses exist.

If you want to point a finger, point it at the MoCo. Their production lines have had excess capacity for years. They can easily produce enough bikes to satisfy market demand if they want to. But they don't want to, because they know that part of the allure of a Harley is the relative difficulty in acquiring one. That appeal spurs demand, which supports the MoCo, the stock price, their dealers, and the used market.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts