V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am hell-bent on buying a salvage Dyna, repairing it, and having a nice bar hopper to take out when I don't feel like riding my bagger. I've found a couple of good prospect bikes, but most are 2000+ miles to the east of me...

I did a google search on "motorcycle shippers" and got like 13 million hits. Most require you to enter a bunch of information, and then they will let you know the cost of shipping from point 'A' (east coast/Midwest) to point 'B' (Las Vegas).

What I'm looking for is a shipper who is on the cheap side. As I'm buying a bike that is already damaged, I'm not that concerned if it gets the kid glove treatment. Now of course I don't want it thrown on it's side on a flat bed, but it doesn't have to be wrapped in velvet and crated either. I also don't need it overnighted to me, if it takes a month to get here, no big deal...

Any suggestion where I can find a shipper that is reasonable in price, and can give me a quote without jumping through hoops???

Thanks
Dan

·
963 Posts
try allied van lines. I have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
go to uShip.com. it's a loadboard, where truckers will bid on your shipment. I got a sidecar rig shipped from Jacksonville to Albuquerque for $850, which was way, way less than I was quoted by the "real" shippers (hacks cost as much as a car to ship). Be aware that shipping costs have skyrocketed, along with diesel costs. There's another loadboard for vehicle shipments only, can't remember the name, same kind of deal; truckers bid.

For "real" motorcycle shippers, Forward Air is probably the cheapest, it's terminal to terminal in a container. Figure ~$400 via Forward Air.

Believe me, I researched the **** out of this; there are no cheap ones.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys! Think I might have found a Dyna Glide Sport about 2500 miles away, and will need it shiped soon...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts