1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
What a dumbass, law of physics buddy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm not sure what to say. Since this is a biker forum, I suppose I'm supposed to be sympathetic. But he chose to ride fast, and that's what happens.

Tom

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not very bright --- but is setting up a road block with cars to stop a motorcycle very bright?

Not sure what to think about this,, :unsure:

I am not excusing his attempt at evading the law, but what in the hell possibly could the rider have been running for that would warrant the use of deadly force to stop him?

Any law enforcement members out there have any insight on this issue?

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
It was only deadly because the dumbass didn't slow down.

Joe

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
......I don't understand the confusion. Roadblocks are are common police tactic, so what that's it is a motorcycle "breaking" the law.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So was this one of them Hollywood movie scenarios like in "Vanishing Point" or "Convoy" when the hero (law breaker) chooses to slam into a stationary object? <-roll movie credits here->

I would just like to know what they guy was running for and did they set the road block up in an area with plenty of room to safely stop?

Maybe he just detonated a canister of VX nerve gas with Jack Bauer chasing him and rapidly closing the gap -- when suddenly rounding a curve a bad cop who infiltrated the ranks of good cops set up the road block to make sure the rider never got a chance to be caught alive -- or did he just not have something as simple as a motorcycle endorsement on his license and chose to run instead of dealing with the consequences of being stupid.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
A road block is not an excessive use of force. It is a common traffic control tecnique. It is used to close off roads or stop traffic for safety. It could be that the road block served two puposes, to stop other cars from wandering into his path, and to hope that the rider would have the sense to stop. I'd like to think that the road block was set up on a open stretch of road and that the police cruisers had all their bubble gum machines flashing, giving the fleeing rider lots of visual advanced notice to slow down. Now if the road block was set up on a dark road around a blind curve or hill without the use of flashers, then that is another matter. However I don't think that his was the case here. If that dumbass chose to challenge the roadblock then he only helps clean up the gene pool. Now if he stopped the bike got down on his knees and surrenderd, and the police started beating on him, then that is excessive use of force. What he did was sheer stupidity on his part. When will people start taking responsibility for their own actions?

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....I still don't understand the confusion. Maybe if the rider was a crackhead illegal alien, there wouldn't be any question that the tactic used was the correct one.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I'd rather see him slam into a police road block and be taken out than have the idiot slam into some innocent person and killing or hurting them. When he chose to run, he made his choice.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The article says that he was doing 100 mph when he hit the patrol car.

Death wish? :dunno: Unable to stop in time? :dunno:

Normal conditions of road blocks that I have encountered is they set patrol cars up so traffic has to slow down and zig-zag to get through but will be unable to negotiate the turns at high speeds.

Just a lot of unanswered questions like why did he evade and was there plenty of advance visual warning for him to slow down.

I am not giving him a pass -- I just want to know what is consider "policy" to stop a motorcycle.

Would spike strips thrown in the path of a speeding motorcycle be considered deadly force?
If the purpose is to stop the rider period -- why not just shoot him?

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now this is an excellent example of voluntary self removal from the gene pool:

http://www.1bakersfield.com/news/read/2/70988

Burglary suspect dies fleeing from Cops on motorcycle By: Bill Curtis
2:49 PM Monday, March 27th, 2006

Early Sat Morning 3/25 Deputies were dispatched to a possible commercial burglary in progress located at 211030 Snow Rd. Two suspects fled the scene on a motorcycle just prior to Deputies arrival. The Air Support Unit was able to locate two subjects riding a motorcycle from the area.

Deputies attempted to stop the motorcycle but the driver failed to yeild and a pursuit was initiated. The Air Support Unit followed the motorcycle. After a brief pursuit, the driver of the motorcycle pulled over at the intersection of Old Farm Rd at Jewetta Ave. and allowed the passenger to get off of the motorcycle. The passenger,
Donald Webb Jr., was taken into custody.

The driver of the motorcycle continued to flee from Deputies after
dropping off Webb Jr. The motorcycle was traveling westbound on James Rd, approaching Hwy 65 at a high rate
of speed when the vehicle left the
roadway and crashed. The driver of the motorcycle died at the scene.
The drivers name is Richard Jay Howard, Jr.age 40 of Bakersfield.

·
Enjoy The Silence
158 Posts
Jams said:
Would spike strips thrown in the path of a speeding motorcycle be considered deadly force?
If the purpose is to stop the rider period -- why not just shoot him?
I was thinking the same thing, about the spike strips.
My-2$en#e- , if I'm going to run from the law, they're going to do what they have to do to stop me and protect the public. I don't see a problem.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Hold it a minute...

That vehicle says DUI Task Force. This was a road block at midnight.

They didnt say it was a felony chase, they didnt even say pursuit.

Sounds to me like they were doing a routine DUI checkpoint and this clown was hauling ass and slammed into them, and now they are going to press charges.

This doesnt mean I am right, or wrong, we just dont know what all happened with that piss ant story

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think that things are not what they seem. First off, if the bike was travelling anywhere near 100 MPH it would have gone right through the door of that SUV, not lying relatively intact on it's side next to the truck. It is also highly unlikely that the rider would have survived the impact, helmet or not. Sounds more like the police are doing damage control here.......Bill

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is getting weirder by the minute

Naples man recovers after hitting patrol car
Last Update: 3/30/2006 8:38:02 AM

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - A Naples man is in the hospital after hitting into a Collier County Sheriff's patrol car.

The Florida Highway Patrol reports that Daniel Watkins was driving his motorcycle when it collided with the patrol car.

The bike turned over and Watkins was thrown off.

Officer Chayne Cunningham had been parked in an outside lane with the emergency lights were on.

Watkins was taken to the hospital. His condition is not yet known.

No charges have been filed.

http://www.cbs47.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=632DE6AA-55B9-40DA-B722-382539AE86A9

©2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts