V-Twin Forum banner

Motorcycle Parts hard to get.

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  guarnold 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced problems obtaining spare parts? I have not worked on my Harley lately but I had a job rebuilding carburetors on a 1990 Goldwing SE and after tearing it apart I had difficulty getting the necessary parts for repair. I had to settle for aftermarket parts which were missing critical o rings. I was lucky that there were some here that would work. The bike is old but Bike Bandit has always been reliable in the past. I was unable to reach anyone at the company via phone, chat or email. I canceled the order via my credit card company and had to open a dispute.
RevZilla has a disclaimer when you visit the site that you may experience significant delays. RevZilla wouldn't pick up the phone either. I finally decided to use Ebay and the small sellers were able to ship.
I also bought some tires from Dennis Kirk in May and they shipped right away.

#2 ·
I have been trying to find a one piece heel toe shifter for my Suzuki C 50. The OP cut the heel part off with a hack saw. eBay shows 2 piece shifters. I'd hate to go to the dealer who is a 45 minute ride they probably want 120 bucks and I have to go twice. Once to order it and have to go back next week. [emoji3525]

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

#4 ·
but you are a mechanic and I am an oil changer. Actually you are more of a Kilroy. There is a bike junkyard an hour from here it will be somewhere to ride to. The one that fits perfect on eBay is half chrome half rust so I might get it.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I can tell you in my shop we have had problems getting OEM and aftermarket parts but it's due to COVID. A lot of the parts warehouses in certain states were closed and the rest of the companies had to catch up. As far as used parts go Yeah I am having a hell of a time finding a sending unit for a 95 Electra Glide.

#9 ·
Some parts from the MoCo are running late, they claim its covid impacting their suppliers. Been waiting on a couple of plastic parts for going on two months from Harley.

And a lot of stuff that was being shipped from China by air is now coming by boat. Word on that is that they were shipping stuff as cargo on passenger flights, but that space dried up when the number of flights was cut back. I've been waiting on a set of motor brushes for three months now, American brand but made in China.

#11 ·
Has anyone experienced problems obtaining spare parts? I have not worked on my Harley lately but I had a job rebuilding carburetors on a 1990 Goldwing SE and after tearing it apart I had difficulty getting the necessary parts for repair. I had to settle for aftermarket parts which were missing critical o rings. I was lucky that there were some here that would work. The bike is old but Bike Bandit has always been reliable in the past. I was unable to reach anyone at the company via phone, chat or email. I canceled the order via my credit card company and had to open a dispute.
RevZilla has a disclaimer when you visit the site that you may experience significant delays. RevZilla wouldn't pick up the phone either. I finally decided to use Ebay and the small sellers were able to ship.
I also bought some tires from Dennis Kirk in May and they shipped right away.
Try your local Ace Hardware for O-rings. Mine has a large supply of all sizes. The reason I know. I’m. Plumbing contractor and my supplier can’t supply them. They want me to buy a complete kit for rebuilding faucets. So I walked into my local Ace Hardware one day just to see if the had any of this certain size. I found a drawer full of just about any size I wanted. So about 2 months later I was working on my FatBoy. Harley could not get this one o-ring I wanted. I took a chance and went to the hardware store. Sure enough. They had the size I wanted plus one size up & One size smaller.
Good luck......

#12 ·
I would have thought that Harley would still supply all parts for a 95. There are lots of EVOs still around.

Reactions: DIRTRACER15
#14 ·
I don't have much experience with older bikes Mine is a 2012. I have done extensive work on a 1990 Electra Glide sport and the fuel injection and cam position sensor on a 2000 Road king. I was able to get dealer parts for both bikes. That was a few years ago. I rebuilt the engine on a 1979 Honda CX 500 2 years ago and there were few OEM parts available. I did get a Honda water pump but the rest of the parts were low quality aftermarket. With my limited experience Harley parts availability seemed really good.

#17 ·
It's going to be very hard on repair shops if this situation gets worse. Yo can't make any decent money unless you can turn over the jobs quickly.

#22 ·
I took my bike to the dealer for it's annual inspection today. The service manager told me they are having trouble getting parts from Harley. Apparently the factory was closed for 2 and a half months and the warehouses are very low on parts.
I have to think that more companies than Harley are in this situation. What is going to happen when you can't get parts for long haul trucks and locomotives? How about power plant turbines?

#24 ·
My limited experience with the aftermarket parts I have tried has not been good. Not much with Harley but with older metric bikes. Harley parts for my bike have been available and the quality has been good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.