V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any recommendations on a good motorcycle friendly insurance company? Currently with Allstate, Harley insurance isn’t much better on the rate. Over 1000.00 a year for full replacement on an 04 EG Classic with a spotless record. Is this the normal rate for a bagger? Seems kind of excessive. #@SasF#

·
Registered
366 Posts
Got my best deal with Progressive premiums have decreased every year with no claim activity now paying 575 year for 03 FXSTDI and that is with a marked up driving record first policy was 800 year in 02. That is full coverage.
You will get many responses with everyone telling you their situation and rates.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Time to shop

$1000 is way too much if your record's clean. When I traded my Sporty for a Dyna, Geico boosted my premium from $360 to over $900. My dealer recommended a broker that hooked me up with Progressive for $380.

Geico's excuse for scalping me was that my new motorcycle is a sport bike. I told them that my excuse for switching insurance companies is that my new sport is running over little green lizards sporting British accents with my new sport bike.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I have 2 bikes, with Allstate about $1700 a year, went to Liberty Mutual dropped about $200. North Carolina is now allowing Progressive to write here and I'm paying $825.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I'm glad I don't live in NC....I pay $525 a year for full coverage on a Road King Classic and Sportster thru State Farm here in Va.

H

·
0 Posts
Check with your dealer. The best price varies from place to place. I was paying about $360.00 per year with State Farm. Dealer referred me to a Farmer's agent. Now I'm less than $200.00 per year, that's full coverage on a '04 Road King Classic, with 100,000/300,000 liability, and $500 comp and collision deductibles. Dealers tend to know where the best prices are because they have to overcome the "insurance cost objection" to make a lot of sales.

Harris

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
State Farm

Three bikes with State Farm: 99 Glide @ $ 417; 03 glide 438, and; 83 glide with custom pain and side car @ $ 290.

Part of the cost is directly related to the deductable level. When I went from $ 250 deductable to $ 1,000 deductable I saved around 30%. And those other extras you might be carrying all could add a little bit here and there.

Insurance is one of those things you can never be sure of untill you need to collect. That is when you find out exactly what they will pay for rather than what you thought they would pay for.

I've gotten paid by State Farm everytime I had a claim: bikes, cars, buildings, boats, etc. In every case I was satisfied with the amount they paid. On the other hand I've sure had a run around with some companies when I was suppose to get paid by the insurer of the guy that hit me.

A number of friends here have now bought through Progressive. None have had a claim to use as a basis for evaluating their pay outs. However, a local body shop that operates almost entirely on insurance company business refuses to deal with Progressive. But I can not say he gave me a reason why he would not deal with them. It could be a personal reason and not a business reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have state farm and am really happy. I just turned 25 with a clean driving record. I have 100/300 coverage w/uninsured and underinsured, $250 deductible on a 2006 SuperGlide. Premium = $435/year. Before I was 25, my premium was $1500/year. Glad I only had the scoot a month before I turned 25.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm was 100% insured American Family, but they were almost TWICE to cost for cycle insurance than was PROGRESSIVE!

Same coverage! The bottomline is that Am-Fam doesn't like to insure bikes. Even for existing policy holders in good standing.

So for my bike, it's Progressive. I did it all on the Web. Now I have not needed them yet, but I've heard good things about them.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
KLars1 said:
Do you guys recommend Uninsured motorist? That is the major chunk of the cost on my policy...
I do 100%.. With some of the clowns out there driving cages with NO insurance. I personally know of two different fellows that got ran over by un-insured drivers and one didn't even have a drivers license. Was up here from a country south of the Texas border...but that's a discussion for the "Religion and Politics" thread. Sorry!

o~\o

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I had progressive, they sucked. Went to Geico and their rates were ok. But then my farmers guy said he could save me money and give better coverage. He was right, $342 a year with $500 deductable for my 01 RG. Also boosted coverage and additional medical coverage that I didn't get with geico for about 2 hundred more a year w/1000 deductable.
hell, my car insurance even went down cuz of multi vehicle discount!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The one thing I've noticed is that not two persons will ever get the same rate! We pay about $550 for my EG Std. through State Farm. I switched from Geico last December, they were a little cheaper, but then after having them for a year, they were raising the prices! They never gave a good answer, and I had no accidents/tickets (none for my autos either), decent credit score, etc. I checked Progressive, and they have been double almost everyone else I've compared them to (still can't figure that one out! :2flips: ) I would've kept them with USAA, but they don't insure motorcycles (well they do, but they go through Progressive, so doesn't help me much!)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Progressive gets me for $550 a year for full coverage on my '97 FXSTS. I'm only 23, but I have a clean driving record.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Looks like Geico might be offering low rates to new customers, then once you're hooked, they jack rates up about a year later. I just signed up with them. I pay $418/year for full coverage on an '06 DWG. Hope they don't try to raise my rates after a year. If they do, I'll call Progressive.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Just renewed my 04 WideGlide with Progressive for $325.00. Excellent driving record, good credit score and just turn 54.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Progressive, 05 RG 504.00 a year full coverage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts