V-Twin Forum banner

motorcycle insurance for my new roadking classic

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  pirate50 
#1 ·
I live in new york city and just bought a new roadking classic with a factory custom paint scheme, screaming eagle 1 upgrade and about $3000 dollars worth of chrome. I will be picking up the bike in March and have been searching for a reasonable rate on insurance to fully cover my ride. Please let me know what is out there.

#2 ·
I always have had good luck with HD Insurance / Dairyland, but also know people that think otherwise. Generally your best bet is your local independent insurance agent, as they keep up to date on changes.

Dairyland's rates for stated value accessories seem pretty reasonable, and some companies will not insure for replacement value at all, but this seems to change from area to area and from time to time.

#3 ·
Insurance

I just bought a 2002 White Pearl RKC also, I have it insured through H-D Ins. which goes through Dairyland. They have full replacement coverage for any extras that's on your bike and their rates are pretty good also.

You are going to really like that RKC, I sold a 2001 custom painted Deuce and bought mine and I love it. I went with the stage 1, had the re-flash done and installed the Hooker tuned flow slip-ons and it is awesome.

It was over 80 degrees here in VA. today and I got to put a few miles on this evening after work.:)

Congratulations on your new bike and ride safe:D

Don

#5 ·
From what I have found Dairyland and Progressive are about the cheapest. They both have good policies and will insure extras. You might try the company where you car/auto is insured. Alot of times they will give you a little better rate with multiple policies.

#6 ·
Yes, The insurance company gives you a discount only because it to THERE advantage, Example if you have Your Home and four Vehicles on the same policy and your Liability coverage and medical is $100,000 (for each occurrence) If You Hit someone or someone hits you Or Sue's you Maximum Ins Pays is $100,000, Had you had your House and all Vehicles insured Separately for $100,000 Then Insurance Company Liability is 5x the amount $500,000. This comes in handy for you if you are injured (unable to work) and need additional $ to recover for your loss or your protection.

Insurance Expense should not be cheaped out although you should not pay more for coverage so shop around ,You can Verify this with any ambulance chaser (Lawyer) in your State.

You should have at least Your MC on a Separate Policy also if you carry a passenger be sure to check before you sign it! That your Co-rider is also covered, Most do not cover this , If that's the case Then (who-ever) is your passenger will have to SUE you for Damage or additional Medical Expense in Case of accident or injury.

Now that this is out of the way :)
Have Fun and enjoy your Ride.

#7 ·
I did not know that you could have Auto and general libility all on one policy. I was just saying that your company will give you a better rate for multiple policies. Right now I have my bike with my auto policy. I will move it when it expires to the company that has my truck insurance. The company I have my equipment insurance insurance with, wants to be my friend and help me out. Therefore they are going to beat everyone elses motorcycle rates. Basically what I was saying is shop around with everyone. The ones who you think will be the most expensive might be the cheapest.

#8 ·
One more thing. Some companies will insure everyone who drives/rides it and some will only insure 1 person on the policy. For most people this will not matter but to me it does. I like to let other people ride my scoot sometimes such as Father, Brother, Father-in-Law, and I want it to be insured with everybody. I know with Progressive you must let them know everyone who will be riding it and they will charge accordingly. The company I am with now will cover anyone who rides it for the same price.

#10 ·
Ins

Loren, I live in NJ, highest Ins area i believe in the nation. I called Universal Underwriters and quoted $1024.00 per year. I called HD insurance department today who use the same underwriter and was quoted $924.00. Same coverage, etc. So you'll have an understanding this was based on, 42 yrs of age, no accidents, no tixs, garage kept, experienced rider, license, but the most important part is the coverage. I had the highest, 250,000, 500,000 & 100,000 per accident. Same for underinsured/no insured, etc.

You can get less but i have to much to loose. Next year my prems will decrease by 20% for renewal. Also, this was on a 2002 road king classic valued at $25,000.

Hope this helps

Joe

#11 ·
Thanks for your replies. I believe that,for motorcycles, New York City is probably one of the most expensive areas for insurance. I would love to call Universal Underwriters if you have a number for me I would greatly appreciate it. The best quote that I have gotten so far is from Dairyland which was for $1900/yr with full replacement value. Obviously I would love to do better and will keep looking. Thanks

#13 ·
I stumbled upon Progressive through a local agent. They had the best price. When I check out other providers their prices are usually close to double what I'm paying through Progressive. Dairyland included. The reason for this is the reduced usage clause for the winter months. The basic policy for my 02 RoadKing is about $240/year.

#14 ·
Not in NJ

NJ is limited to what ins company can work in the NJ state. Progressive is not permitted. I ended up going thru HD who uses Universal underwriters. The best price for a new rider is $920.00 and that is with the HIGHEST DOLLARS offered in each cat. 100,000, 500,000, 100,000.

#15 ·
The March 2002 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (www.mcnews.com) has an interesting article on bike insurance rates. Buttom line: there is no one best company or one company with the cheapest rates.

There are vast differences in rates among companies and across the Country. The highest quote rate was for a young, unmarried male rider with a sports bike in New York City. The highest quoted rate was $24K (that is not a misprint!). The same company would offer an old dude like me the same coverage in NYC for $2K. What a deal!!! Dairyland would offer the coverage in NYC for $200. However, Dairyland does NOT insure in California and several other states.

I'll stick with the coverage provided by USAA. They are not always the cheapest; however, I know they'll pay off on a claim. And that's kinda an important thing!!!!

#16 ·
I realize this thread is about insuring an RK and I don’t live anywhere near you and your scoot, but here’s the rate for a 2002 Ultra in sunny San Diego California. $347 for 6 months at $250,000/500,000 liability/uninsured/underinsured, $100,000 property, with a $250 deductible on fire/theft/collision. Oh yeah, the company is Alstate.

Dave

#17 ·
I also use USAA but they farm out to progressive. I compared with Dairyland and d-land was about 100 bucks cheaper with a 5000 upgrade coverage vs. 3000 with progressive. Gonna shop around in 2010 and see what I come up with. Of course being in houston city limits doesn't help with lower rates

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.