V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was talking to a guy at work who mentioned how he wanted a big fat rear tire for his bike. Don't ask me why, but I jokingly said something about him making his bike a dualie in the back.

We started talking about whether the idea was actually feasible, what it would take to do it, whether it would work, how the handling would be, pros/cons, etc.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I figured I'd throw the idea out here and see if anyone has ever heard of something like this and what kind of ideas/comments people had.

It worries me that sometimes this stuff just pops into my head, but I'm curious... Any comments? Anyone? Anyone??

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Well, where's the line between dualie and trike? Would you want both wheels inside the swingarm? That would be one W I D E rear end. If you ran them on an axle with the mounts and sprocket in between then you've got a trike. Doesn't seem like something I'd waste my time on. There's really a limit on how wide you wanna go in the back without really adversly affecting your handling

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dean!

This is a purely hypothetical sit-ee-ation - just threw if out there for sh*ts and giggles, but we weren't talking trike.

No one's planning on actually building something like this, but if someone did, it would be one of those things that's not really practical or functional, but someone would do it just 'cause it's never been done before! Not having the mechanical expertise, I was curious as to whether something like this was even possible.

Man, I have too much free time - I need to get a hobby! LOL!

·
BMF
87 Posts
I did see that once in a magazine. Two wheels next to each other inside the swingarm. Can't recall how they did it though. I remember they said it was difficult to turn!

·
Registered
366 Posts
The only dualie bikes I have seen were dirt racers, They were tricked out Sporty's . I've sen stranger things on bikes :)
R-

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
chingon said:
.......... I've seen stranger things on bikes :)
R-
OMG, did you guys see my Bud go by, blue rat sporty with dualies and a pint of Jack with,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
228 Posts
I remember when customized show cars were offten built and wouldn't even have any mechanical parts in the car untill they changed the rules.
Any one know do the show bikes have to be built to the same type of rules ?
Im just curious I enjoy seeing new innovation but I think if you build it it should be functional.
I'm not so sure about trying to handle a dually bike, I like to be a little more practical but you do have a unique idea.

Here's a pic of a V rod trike it's been posted before by Harleyhog but just in case you missed it..

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, folks.

Omigosh - I'd sure like to see the pic you saw in a magazine - that sounds like the type of setup we were thinking of.

I figured someone must have thought of it and done it before, but I don't have the mechanical know-how to figure out how it could be done.

If anyone finds a pic, please post!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
A dually bike would be a defenite suicide ride. The rollover of the rear tire is what gives a bike its predictable tracking when following the directional path of the front tire. With two round treaded tires (rounded required for cornering) side by side the rear would walk from one to the other thereby throwing you right into a reverse death wobble beacuse there is NO center tread contact patch. Even HUGE rear fattys have a dome unless their intended use is a straight line and then they ARE domed after the first 55 feet of the drag strip by virtue of inertia.
Just my 2 cents.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dyna - that's kind of what my initial thought was - that having twin tires in the rear would make handling of the bike S-C-A-R-Y. Thanks for your 2-cents worth!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts