V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in joining a motorcycle club. Nothing 1% or anything like that, just want to get involved and have people to ride with, take trips, etc. I have tried to contact the local HOG chapter with no luck. I am not aware of anything in my area (Texas Panhandle). I just recently purchased my bike and do not have any friends that ride. Just looking to find others that enjoy the same things. Any ideas on how to find if any such thing is available in my area?

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Go to motorcycle shops, look for local magazines. We have one here that has a metric ton of information in it about all sorts of places and stuff for motorcycles and thier clubs.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
just go to your local dealer on a saturday and look for any guys with colors on...If they look nice enough, then just ask. Most of them would be happy to explain their club and activites. Most clubs anyway.....Local magazines are also good, i am not sure of the ones in your area though. They have lots of advertising in them with activities.........

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
bdog1234 said:
I am interested in joining a motorcycle club. Nothing 1% or anything like that, just want to get involved and have people to ride with, take trips, etc.
Hi bdog,

The correct terminology is that you are interested in joining a "Riding Club"

You probably scared the sh!t out of the HOG folks asking them for the neaest MC. :yes: :hystria: :hystria: :hystria:

Good luck.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
11 Posts
If interested you could try a CMA (Christian Motorcycle Association) group. There is one in Amarillo. Check out www.cmausa.org. CMA is a good group and will not judge you by the type of bike you ride or judge you personally. Plus they are good clean (sober) riders.

LeavenworthJeff
05 FXDI

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
ABATE is another alternative to HOG. Most ABATE chapters are definately not the C&S type. Many HOG chapters are. HOG is MOCO/Dealer oriented totally.
Others will chime in....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do a search for the SCRC. (Southern Cruisers Riding Club). Thae have a couple Chapters down there. They are a very active and really great group for all different types of riding. Ed

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The Boozefighters have some Texas chapters. Not 1% but they they do like to drink and party.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
bdog1234 said:
I am interested in joining a motorcycle club. Nothing 1% or anything like that, just want to get involved and have people to ride with, take trips, etc. I have tried to contact the local HOG chapter with no luck. I am not aware of anything in my area (Texas Panhandle). I just recently purchased my bike and do not have any friends that ride. Just looking to find others that enjoy the same things. Any ideas on how to find if any such thing is available in my area?

Not sure what you mean by not having any luck contacting the local Hog Chapter. All you have to do is show up at a meeting. If you are not drooling, they will make you a member.

The Chapters are listed on the Harley website and you can find out locations and times. It's really not all that difficult.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
Whoa, there, pardner!

Let's ask ourselves why we want (or feel the need) to join a club.

I've seen lots of guys who become prospects because they want to wear the patch. The embroidery does not make you taller or stronger.

In many ways, it puts you on the bottom of the food chain. The club was there before you were. If has its own goals and its own rules. Your treasured opinion becomes one voice of fifty.

However, if you want to meet guys who love bikes, who don't sweat the small stuff, and who occasionally fart and tell a "farmer's daughter joke" after choir practice, there's nothing better than a bike club.

I had just turned 20 when I joined. Learning the interaction of people was something I used throughout my adult life. Being reprimanded and told to STFU was a cold slap you don't get, and sometimes need, in a politer society.

I went to Border's bookstore today with my wife. Without much thought, I wore a black T-shirt which has the club's emblem on the back. Good or bad, it makes a statement to the public sector whose most thrilling moment is a new Altoids mint.

I had some frightening times with bipolar episodes, but I do not fear life anymore. Your friends, now brothers, help you up, find you work, watch your back and bolster your wounded pride. Your most prized possessions will be old faded club pictures.

If it's the 'patch,' join a bowling league. Their shirts are usually colored much nicer. If you want to make a commitment, find a Club Enforcer and tell him you need a sponsor to become a prospect.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
2 months of owning my bike I joined a bike ckub but its more of just a bunch of guys that ride. We do charity rides and donate all procedes back to the community. Kinda fun. So far haven't had anything to complain about. Although I have noticed that if you don't show up for meetings they elect you to be in charge of the next event.

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
and remember....you are not a biker. You are a motorcycle enthusiast. And smile when you say that.

Fred

25 years ago when I lived in Corpus Christi I was a member of TMRA.
Check them out at http://www.tmra.org/

?prty:

·
Registered
102 Posts
bdog1234 said:
I am interested in joining a motorcycle club.

jeesh,,, "The tourist" must have got in my brain and sucked out my thoughts.
If you feel the "need" to join a group, I'm sure you'll find one. In years gone by, my handle was "slick-back". No colors on me.... the only groups I rode with were non-affiliates and I was NOT a member. Just a passenger.

If I was attracted to a group, I'd have to lean toward the Nomads, an HA affiliate. Been to plenty of runs sponsored by them, liked their ethics and integrity, liked their demeanors and heart.... But I do NOT want to commit to them or their club. I am my own man....

I like the HA and the Nomads, but no way would I attempt to prospect or make overtures to join....I'm my own man. I'm a slick-back and I've always been one.

If you feel the need to enlist some place, hey dude, go 4 it. But if you're just looking for a fraternity, look around and you'll probably find me and a few dozen others just chilling. If you are smart and honest you can probably ride with us for a few hundred miles.

I'd urge ya to be yourself and let a group choose YOU... not the other way around.

Just a few cents...

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
newultraclassic said:
Not sure what you mean by not having any luck contacting the local Hog Chapter. All you have to do is show up at a meeting. If you are not drooling, they will make you a member.
For some reason I busted out laughing when I read this. :roflback:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't really feel the need to have a patch or anything like that. Heck when I was in college all my buddies wanted me to join their fraternities, but I never wanted to. With the bike deal, it is just something new to me. I will be completely honest in that I don't know a whole lot about them, and I do not have any friends that ride. In fact most my friends think I am crazy for riding, but that is a whole other story. I just would like to spend some time with some folks who are into bikes so that I can learn, and see what kinds of fun things there are to do. Group rides, trips, etc all seem like a good time.

As for the HOG chapter, I emailed them about joining, etc and never heard back. Maybe they are not too active this time of year?

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
bdog1234 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't really feel the need to have a patch or anything like that. Heck when I was in college all my buddies wanted me to join their fraternities, but I never wanted to. With the bike deal, it is just something new to me. I will be completely honest in that I don't know a whole lot about them, and I do not have any friends that ride. In fact most my friends think I am crazy for riding, but that is a whole other story. I just would like to spend some time with some folks who are into bikes so that I can learn, and see what kinds of fun things there are to do. Group rides, trips, etc all seem like a good time.

As for the HOG chapter, I emailed them about joining, etc and never heard back. Maybe they are not too active this time of year?
If you are interested in your local HOG chapter, call the local dealership and ask when and where the next meeting is..Like NUC said, just show up, fill out the paperwork, pay the $ ( $40.00 for your national, and about $20 for local ) , and your in.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
????????

Teufelhunden said:
Just be REAL carefulll about what states you wear that patch in. Not meant to be a threat in any manner, but there have been some problems......nuff said

Teu
That's a hell of a blanket statement. Why would a whole ''state'' be against vets?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts