V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 FHLTCI on order that is scheduled for a mid-June delivery. I have never owned a H-D and have not yet seen the owners manual; I am looking for information or recommendations in regards to using synthetic motor oil or regular H-D brand motor oil…

Thank you

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There are as many opinions as riders out there. As far as I'm concerned it's not wether you run synthetic, but which one.
Have been running this stuff for almost 20 years on bikes now, and even longer in other applications.
The decision depends on any number of factors, some of then of non technical nature.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, if money is no object and you can supply the proper references, we can sell you the best oil there is.
Used by the Ferrari formula 1 team among others.

·
Registered
117 Posts
On my 01 FXD I experienced more topend noise when running Mobil 1 15w50 compared to Castol 20w50. I like synthetics in the tranny,makes it shift a lot smoother than conventional oil. I don't know if others have experienced more top end noise with synthetics or not.I didn't like the noise so I went back to Dino oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Castrol

Hey Bub, When using Castrol oil I sure hope you are using CASTROL "S" oil. and not there car oil. I use either Harley oil or Castrol "S" oil in all of my customers bikes. But I use Syn. Amsoil in my own race bike and my bagger.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Castrol

mor pwr 104 said:
Hey Bub, When using Castrol oil I sure hope you are using CASTROL "S" oil. and not there car oil. I use either Harley oil or Castrol "S" oil in all of my customers bikes. But I use Syn. Amsoil in my o
wn race bike and my bagger.
I thought as long as the oil was rated for a diesel it would be fine.What is the difference? Have you experienced more top end noise when goig to synthetics? Thanks!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
What oil to use

Ok here we go, yes you can run diesel oil's as long as they are rated CF-4, CG-4, CE, CF. Most diesels run a 15/40 weight oil in them. I know because my personal truck is a FORD Powerstroke Diesel. I run AMSOIL series 3000 5w/30 diesel oil in it. Diesel oil's are made to combat a soot problem that diesel's have. If you want to run that type of oil in your Harley, go ahead, but I wouldn't. I'm not going to get into an arguement with all of you over which oil is better than another, but I will say, stay with oil's for your Harley, that are formulated for motorcycles, they have a sling additive in them and are made to run all day at oil temp's. in the 200 deg. to 240 deg. all day long. Also I have put AMSOIL 20/50 in several of my customer bikes without any more engine noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts