V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I wanted some opinions on some motor mods I want to do to my 03 carbed Fatboy. I have over 30 years racing/ridding experience with motocross bikes and did all the work myself but this is the first HD for me. I just want to ask some guys that have had some of these things done how they like or dislike them.

1. I want to put a SE-204 cam
2. Bigger Carb
3. SE- Air Cleaner Kit
4. V/H Pipes either the staggered or big shots.

I don’t want to do any head work or big bore kits at this time. I just want to add a little more thump then what it has stock. Do you think this will give me another 10 to 15hp? Or is there something else I should do to it that will help?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
1. I want to put a SE-204 cam
2. Bigger Carb
3. SE- Air Cleaner Kit
4. V/H Pipes either the staggered or big shots.

1. No problem if you are not going any further. Get a set of SE adjustable pushrods. It will save you most of the work, like removing the tank and the rockers and covers.
2. Not likely to gain you much. If you have to go this way, on a light bike, get a HSR42 Mikuni, but it will have to be rejetted.
3. No problem. make sure you get the latest version.
4. If you go for that sort of pipes make sure it is the latest version with a hidden crossover. You do not want to lose the crossover. A cheap set of Cycle Shacks works as good as anything with that type of engine configuration.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Your better off doing head work carb pipes & cams. Some guys make 10 -15 more HP with stock cams and they are much easer on the valve trane. In fact a carb & pipes cam get you 5-10 more HP over stock (with a K&N air filter).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HIPPO Would you recommend a different set of pipes. I know you will get better performance from a 2in1 pipe but I really don’t like the look.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
KISS, on a softail the stock head pipes and a cheap set of Cycle Shacks works as good as anything. They don't have the stock headpipe issues of the baggers. If there is another slip on you like you will lose some but not much. Just keep the crossover.
You lose it and the bike will have a huge loss in midrange and become very difficult to tune.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Hippo your thoughts please ...

Just had my 2003 FLSTC worked on in a similar way at my 1000 mi. service.

1) Yost power tube put into stock carb
2) SE air cleaner kit
3) SE II slip ons

Is this a compatible configuration? I went on the dealers recommendation. Are the slip ons ok or are they stealing midrange HP? I did not want anything overly loud. I had them dyno the bike before and after the work but I don't have the dyno sheet with me. I'll post the numbers later.

Thanks,
Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts