V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ignore List Parolee
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I working on is a 2002 FLHTC 88CI w/ 62K miles, 26Gs, comp cam lifters, motor work 2 years old at 52K.The owner recently traveled to Tenn from S FL. Across the state line the motor started making noises. No loss of power. No starting issues. Spent 9.5 hours at SMHD in Maryville. a 18 year veteran tech found a loose comp nut, and took off both cylinders/heads and said nothing is apparently wrong. Customer WASN'T charged! Vehicle was ridden back to Miami. Upon my inspection the comp nut that was tightened but obviously not fully inspected is it took out the rotor. I replaced the rotor and spring "hat"and shimmed the nut. The "spring hat" was sacked out! First time I've seen this. Set the primary chain tension with the HB125. Cold, the sound starts off "dry" like little birds chirping, kinda like an old shovel stroker motor (sewing machine). As temps build the noises begin to start sounding like its in the valve train. In my experiences fairly stock motors with stock H-D parts rarely come apart. True? At least with their pistons and such. Not wanting to disregard a dealership's veteran's inspection, if I had to guess it sounds like possibly like a loose wrist pin. I'm aware anything is possible but even to me this seems unlikely as this machine is used and not abused. BTW during the last 2 oil changes there were ferrous metal deposits on his drain plugs. Ideas? THANK YOU. TK.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
The next thing I would do is check my oil pressure & compresion. If the bottom end is on its way out I don't know of anyother test you can do without tearing into it. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
74 Posts
Metal found on the drain plug may be the clue.
I would suspect a bad sprocket shaft bearing.
They will mimick other engine noise.

Check sprocket shaft end play and runout.
Do this with everything removed from the shaft including the alt rotor.

·
Ignore List Parolee
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your suggestions. 2 replied out of the 126 folks that looked out of the 54,000 members here on VTF. TK.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Noise

I just saw the thread our I would have interjected sooner.
A squeaking noise that becomes louder as it warms and oil contamination?
I'd start in the cam chest area. You may find a bearing issue. Either way, the engine should be dissassembled, and cleaned, until it is free of all contaminates.
A wrist pin related noise is usually a noise on deceleration.
Hope this is of some help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts