V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
One of the cooler things I've seen this year. :cool:

If that doesn't make you appreciate the mounted officers, I don't know what would. My hats off to our LEO riders. :bowdwn:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just gotta figure out the mud! The video reminds me of getting my motorcycle lic. Examiner Bertha Battleax even made me set up and pick up the cones. She didn't believe me when I told her the bike didn't have an enricher because it was fuel injected.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I recommend Ride Like a Pro. There have been many earlier threads about it. It's amazing how these guys can turn big bikes on a dime. I've practiced the techniques, but these guys would still be calling me "grasshopper" if they saw the result. I've improved, but I'm not in this league.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Gotta say it even thought Im repeating Mad city. Ride like a pro 4 and surviving the mean streets dvds are well worth the money. Professionally done. I've been out of the saddle a while so when I got the new bike, I ordered both. Great refresher and learned new material also. Cut some tennis balls in half, set a course and it's fun, not work. In a couple hours, Im taking turns on my big harley with my foot scraping the ground and no fear that the bike is gonna tip. New riders and even those w/time should check it out.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
The techniques boil down to keeping the clutch in the friction zone, lightly applying throttle while feathering the rear brake to keep power to the wheel (don't touch the front brake "because it will drag you down like a magnet") and turning "the head AND eyes" in the direction you want to turn. Easier said than done, but I definitely see the point.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Thanks for the reminder.....

Trapper1 said:
Gotta say it even thought Im repeating Mad city. Ride like a pro 4 and surviving the mean streets dvds are well worth the money. Professionally done. I've been out of the saddle a while so when I got the new bike, I ordered both. Great refresher and learned new material also. Cut some tennis balls in half, set a course and it's fun, not work. In a couple hours, Im taking turns on my big harley with my foot scraping the ground and no fear that the bike is gonna tip. New riders and even those w/time should check it out.
I was waiting for number 4 to appear; now my order is going in! :thanks: Hey, they even used helmet cam :thumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do you guys think the short, fat 16" front tire greatly aids in these turns, or is the average Dyna or Softail just as nimble & capable?

If I were to attempt that on my SuperGlide I'd probably be ordering parts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Guys, anyone who thinks they cannot do most of that or even all with practice is short changing themselves.
There is some great talent there 4 sure and no, I am not that good.....yet. With more practice, yeah, I could do it.
After a couple hours I was amazed at how much control I had over that bike.
I'll tell ya the truth, If I was selling bikes, Id feel guilty if I didnt give the guys card to buyers. I actually called them up yesterday and their sending me cards that I can leave at my loacal Dealers.
Mad City explained the technique but you need to practice it. The good part like I said before, it's fun.
Yes, My basically Stock Superglide Custom Dyna can do all that. Theres 100 pound cuties doing it on dressers and dueces in those videos.

·
Registered
116 Posts
KaKA, theres a instruct/diagram sheet that comes with the dvds.
I cut 4 tennis balls in half, shoved them in my pocket and went to the local school parking lot. Your super Glide can do it cause mine does.
I think the line that sums it up is when Jerry says in the videos, the time to figure out how far your bike will lean is not in a intersection on the street.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Hello-

I have taken Harris' course, as well as the MSF/BRC and ERC. While I feel that I am an above average rider, I am no where near the skill level of these motor officers.

They look like they have had weeks, if not months, of professional motor training. Some of those guys look like they have God given talent, period.

I have gotten as far as the iron cross, and I had more than 100 hours of personal practice time, before Harris even gave me the diagram....oh yeah, its a whole different ball game when you're practicing stuff like this on your own bike!...let's just say I hope you like picking it up a lot.

( The 40 degree pullout looks especially difficult, as it requires the rider to do things that are completely counterintuitive...i.e..making a full lock turn from a dead stop with both feet on the floor boards...all the while, having a head and eye focus to the far left, or right. )

I'm not here to discourage, as these things can be done. The problem is most of us do not have the time to dedicate, or, simply are not into dropping their 20k+ machine so many times that they will lose count, along the way.

If you find that you are really serious about motor training, please know that the friction zone of these clutches ( as well as my own ) have been seriously modified. Even a trained professional would have a hard time completing these exercises on a bone stock bike.

The good news is that you guys will not believe how much this stuff effects your overall riding skill....The size/sex of the rider has no bearing, as I weigh all of 155lbs and my personal bike is a 2004 Police Edition E-Glide.

If you can get your riding skill up to the point of being able to complete 18x36 foot figure eights, without the rear brake, then you are well on your way to being able to complete a majority of the exercises in these videos.

Good luck everyone,
David

G

·
Riding the course the cones aren't confusing. In the videos you're looking from the outside of the pattern across them. When you're riding they make more sense.

Harris

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
Very good video. I was supriesed at how well it was produced. Very proffesional. Our motor officers go through pretty rigorous training and I DEFINATELY would not want to use my personal ride for training.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts