V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with installation experience on Motolights care to offer up any suggestions on how to make the process go as smooth as possible?

I have just received mine and have read over the instructions and for the most part it seems pretty straight forward, but they are not model specific unfortunately so any input from those who have installed them will be appreciated.

I am installing them on a Road Glide, not that it probably matters a whole lot.

Thanks.

·
424 Posts
I installed a set on my '06 RoadGlide several weeks ago...Install was very smooth and easy...Had the dealer do the final wiring due to having to remove the gas tank....Had the gas tank not have to be removed I would have done the entire install...the electrical portion is VERY easy.. MAKE SURE TO TORQUE THE CALIPER BOLTS TO THE RIGHT FT/LBS

Having extra wire ties will make for a cleaner install....hope this helps!!!

Also get the 55 watt bulbs the only way to go!!!!

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joeschmoe said:
I installed a set on my '06 RoadGlide several weeks ago...Install was very smooth and easy...Had the dealer do the final wiring due to having to remove the gas tank....Had the gas tank not have to be removed I would have done the entire install...the electrical portion is VERY easy.. MAKE SURE TO TORQUE THE CALIPER BOLTS TO THE RIGHT FT/LBS

Having extra wire ties will make for a cleaner install....hope this helps!!!

Also get the 55 watt bulbs the only way to go!!!!
Thanks for the info!

I actually have them installed already! I was afraid that I would have to take off the tank, but all I had to do was remove the 3 bolts holding the tank, lift it up a little and slide the cable up to the front and drop the tank back down!

The rest was a piece of cake! I did use plenty of cable ties and torqued the caliper bolts to the correct setting as well. I also got the 55 watt bulbs when I ordered them.

Only thing left now is the leveling of the lights and I should be ready to roll!

·
424 Posts
If you go to Home Depot and get a analog slope level ($6.00)(If you don't have a digital level as they suggest in the install instructions)

You can get it dead on 87 degrees and the motolights will be dead on with the stock Roadglide low beam!!!!:beer4u:

You can be seen day or night regardless of light condition, I believe several cagers saw me before they pulled out in front of me because of the lights!!!

Glad you got'r done so quickly!!!! They are great lights!!!!!!?prty: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Dwarthog, :clap: congrats on the lights. They are awsome day or night. When I get in heavy traffic and am traveling solo I switch them on just as an added safety device. I want those cagers to see me coming.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I went to Home Depot this morning and snagged one of the analog slope levels and will get it dead on tonight and give it a test ride.

Those lights sure look nice on the front of the bike!

·
ALOHA, marooned Doof
249 Posts
Pics & Link

Dwarthog,

Is that the $600-675 lights small round spots.

I saw them on a 2004 SE and they look great and definitely help in being seen.

How about final pics and a link for the lights... would like to add them to the Ultra.

Many thanks.

Punky
05 Ultra
Smokey Gold & Vivid Black

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had them (55 watt) on my 03 Ultra for about 2 years and everyone comments on how bright they are. I don't have as many people pull out in front of me as I did without them. I leave them on all the time, day or night. I also have Piaa bulbs in my head light and passing lamps. With my bright light, passing lamps, and motolights all on at the same time I don't think I can out run my lights at night. They are great. I did have a bulb burn out last year and motolight replaced it free. Great customer service!

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Road-Dawg said:
Dwarthog,

Is that the $600-675 lights small round spots.

I saw them on a 2004 SE and they look great and definitely help in being seen.

How about final pics and a link for the lights... would like to add them to the Ultra.

Many thanks.

Punky
05 Ultra
Smokey Gold & Vivid Black

Yes, they are small round lights that mount on the brake calipers. I got the brushed metal ones with 55w bulbs. Total price was approximately 370 and that included shipping.

I will post up some pic of what they look like or you could check out Road Gliders profile for the pics on his website.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What kind of socket is needed to remove the caliper mounting bolts?

I see the torque specs in the SM, but no spec on the socket.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ptoemmes said:
What kind of socket is needed to remove the caliper mounting bolts?

I see the torque specs in the SM, but no spec on the socket.

Thanks,

Pete
I am not 100% certain, but I think it is called a 12 point socket.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
ptoemmes said:
What kind of socket is needed to remove the caliper mounting bolts? I see the torque specs in the SM, but no spec on the socket.
If you're talking about the 2 big bolts that hold the caliper to the forks, it is most likely a 10mm 12-point socket. It is on my '04 Electra Glide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts