V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a leasurely (not Iron Butt) trip across country this summer - maybe 250-300 miles a day on Route 20 (Pacific to Atlantic). I plan to stay in Days Inn-class motels along the way (with occasional overnights with friends/families where possible). How vulnerable will my bike be to theft? Any tips? Motion-sensitive alarm systems? I'll be taking my Fatboy (no windshield) with saddlebags and a dufflebag strapped across the rear fender/saddlebags. I have a Corbin solo seat that's well broken in - any suggestions on foam/gel strap-on type products to make the seat more road-worthy?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
If you can get first floor rooms where you can roll you bike in, you'll sleep better.

You'll get funny looks fron the cleaning people the next day when you are wheelin' her out the door though.

But besides insurance, what else can we as biker do? Nothing.
Always lock it up, but if someone is hell bent on stealing your scoot, it will be gone.

Sounds like a nice ride... I would just enjoy it! :D

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
To reduce the possibility of theft I would park the bike either:

1. In the room (that probably won't happen too much)
2. Ask for an outside access room on 1st floor and park on the sidewalk, close to your window.
3. Ask to park it under the overhang by the lobby area, where it can be seen by the night staff, will stay dry and be in a lighted area (you want to give the BG's light to work by) :D
4. Buy a plain jane cover like this one:
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=8256CBB0-8BC5-4C51-8E3C-A13570A153F4&brand=jpcycles

That will at least conceal the fact that it's an HD to all but those hell-bent on stealing a motorcycle - any motorcycle.

The odds of having it stolen are pretty low, so I wouldn't worry too much. Besides, as Czar said, if an experienced thief wants it - it's gone!

Sounds like a great trip! Have fun.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you stay at Days inn's you'll want insurance for your credit card. I stayed in one in San Diego a few years ago and had a $300 add to my card for room damage. There was no room damage and when I ask for pictures they sent them of the wrong room. The owners response was I could take him to small claims court, which he knew I lived 5 hours away and wouldn't be able to do it. Corporate said they couldn't do anything because they are independantly owned.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
OldMiC said:
To reduce the possibility of theft I would park the bike either:

3. Ask to park it under the overhang by the lobby area, where it can be seen by the night staff, will stay dry and be in a lighted area (you want to give the BG's light to work by) :D

Number 3 is what I use. I also remove the saddle bags and store them in my room.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
here is what I do...
1) Dowco bike cover with holes on bottom for lock.
Mine goes to the asphalt and goes in a 12x12x 3 bag
Once secured on bike, set the alarm
Keeps the touchy feely folks and kids off the bike
2) Many Hotels allow you to park right by the front door
Again cover it and lock the forks
I usually talk to the clerk before turning in.
Let 'em know it is okay to call you if anytrhing look suspicious
Also, stay away from the corner stalls where a trailer take corner could
take you out
3) Sprinklers
need I say more...? Know to keep away front the stall next to grass
4) If there is a problem, know how to handle it (911, confront the SOB's....)
5) Unplug your Q-Disconnects

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I took a cross country trip in 2000. I never had any problem. Most of the time I was able to park right in front of my room. Just used my common sense and used the same precautions I would use at home. Cover the bike, lock the forks and ignition. If you have them use a chain, cobra links, disc lock, alarm or whatever. Most of the time I just skipped the chains etc and just locked forks, ignition and saddlebags.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My $0.02

Try the Orange place or the Green Place (hardware stores) and get a "Cable Lock". The wire cables are better than chains, as you can’t cut through them as easily.
Lock the FRAME to a post, wheel stop (the concrete things in the parking lots or just rap the cable around the frame and through the wheels so the bike can’t role.
If you park under your window, leave the curtains open some. You want to be able to see the bike.
Check where the security cameras are and make sure that you can be seen by them.

Kenny

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the quick replies so far. I'm surprised that no one has recommended the motion detection alarms. My plan was either overhang (if there was a "night clerk") or right outside my room otherwise. I'll use the ignition and fork locks. My saddlebags are H-D leather bolt-ons and they'll be empty at night. I was seriously considering the pager/siren motion alarm route. Any experience pro/con with those?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Less problems at Best Westerns, very little more $, nicer rooms, better neighborhoods.
It's my official motel.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Thats why I stay in the little single story Bates motel style places. They let you roll em right in the room. I never get any sleep when she is left outside by the window. It's in with me or the campground in which case she is still in with me! Too many willing to take the gamble these days for the cash crop!
Unfortunately many of these guys are doubled up and bikers themselves!

·
Rider
848 Posts
RickinColorado said:
. I'm surprised that no one has recommended the motion detection alarms.
How bout a motion detector alarm? :D

Here's a neat link. You put the detector near the bike and take the alarm in the room. If someone moves near the bike or tries to move the sensor, the alarm goes off. Then when you get home you can also use it as a driveway alert. We have one with three sensors and they work great.

http://www.driveway2020.com/driveway_alert_1000.htm

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
mono filament fishing line... Park the bike close to the door on the sidewalk . tie the line to the bike run the line along the wall and under the door into the room .. Tie it to the empty beer cans that accumulate in the room. Put them on the widow sill . If some one moves the bike the make a hell of a racket.

F'ked with a friend once on the way to Ohio. He went to his room passed out and I pulled the line the cans fell he was out the door in his underware running around and screaming . thinking some one was fk'n with his bike ..

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Don't stay in bad areas. I usually park by the lobby. I do put disc lock on somtimes. Other then that what ya gonna do?

One good thing about the soft resale makret, it should reduce thefts.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
98rk said:
If you stay at Days inn's you'll want insurance for your credit card. I stayed in one in San Diego a few years ago and had a $300 add to my card for room damage. There was no room damage and when I ask for pictures they sent them of the wrong room. The owners response was I could take him to small claims court, which he knew I lived 5 hours away and wouldn't be able to do it. Corporate said they couldn't do anything because they are independantly owned.
You can always start a dispute on a credit card, however.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
RickinColorado said:
I'm planning a leasurely (not Iron Butt) trip across country this summer - maybe 250-300 miles a day on Route 20 (Pacific to Atlantic). I plan to stay in Days Inn-class motels along the way (with occasional overnights with friends/families where possible). How vulnerable will my bike be to theft? Any tips? Motion-sensitive alarm systems? I'll be taking my Fatboy (no windshield) with saddlebags and a dufflebag strapped across the rear fender/saddlebags. I have a Corbin solo seat that's well broken in - any suggestions on foam/gel strap-on type products to make the seat more road-worthy?

I like Comfort Inns. Stayed in them all over the US and Canada.

I always use a plain motorcycle cover and arm the TSSM. Almost 70,000 miles. Zero problems.

Check in early (by 5 pm). Talk to the clerk (politely). I've found that in almost every case they'll either give you a ground floor room, or let you park it within view of the lobby. If you need to wipe your bike down ask for some rags. ALL hotels have stacks of old towels that are great for this purpose. And they are happy that you're not using the good towels from your room.

Have fun!

·
Banned
76 Posts
Tent

I plan on taking a similar trip across country with my 06 dyna. I'm bringing a one man tent that goes up in a heart beat so I can sleep without worry. If your gona take a trip you might as well rough it. There are plenty of national forests (public property) across the country you can stay in for free.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just take the mattress of the bed and sleep next to the Bike! :roflback: wtf

I would and the worries are over! if its raining? take the door off and put it in the room....we do have tools don't we?:bannedmf:

LMAO....Ride Safe!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
newultraclassic said:
You can always start a dispute on a credit card, however.
I had a charge from a Days-Inn that was incorrect to the tune of $352.00. They wouldn't call me back, started a dispute with my credit card, was refused due to the hotel location in Canada. Called Days Inn corporate, which oversees Canadian properties... they could care less.

Luckily, the hotel changed hands and a compassionate manager finally took care of the mischarge... 6 months later and hours invested.

Be careful with hotels... they are a strong lobby with the credit card companies. Make sure you get a zero balance upon checking out or you could be out of luck.

Days Inn... never again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts