Year:
2006 Make:
Harley-Davidson Model:
FXDB Recall Date:
11/22/2005
Potential Number of Units Affected: 10498
Manufactured:
Defect Summary:

On certain motorcycles, the transmission may go into a false neutral position even though the neutral indicator light is illuminated.

Consequence Summary:

The motorcycle could drop into gear unexpectedly and create the risk of a crash and injuries.

Corrective Summary:

Dealers will replace the shifter cam (drum), the detent arm, and the neutral switch with newly designed components. The recall is expected to begin during December 2005. Owner should contact Harley-Davidson at 1-414-343-4056.

·
Banned
154 Posts
StreetBobMike said:
Dealers will replace the shifter cam (drum), the detent arm, and the neutral switch with newly designed components. The recall is expected to begin during December 2005. Owner should contact Harley-Davidson at 1-414-343-4056.
Thanks Mike! That was the info I was looking for.

:welcome: to VTF BTW

·
Registered
181 Posts
Interesting there that it only mentions the FXDB models...from what I heard it's on all 2006 Dyna models, though I have yet to receive anything in the mail from HD telling me my model is recalled.

I just looked through my service manual for the 06 Dyna's and those parts mentioned as being the ones that will be replaced are deep inside. They have to tear a lot of stuff out to replace them. This bugs me because I can guarantee my bike will get scratched up in the process. I've got too much chrome for them not to be careful doing things because it's not their bike. I've never had this popping out of neutral thing happen to me so I'm half tempted to just ignore this recall and leave things alone.

Scott
2006 FXDCI

·
Registered
18 Posts
PowerCobra98... I hear ya about the chrome damage...
Been there... A long time ago... had my '68 Electra Glide
dropped by a dealer still had the crap dug into my grip
and bag... they tried to claim I did it... Sorry but them old
glides vibrated a lil bit no sand would of stayed on it...
The manager agreed... The punk that dropped mine had
dropped others he got fired for lying... among other things..:badmood:
but.. they replaced everything bag top, fairing and bag guard. I'd take pictures of your bike just incase...:hmmm:
Skee..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oops... said fairing... it was a windshield...
Geeezz I don't think fairings were around then in the
early 70's...:hystria:
Getting Old I guess^rolleyez^

·
Banned
154 Posts
PowerCobra98 said:
Interesting there that it only mentions the FXDB models...from what I heard it's on all 2006 Dyna models, though I have yet to receive anything in the mail from HD telling me my model is recalled.

I just looked through my service manual for the 06 Dyna's and those parts mentioned as being the ones that will be replaced are deep inside. They have to tear a lot of stuff out to replace them. This bugs me because I can guarantee my bike will get scratched up in the process. I've got too much chrome for them not to be careful doing things because it's not their bike. I've never had this popping out of neutral thing happen to me so I'm half tempted to just ignore this recall and leave things alone.

Scott
2006 FXDCI
The first two mentioned are inside the tranny. Apparently the will need to pull it out, then open up the tranny to replace them. Wonder how long it will take them to do this?

·
Registered
181 Posts
phreak_of_natur said:
The first two mentioned are inside the tranny. Apparently the will need to pull it out, then open up the tranny to replace them. Wonder how long it will take them to do this?
Not sure, perhaps a day or so once your bike goes in for service.

I know one thing for sure though, I don't want to be one of the first ones to go in for this. I'll wait til next Spring or Summer and let the techs get a good understanding of what needs to happen and have them cut their teeth on other owners bikes.

·
Banned
154 Posts
PowerCobra98 said:
Not sure, perhaps a day or so once your bike goes in for service.

I know one thing for sure though, I don't want to be one of the first ones to go in for this. I'll wait til next Spring or Summer and let the techs get a good understanding of what needs to happen and have them cut their teeth on other owners bikes.
So far I've had no issues with false neutrals on my Bob. But then again I'm overly cautious, and untrusting of the neutral indicator. It's a habit I picked up long ago from dirt bikes that didn't have one.

I might just ride this one out too.

I was hoping the work to repair this would have to be performed in the primary. That would have provided me with an excuse to get the forward controls put on at the same time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
06 Super Glide

my Glide is one of the recalled, HD customer service is refuseing to pay for new Syn3 to replace the Syn3 i have in there now [close to 1000 miles on Syn3]. they want to drain it out and then pour it back in after the repair! or use new nonSyn3 trany oil!
shop where i bought the bike says they'll use new Syn3 for $5 cost on my part, $5 = Differance in qt of Syn3 vs dyno trany oil.

after putting up with this recall junk their trying to hold me up for $5.
over $5 they have turned a loyal HD costumer into a vary unhappy one!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Better Business Bureau is always a good way to go. I received a free windshield from Honda by writing the BBB. That is lame they wont put in the syn3 though, I dont even get that...

Later,
Chap

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
FYI: Confirmed with dealer 12/06/2005 that the Motor Co. will be shipping parts on 12/12. My dealer expects them on or about the 15th.

Vin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts