V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fella's, I'm looking at doing some work to the 2000 FatBoy and I am doing some research. My plan is to punch her out to 95", use some Crane cams with a .570 lift and either buy a pair of S.E. performance heads or have mine massaged. I have a website that I think links you to the business Hippo works for, Charlies machine shop if I'm not mistaken. Hippo is this correct? At any rate they appear to offer porting and valve size correction for $750.

I have a couple of questions, which would be better the S.E. heads or having mine worked over. Also, how many cubic inches will the stock 40mm carb support adequately. I love the CV carb but do not want to pay $350 for the S.E. 44mm and manifold. I could put a 42mm Mikuni flat slide on for $275...but again I would rather work with the one I already own if it's practicle.

Anyone else had any head work done or purchased the S.E. performance heads? I'm looking for someone who is really good to do the work if I do not buy the S.E. performance heads.

The bike currently has a Hypercharger, Thunderslide kit, V&H Straight Shots and a S.E. performance ignition. I believe the proposed additions should round out the engine really well.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Budman

·
Registered
75 Posts
You'll get more out of reworked heads no matter who does them.
I'll have Charlie answer you on monday. We have several stages of heads available. The regular Vortec heads are $595.00 exchange.
Perhaps you should just e-mail the shop for further questions.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
A properly rejetted CV40 will support 100HP, but the Thunderslide and the lighter springs are not the way I would choose to go about it.
The 44 will give you a few more horses on top and the HSR42 will give you the impression of better throttle response.
Either one of these carbs would have to be rejetted as well.
The choice of air intake and exhaust is bound to cost you some.

If you have not figured it out the above post was mine also, from the shop. Just keep getting interrupted there. The computer just happened to be logged in under Charlie's name.

·
old timer
516 Posts
And let us not forget you'll need to re-cam the motor to take advantage of the flowed heads and added cubic inches.

manny

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What Happened?

Thanks for the input Manny, I couldn't agree more. In my original post I had mentioned that I was going for a set of Crane cams with a .570 lift. I also posted a response to Hippo's info that did not appear to make it to the post. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong there as well.

Perhaps I will have better luck this time...

Hippo, I'm very interested in your comments about the intake and pipes. I was under the impression the the V&H Straight Shots were among the best. I was also led to believe that the HyperCharger was as well. I take it that you are saying there is a flow restriction there somewhere. If there is please advise as I am trying to make a great, streetable, smooth and most importantly...reliable motor.

Once again, thanks for all of the input guy's. I hope this reply makes it to the board.

Budman

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I believe there is a new version of the V&H drag style pipes with a hidden cross over, but I suppose that with a 00 bike I figured it would be the original version. Generally this type of pipe makes for poor midrange torque and makes it hard to tune fuel delivery properly over a wide range of conditions.

As far as the Hyperchargers I doubt they flow as effectively as a SE intake kit, but that's more opinion then fact. I just feel the vacuum operated butterflies are a gimmick more then anything else.
Some like the looks of them and they probably don't make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Before I bought my flht I had a fxdx with s&s superecarb, v&h two into one exhaust and screaming eagle adjustable ignition. bike dynoed 72 hp. Installed andrews tw 50 cam and screaming eagle heads bike dynoed 90 hp 88 ft lbs of torque with stock bore. I was happy with the heads.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Budman,

I,m running the SE heads on a hi-comp (10.5to 1) 95" mill with .569 lift cams (SE 257) along with roller rockers, 40 mm CV w/Thunderslide, 48 slow - 195 main jets, Hypercharger, Samson Street Sweepers w/torque cones and SE 6200 RPM race ign.

This bike rips! Makes smooth power to six grand and nary a cough or hiccup.

I'm sure there's better stuff out there but this engine was built to proven specs from the P&A catalog to make one horsepower and one lb. ft. of torque per cubic inch displacement.

I plan to pick up a Road King or Electraglide once my truck is paid off and possibly go with Branch or SE-HTCC heads and SE 211 cams with the big bore setup.

Granted, trick ported heads along with exotic hi-po complimenting go fast goodies will make more power but if you break something, how's the availability or lack thereof these parts going to effect your down time.

Just remember to use complimenting parts and don't get too crazy with the cams. The Cranes you mentioned are pretty close to the SE (Comp Cams) I'm running. They're about all I'd ever want for the street.

Just my $.02

G

·
Ya know, if these threads had more descriptive titles, you wouldn't have a smart a$$ like me jumping in to say that I completely support the concept of more head ... :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Catchy Title

Thanks for all the input fellas. Sometimes it just helps to hear what other people think, or what their experience is. One thing I found that I can pass along is that I couldn't get anyone to totally answer my questions and would leave key pieces of info out.

I have decided to go with the S.E. heads, ordered them yesterday as a matter of fact. The main reason is that Harley laid everything out and didn't get vague about anything. I talked face to face with Donny Peterson of Heavy Duty Cycles in Toronto last Thursday evening. He was helpful and is a great resource of knowledge, but I think our very own Hippo is right there himself. The bottom line was that no performance shop would completely answer my questions. I asked about valve sizes, compression ratio and price. Doesn't seem like much, but believe me no one put all those pieces into their reply.

Knowing that some of you guys are using the S.E. heads and are getting some really good numbers really makes me feel good! I have taken 2 years to look, think, ask questions and learn. I think I am going to build a very strong motor that will last and won't be tempermental. By the way, I think no mammal would disagree , male or female, that more head is always better.

Budman

·
Registered
52 Posts
Budman,

I had an earlier thread along the same line as yours. Hippo informed me they could do some pretty good magic with the se heads.

That way you have all the se top end parts, the higher compression of the se head and the shop porting to make it breathe even better.

If you go that way, keep me informed. I'm thinking about it, but keep killing my savings for 'one more item for the bike'...;)

Although I keep telling myself the Corbin seat was a necessity as the oem one put my legs to sleep.

At any rate let us know and have fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
we have heads now with vortec intake ports and anti-reversion
exhaust for $595 excange.we have reports from custmers of
110 ft torque -108 hp i personally see 103 ft-lbs torque-100 hp
we also offer cylinder heads for stroker engines with 2in valves
if i can be of any assistance cotact us at 1-800-597-0922
short-block charlie

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I agree with Doc about the S/E heads. If it where me I would do a little port clean up and polish the exhause track only. I feel (I ant no pro) that home porting can give you at least 3% increase in overall output. I have seen that form my own work, The big deal is not to do too much, without the tool folks like SBC & others have home porting should be limmited to cleaning up the casting flaws and making sure the cc volums are the same and maybe matching the ports to the seats (at your own risk).

I also feel the CV40 dose very well with a little work, I like making the slide lighter and polishing the mouth of the carb& slide. Of course I always port match the intake/carb/AC so to allow best flow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts