V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an FXDWG and an '04 Sportster. Neither of these bikes have alot of charging power. 22 Amps for the Sportster and I think 38 for the Dyna. Is there any way I can get more power out of these bikes?

How about a different Stator that can bolt in along with a different voltage regulator. I know the Touring bikes have about 50 Amps and the New Ulysses has 35 Amps. Can I retrofit these? What changes would be necessary?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
My question is why? Are you planning on adding a lot of eletrical accessories to the bikes? If not the stock charging system will handle the existing lights and battery charging just fine.
The larger systems are designed to handle the demands of all the electronics you can add to the bikes, radio, GPS, accessory lights and heated items. They will supply current to the items and still allow the battery to maintain its charge.
Adding additional Stator output power will not charge the battery any faster or better if you are not currently using all the power on other accessories that the bike has available.
And yes you can upgrade you stator and VR to a more powerful unit on the WG, not sure about the Sprotster.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my dyna I would like to run auxillary lighting, 2 sets of heated clothing, and power a GPS, Chatterbox, radar dector, and my cell phone. I just don't think the stock charging system on the Dyna will keep up.

The Sportster I plan to run one set of heated clothing, auxilary lighting, and a chatterbox. I know it won't keep up.

I need more power, before I go to Alaska. That's the plan at least!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.