V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 37g's in my 98" GMR (street port heads) Eglide and am going to do a similar build for a friend on his 00 RK except the head work will be more extensive. As I like to dink around with the motor I thought it might be interesting to try a different cam, maybe use it in the new build for my friend. What cams might I consider and how would the results compare with what I'm currently running?

Thanks,
Rick
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,508 Posts
eglider05 said:
I'm running 37g's in my 98" GMR (street port heads) Eglide and am going to do a similar build for a friend on his 00 RK except the head work will be more extensive. As I like to dink around with the motor I thought it might be interesting to try a different cam, maybe use it in the new build for my friend. What cams might I consider and how would the results compare with what I'm currently running?

Thanks,
Rick
A Bob Wood # 6 will have more throughout, when it is set-up correctly, and tuned correctly, even at 95".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
eglider05 said:
I'm running 37g's in my 98" GMR (street port heads) Eglide and am going to do a similar build for a friend on his 00 RK except the head work will be more extensive. As I like to dink around with the motor I thought it might be interesting to try a different cam, maybe use it in the new build for my friend. What cams might I consider and how would the results compare with what I'm currently running?

Thanks,
Rick
We have the new RR525, a bump up from the 37, more torque earlier and over a broader range. Desinged as a bolt in for little or no head work, will take more compression than the 37 therefore more torque. If the head work is more extensive with more inches I would use the RR615. The 615 was a design from R&R that was actually a redesign of an S&S 585 with 1.75 intake rockers made so you didn't have to buy the rockers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Hey Scott, many times I have read your comments about the Woods 6 cam being "set up correctly". Since I am using those cams (TW 6-6) in my 103 upgrade this winter, would you please explain to me exactly you mean by set up correctly?
Thanks, MMR
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,508 Posts
Correctly

mtnmotorrider said:
Hey Scott, many times I have read your comments about the Woods 6 cam being "set up correctly". Since I am using those cams (TW 6-6) in my 103 upgrade this winter, would you please explain to me exactly you mean by set up correctly?
Thanks, MMR
What I am refering to with that cam, would be the head set-up as far as compression, velocity, and volume. We have worked that cam for years and it is always a home run, for the intended purpose.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
OK, gotcha. I'm running Big Boyz Street Port 85 cc heads with stock valves and springs ('07 version), .030 hg with 0 deck hieght. I thought you were referring to spring and rocker set up. I don't plan to change those except for MAYBE going to S&S forged non-roller rockers. Do you know if they are any lighted than stock?
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
With all things given I do not think you are going to see any HUGE gains with a 6 cam over a 37, now the 525 is a bit more than a 37 . Again most are with in the smae range with all things given. The woods will respond to more compression better than the 37. I plan on doing a head to head test with the 6 cam and the 525 in the near future , time provided of course, you can only have so many irons in the fire at one time HA HA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I have looked for the specs on the 525 and can not seem to find them on the King of Cubes site or any other. Can one of you direct me on this? I have both King of Cubes and Woods saved as favorites but I am assuming the
TW6-6 is for the new chain drive or is it something different? Does it have the same specs as a TW6? Thanks for the direction.
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
386 Posts
Here are the specs I got for the 525 cams

"20/38 in 238 duration 100
48/16 ex 244 duration 106 103 lsa"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,508 Posts
Cam specs

Grumpster said:
I have looked for the specs on the 525 and can not seem to find them on the King of Cubes site or any other. Can one of you direct me on this? I have both King of Cubes and Woods saved as favorites but I am assuming the
TW6-6 is for the new chain drive or is it something different? Does it have the same specs as a TW6? Thanks for the direction.
It is the same cam, but the -6 designates it for 06 and up.
We have incorporated that cam into a 117" combo that we have built several times now, and they roll out at 139-142 ft/lbs at 3300 rpms at 9.8/1 cr, every time. The entry level rider could get hurt on it. It turns on like a light switch.
That 6 cam keeps the cost down as far as springs, and roller rockers, and geometry corrections, but delivers like others that need those.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I like the TW-6 and have used it with the +4 for good results. With a .510 lift I had no idea that it would do that well in that big of an engine. As far as the 525 what is the lift at TDC. Just trying to get a feel for it. I have a 95" that is getting a set of wheels along with other upgrades and want a good package. FLHTC 2005 so you know where I want the power to come on. I would prefer to use flat tops with around 10/1 for this bike in order to keep reliability in mind. I hope I am not overlooking this on their web site and asking for information that is there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
It is the same cam, but the -6 designates it for 06 and up.
We have incorporated that cam into a 117" combo that we have built several times now, and they roll out at 139-142 ft/lbs at 3300 rpms at 9.8/1 cr, every time. The entry level rider could get hurt on it. It turns on like a light switch.
That 6 cam keeps the cost down as far as springs, and roller rockers, and geometry corrections, but delivers like others that need those.
Scott
Wow, that's pretty amazing, that's better than one of our 127's with the R&R heads on our dyno (SAE) especially at 3,300 rpm at 9.8 to 1 compression.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,508 Posts
Power Kit

KingofCubes said:
Wow, that's pretty amazing. That's better than one of our 127's with the R&R heads on our dyno (SAE) especially at 3,300 rpm at 9.8 to 1.
Randy,
It is at 110 ft/lbs at 1800, 130 at around 2400-2500, and it is still hanging at 130 around 4200, but she falls off pretty good after that, doesn't make a lot of hp but who cares. If that is a 10/1 cr it would be the max. D&D Fatcat and a S&S 54 mm t/body with their Tuned Induction. Joe's pullin' the tuning trigger, we "just put 'em togather".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
Grumpster said:
Thanks for the responses. I like the TW-6 and have used it with the +4 for good results. With a .510 lift I had no idea that it would do that well in that big of an engine. As far as the 525 what is the lift at TDC. Just trying to get a feel for it. I have a 95" that is getting a set of wheels along with other upgrades and want a good package. FLHTC 2005 so you know where I want the power to come on. I would prefer to use flat tops with around 10/1 for this bike in order to keep reliability in mind. I hope I am not overlooking this on their web site and asking for information that is there.
The TDC's for that RR525 bolt in cam are 185/163. Hope that helps.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top