V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i ride where the temp is between 60deg and 105degF all year round. my handbook for 92 bikes says sae 50 for that range. now i know some of the advantages for a mono lube ie film strength but am still nagged by possible DISADVANTAGES eg one tech article said that 50 was too thick to operate the lifters properly coz of the small orifaces involved. can some lube guru (not ky) give me any negatives on monograde oil for my application with maybe a few more of the advantages i might expect. thanx george ;>)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just my penny worth, use a 20-60 synthetic. Will give you the best lube at start-up which is where the bulk of wear takes place, and the protection you are after when running hot. 50 weight oil in a close tollerance motor will not lube so well at start up.
If you doubt me contact Redline/Mobile/Amsoil and get their advice, they should know.

Hope that helps some

WB

·
Registered
6 Posts
ulx 110

hi lock here

I ride a '03 xl1200s and for a while I was on the usual oil trail and I looked around a fair bit at different oils and their why's and wherefores.
This is what I came up with ULX110, 20-50w it is an American oil so I don't know why you guys arn't using it.
I was using Valvoline and it seemed a good oil,but one of my mates told me about ULX110 and after using it I am sold.
It is used by all the boat racers and a lot of the nav car racers, because if they use this stuff they don't have to pull their motors down after every race. This stuff can not only handle the heat, but it can handle the pressure of a high performance motor without breaking down.
You notice the difference immidiately you start your bike, it starts easier, it runs quieter and smoother,after a long hard ride the oil tank is warm ( not hot ) to the touch and you don't (if you don't want to) have to change your oil as often.
I used to change my oil every 2500km, but now I change oil and filter every 5000km and it is still good viscosity in the oil.
I live in Sth Australia and it can get very hot here, the other day it got to 47c, thats about 114F and I still rode my bike with no problems and that was through the city stopping at the lights and all, sooo I would say use it and see for yourself, I reckon you'll be amazed.
It costs about $50aus for 5ltrs. to buy it here so maybe less there.
And no I don't sell it.

Thanks for listening

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there you go again john, asking those danged stupid questions again that no one knows sweet fuk all about and doesn't care sweet fuk all about. so just join the rubs and buy some multigrade at your local rub boutique scoot shop. you'll prolly find it behind the tee shirts and fake kickers, right there beside the screamin eagle male perfume ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts