V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rubber Side Down!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Looking for some expert guidance on steps I can take to improve my 2006 Ultra Classic - SE103. Bike was purchased new off the showroom floor with the 29877-06 SE103 kit, SERT and V&H ovals installed. Through several iterations of tunings and pipe changes, I finally selected the D&D Fatcat. Through the first year, I had many troubles with pinging and the motor running hot. The dealer I purchased from covered these efforts under warranty, but in my opinion did not have a good tech who really knew how to properly tune to solve these issues. The bike now has 9500 miles and I am running SYN3 for what it's worth.

Eventually, they "detuned" the bike, throwing a lot of fuel at the problem and called it good. I have always felt that the bike has never run properly, but I am not experienced to know well enough.

We moved to TN recently and I had the local Knoxville dealer have a look. They recommended changing the injectors(TSB on 2006 models?) and retune. I had them go ahead with the work. Other than some minor popping on decel(2500-2900rpm) and subtle surging below 2500, the bike runs better than I remember since it was new. Pinging is all but gone with 93 octane. However, to me it still feels sluggish at lower(<2500) RPM. Additionally, the motor is exhibiting more valve train "like" noise - much more than any 96 or 88 I have heard with similar mileage. Used to have an '05 Heritage TC88B that was quiet as any I have heard. The dealer tells me this motor likes to run above 3K RPM and sounds "normal" - go figure.

The bike is covered under the HD extended warranty for another 2 years. However, i would like to see if there are changes that can be made to improve the ridability. My original desire with the bigger motor was to handle the typical weight of touring with "2 up". I figured some extra power would be nice, but not if I have to operate at 4K to get it!

Looking for expert opinions on CAM changes, head work, and the like that will improve this motor for my tastes(better low end torque, but still enough at 70MPH to pass someone without dropping two gears). I believe the SE103 kit comes with the SE253 CAM's.

Thank you in advance for your input.

/HD

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
No expoert here but I believe that cam is a power killer. That SE kit is most likely low compression also which doesnt help. I'm guessing your cheapest easiest improvement would be a cam swap.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
just installed a woods tw6g in an 04 SE 103 glide. made a world of difference. hits hard from idle.

the 253 cams were lazy and only worked at high rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Harley Dog: The two years is most likely the HD "Extended Service Plan." It's not a warranty extension although it seems like one. I mention this because it has terms that are very strict, if enforced, to deny coverage on a motorcycle that has had the powertrain modified since the ESP was purchased. I don't recall the exact language but you ought to take a look at it before pulling the heads, changing cams, etc. particularly if you are considering having the HD store do the work.

Also, you don't mention if you have a SERT or how the mods will be tuned.

If it was my bike, and was ESP-concerned, I'd go with a good bolt in cam and find a good SERT tuner and have the cams done by an indy or at the HD store with an understanding Service Manager. The Tmax and DTT might well be too obvious and mod and compromise the ESP if installed. Your history sounds like the bike has never had a good tune because the techs were trying to do it with downloads--or you have a SERT and the techs didn't know how to tune.

I think you would be pleased with Head-Quarters HQ-0034 bolt in cams since it's a good low compression cam. Give Doug a call for his recommendation.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
I installed a set of Zippers Redshift 575 cams in an 06 SE Fatboy this spring, with the stock pipes it pulled 109 tq and 96 hp and the seat of the pants gains are excellent, you will need adjustable pushrods with these cams as they have a smaller base circle, they also make a little noise much like the woods cams I have heard, not terrible, but noticeable nonetheless. Oh, and no pinging problems with a fairly aggressive advance curve.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I wonder if the HD dealer would be willing to put a 4+ degree advance gear on that 253 cam? Maybe it will give you the drivability your looking for and an easier sert tune. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??? sounds like a cheap fix without loosing the warr..

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
hugie03flhr said:
I wonder if the HD dealer would be willing to put a 4+ degree advance gear on that 253 cam? Maybe it will give you the drivability your looking for and an easier sert tune. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??? sounds like a cheap fix without loosing the warr..

It might still void your warranty technically by doing a modification. It's BS but they could say thats the cause. I never ever recommend the extended warranty due to there excessive rules.

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I fins it hard to see how swapping in another cam can VOID the warranty they are using a "performance" cam now so what is the big deal?? Swap in a woods 6 or 7 cam and use a thinner head gasket ( .030) and go ride the bike.

So are they going to tell you the cam damaged the crank or pistons, ??? Seems very pettie to me but hey just my 2 cents worth

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
FWIW

They don't sell these policies for you to save money. These insurance companies sell these policies to make money and WILL deny coverage when ever possible (we deal with these companies in auto repair).

What are your options;

1) Find a good tuner. Go for a ride north to Hillside and have Joe do it.
2) You could possibly cancel the policy and get a refund for the unused portion left.
3) Do what Steve said, don't tell anyone and claim that's the way you got it. And that's what I would do.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts