V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is a 2006 FLSTNI...

Can the stock mufflers be modified to perform well? Can the baffles come out easily for modification? What is involved?

Same questions for the Harley Davidson slip ons that are 49 state legal.

I would probably just buy the SE2 slip ons but they did not make them for the Deluxe.

I could buy Cycle Shack slip ons but they are a little loud for what I am looking for right now. Looking for something that keeps the stock headpipe 1 3/4" diameter and will perform without being to loud. Otherwise, I will just deal with the noise and go with Cycle Shacks ...they are proven performers.

Thanks in advance for the help...

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Baffles Out

I took the baffels out of my 05 fatboy stock mufflers.... the sound is unbelievable. i get more compliments on the sound of my bike than any of my friends with their expensive pipes...!!

the baffels come out real easy... i used a dremel and cut the welds at the end of the pipe and the baffel will come right out... the baffel is about 6 inches long. 15 minute job. best thing i ever did to the bike, the stock muffler only lasted the ride home from the shop.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For the Fullsac's you would have to call Steve. I know he does the touring mufflers but not sure about the FLST's. Mine are there now being done. He says you will get a couple more HP over the SE's!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FLSTFI04 said:
I took the baffels out of my 05 fatboy stock mufflers.... the sound is unbelievable. i get more compliments on the sound of my bike than any of my friends with their expensive pipes...!!

the baffels come out real easy... i used a dremel and cut the welds at the end of the pipe and the baffel will come right out... the baffel is about 6 inches long. 15 minute job. best thing i ever did to the bike, the stock muffler only lasted the ride home from the shop.
Did you modify the baffles and put them back in or just leave them out?

Did you have to take the mufflers off the bike to get the baffle out?

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
when i cut the baffles out of mine i took the mufflers off, however when i cut the baffles out of my buddy's Heritage i left them on and it was much easier. There was no modification except pulling the baffle out, but once the baffles are out they are out and will not go back in.... but if you look on ebay there are stock pipes for sale all the time... so if it's too loud you can always put stock pipes back on.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FLSTFI04 said:
when i cut the baffles out of mine i took the mufflers off, however when i cut the baffles out of my buddy's Heritage i left them on and it was much easier. There was no modification except pulling the baffle out, but once the baffles are out they are out and will not go back in.... but if you look on ebay there are stock pipes for sale all the time... so if it's too loud you can always put stock pipes back on.
Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Performance

When you removed the baffles from your stock pipes, did you notice any change in performance? Did you have to re-tune the EFI?

Thanks

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
FLSTFI04 said:

So you are running straight pipes basically with the small cross over that comes on the stock HD pipes. Can you say LEAN!!!!!! I hope you have had your bike retuned or rejetted depending on carb or EFI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
now what

I also have an 06 Delux and like the stock pipes, so I cut out a 1 1/4" hole through the back of the baffle on the stock pipes. Sounds great!

With that complete, if I get the airfilter kit and have the bike re-maped, will I get the same or simular performance as getting aftermarket pipes?

BTW: is there any chance of damaging anything on the engine?:unsure:

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Wide Glide Mods

At my 1000 mile service, the dealer removed the baffles from my stock mufflers (at my request) when I purchased the SE air cleaner kit (fortunately I got one with the K&S filter). He downloaded a new map in it, and performance has been flawless. While I didn't have him run it on the dyno, the seat-of-the-pants feel is excellent. Power is smooth throughout the rpm range, and there is no popping or cutting up while decelerating. I've been very pleased.

And the sound is great, IMHO. I listened to the SE mufflers, and several other aftermarket pipes, then heard the uncorked stock mufflers and thought they had a really nice mellow tone, no raspiness, and plenty loud enough to get your attention. At cruise, they can be heard easily, without being overly loud or irritating.

I even like the looks of them. I think Harley is the only company out there that knows how to style a muffler (shorty Sportster style).

Yep, I'm happy with 'em. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks... that is great news! i wonder if removing the whole baffle is any better than the 1 1/4" hole I cut in the baffle?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I never had any other mod work done. it is fuel injected and it runs a little lean, but not nearly as bad as many i have seen. On occasion after really twisting the grip i will get a backfire maybe a "little blue pop" out of the back... the local HD shop said it wasnt enough to do any damage and it could be fixed if i wanted but i chose to leave it as is. A buddy of mine with a Heratage had the Screaming Eagles and wasnt as impressed with those as he was with the work i did with the stock and within a month his stock pipes were back on with no baffels. And if you don't like it, you can always change to something else, no harm done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the Cycle Shack slip on tapered mufflers on mine and they have a nice low rumble to them without being too loud. Can't beat the price either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.