V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the research I've done on this topic, modifying the pipes on your V-Rod will require recalibrating the engine; and moreover will rarely result in an increase in power (however it may reduce the weight somewhat..); and in most cases it reults in a significant decrease in peak HP.

The question I have is: Why bother? Harley engineers (or maybe Porsche engineers) spent a lot of time and money developing the Revolution engine. Fuel-injected engines especially need backpressure to keep them running smoothly. If you want a bad a$$ sounding Harley (or other bike for that matter) you've got plenty of options out there. For me, the real appeal of the V-Rod is that the combination of water-cooled engine, fuel-injection, plus the most beautiful styling I've ever seen on a street-legal bike; result in a motorcycle that achieves the near-impossible: a Harley that even non-Harley lovers can love.

Yes, I've heard the arguments about pipes: Loud Pipes Save Lives (whose life? blind pedestrians?); but in reality that idiot yakking on a cell-phone in a minivan is gonna pull out in front of you regardless of how much rumble your bike creates. Check with Mr. Doppler if you don't believe me - most of the sound arrives in the intersection after you do.

To all those V-Rodders out there who swapped the stock pipes for Samsons, Bubs, or Screaming Eagles; I'm happy if you're happy. But as for me, I'm gonna keep this particular part of the bike stock until I get a better reason to change it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Amen. If I had wanted an Evo or Pan Head sound, I would have bought a soft-tail or an old hard-tail or something. Another thing, with these after market pipes that are going to give you that "traditional" harley sound (while you're sitting there at a stop light) are going to be ridiculously loud and obnoxious when you're running at 6000 rpm's or more and this is where the bike likes to run and shows one of it's personalities. I've got the Screamin' Eagle muffler and a K&N air filter. The exhaust note has gotten deeper and phatter over the course of 2400 miles. Works for me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Maybe it's me but I thought that if you went with Stage 1, Screamin Eagles and K&N you got something like 5-7 HP. I was told that people have seen this at the Dyno runs that HD put on at the various events, like bike week.

The nicest thing about the Screamin Eagles slip on mufflers is that they are fairly quite. I have heard the Samson’s are very loud and they don't allow enough back pressure. Due to the freer flowing or lack of exhaust back pressure the injectors can't be tweaked enough and have resulted in burn valves. That is only what I have heard and I am happy with the stage 1.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stage 1's + KN = More HP

VA is correct in saying that it is possible to gain a slight HP increase when combining the Stage 1's with a K&N filter. But by the time you have paid for your parts, plus the labor to install them and recalibrate the electronics, you've probably spent the better part of a grand. Not that the V-Rod isn't worth it, more that it doesn't need it (IMHO).

If I'm going to spend that kind of money on the bike, I'll probably opt for a passenger pillion that doesn't seem designed to make it easy for your significant other to end up on her keister in an intersection, a windshield so that freeway cruising isn't quite so taxing on your upper body, and a few chrome goodies to show the world how much I like my bike.. (as if writing a check for 20 large isn't proof enough..)

One area I plan on discussing with Harley engineers the next time I get the chance (my g/f works for the company) is the use of synthetic lubricants. Everything I have ever been told about motor oils and internal combustion engines tells me that once you are past the "break-in" period, synthetics hold up better and provide more wear resistance than conventional oils. See this for more info on synthetics . I respect tradition as much as the next guy, but it will take more than that to convince me that dead dino juice is the right oil for my bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had lots of loud bikes, and frankly, after riding my V-Rod with screamin eagles since Feb., I wince when sombody with straight pipes comes up next to me. I wonder how I ever put up with that volume. As far as the VRSCA sound goes...you bought this bike because it was very original in styling and unlike anything HD had ever done right? So why the big rush to make it sound like every other HD on the road? And let's face reality, the bike has a smaller displacement than a 1200 sporty, and the 60 degree cylinder angle is not condusive to the "traditional Harley sound".

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't get it either. The Vrod is different. HD has proven they can make 100+ HP and remain quiet. I agree, 5-7 HP for a Grand is steep. Now if it knocked off 30 lbs as well, we might be talking.

I had several guys ask me this weekend if my vrod was running - at idle -LOL. They never even heard me coming when I passed them.

I talked to a guy that had Samsons. It was loud. He said w/o the cones it was a dog. He also said about every 20 times it would not start until he disconnected the battery. Things that make you go Hmmmm.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah the Samsons are baaaaaad news, steer clear!!!

It's just a matter of time before a decent product will come out that will be loud *and* beneficial.
Anyone here used the "Power Commander" product on their rod yet???

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Thank you V-Rod Drew, I was sure that Christian Johann Doppler and I were the only ones shaking our heads about the "loud pipes..." thing. Fact is some of these cannon style pipes will piss off enough people that eventually it will make ANY noise illegal. I wonder if anyone has heard the new "double barrel" (see PIC.) eagle package?

·
Registered
6 Posts
pipes

i have the sampsons on for 2000 mi and you right you lose power till you remap for the pipes its way to lean i added the power com 3 and they already have a remap for sampson 115hp 79tq dont go without remap you will burn valves running lean pipes flow to well dont be afraid of loud pipes

·
Registered
450 Posts
SE2's --15 Gauge Double Barrels-- I THINL all of you guys would be happy with these pipes as a solution. they add about (seat of the pants guess) 10 HP and more torque. They are quiet but do make a statement NOT like the Sampsons.

Parts cost is about $700 including the remap module $149, K&N filter-$65, Air sensor relocationkit-$69.95 and the pipes $449. The labor is
either yours or the dealer .

In my experience even if later on you decided to put another set of pipes on, the other stuff provides a much better baseline environment.

·
Registered
543 Posts
VrodDrew,
Man, you are right on target on this subject. I would not sacrifice even 1 HP to have louder pipes. Would I like to have a little more noise ? Sure !! But until I see guys posting Dyno results that actually improve performance and give them more rumble, I think I will just save my money. Very soon someone will have the pipes we all long for. The 16 gauge doubles may be louder, but in my opinion they dont have the style and looks of the stock and original SE pipes. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.