V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long ago while looking through a bike mag,I read about true dual exhaust.Started to look into doing this on my '01 FLHTC.Went to the stealer to ask thier oppinion and was surprised to hear them say"The performance gains vs. the dollars spent are not worth doing.On the dyno we have seen little benefit from dual exhaust on a bagger."Then I went to a local independant shop and got the same basic response from them.I was /am shocked,neither tried to sell me a product.Now, my question is this.I have found that about 75% of the exhaust comes out of the right side muffler.Why is that and could the stock headpipe have a plug welded internally to force the rear cylinder to exit out the left like it should?I do see that it is a real sharp 90* turn out of the rear cylinder,but would this work.What effects will this have.Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No you can't, the rear cylinder would eventually be toast as it would grossly overheat due to excessive backpressure.

What you can do is exactly the opposite, remove the Y pipe, grind out the protrusion from the pipe that goes to the left, and plug the pipe run that goes to the left forcing all the exhaust out of the right side, giving the rear cylinder exhaust a less restricted shot.

You end up with a poor man's 2 into 1 not unlike a propipe. The gains are modest but so is the cost, you eliminate a lot of the backfiring on deccel and you keep the dual pipe look which to some is a factor.

The 2 into 2 on the baggers is a little better then the stock headpipes but it is hard to justify the cost. The ones made by Bub's are junk and the ones made by Hooker are real pricey. It is almost the same as removing the crossover on the little bikes, and they are generally not that well supported so they vibrate more then normal, maybe not at first but they will eventually.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts